Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomocal View Post
Ok...thanks for this info on Sarasota. It seems like a small town feel kind of city and jobs are not plenty but when you get one you are one of the few, am i right? I would fit into the Admin Asst. type field with 5+ yrs experience so I'd have competition :/
St. Petersburg is a larger city so my thinking is the jobs are more plentiful, is that safe to say?

BUT, I am willing to weigh it out and wait for the perfect opportunity, if the quality of life is better in Sarasota vs. St. Pete. I am looking for low crime, good restaurants, culture, low traffic congestion...

Where do you live GypsyChic?

Thanks!
I currently live in Lakeland (35 mi. east of Tampa) and my hubby commutes to downtown Tampa for work, I work at home.

It would be extremely unwise to move here hoping to have a job in a week. As you know, the economy is bad all over and many people have lost their jobs. A few years ago you would have easily gotten a really good government job, but there is NOTHING available there now.

If you must have a beach town, go to St. Pete, and maybe live where you would be able to commute to downtown Tampa or the Westshore business district. It would really be best if you could land a job over here first. It is true that employers may not consider you seriously without being here first. Another avenue you may try is the temporary employment agencies, but even there I would check with them first to see what is available.

I am not trying to be negative, just don't want to see you make a costly mistake. Hopefully you will get lucky and you may, just try to be realistic in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomocal View Post
YEAH...i know this is under the Tampa forum but please help or tell me where to post thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm thinking of moving to the Sarasota/Bradenton area, but so far the job market doesn't look to great out there. Is it because they see my applicataions/resume is from SoCal and they only hire those in the area? How wise would it be to just go with some saved cash and try to apply at some job agencies and hope that I get a job within a week or so!?!?!

Is the job outlook better in St. Petersburg??? What are the pros and cons of both areas- St. Petersburg vs. Sarasota/Bradenton??

THANKS in advance y'all (i'm trying to get my southern accent ready- how is it? !
Nomocal,
May I ask how your job hunting is going?
My husband and I want to move to the Tampa area and we have been submitting resumes since April 14th. So far only one interview. He's in the Maintenance for Plant Operations field. About a month ago we got a cell phone with a tampa # and rented a small house on a month to month basis for a tampa address. That has helped some with phone calls.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 40,885 times
Thanks for the pointers!.....

Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 40,885 times
Ok thanks gypsychic--sounds like Tampa has most of the jobs!

Tagylyn- I have only recently started applying, since the beginning of June '08, and I haven't had any bites. But, that does sound like a good idea to have a cell# and address in the area! I hope your opportunities will open up. I'll kepe you updated on mine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay