Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM

79 posts, read 277,785 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]My husband and I are planning to move to Tampa as soon as my house sells in Raleigh, NC. We're trying to decide what area will be best for commuting for me. My lucky husband works from home, so work isn't a big deal for him. But for me the drive will be something to consider.

What areas seem to have the worst traffic in the Tampa Bay area? I've heard people say that traffic is horrible in New Tampa, but that's where we've looked at homes mostly. I would think quick access to major highways would be ideal. We were looking at homes in New Tampa during Memorial Day week and then again for a long weekend the 2nd weekend in June. To me the traffic didn't seem like a big deal. However, we started looking at homes each day around 10 or 11am, so maybe it wasn't too bad due to rush hour being over. But we were still out after 5pm each day, and at that time the traffic still didn't seem bad to me.

Here in Raleigh I have heard people say the traffic is bad and I don't get that either. I think it's a breeze. I lived in Atlanta for several years and that was what I consider bad traffic. Maybe we just got lucky with traffic while in Tampa, but I'd like to know what areas everyone considers the worst and why. Would driving from Odessa to New Tampa be worse than the reverse? What about Wesley Chapel to and from other areas?

Take care, Joy
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM

127 posts, read 427,379 times
Where will you be commuting to (where's your job located)? That will have a huge impact on the level of congestion you will be facing and will help to answer your question.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 PM

126 posts, read 538,679 times
School is out in the summer, so traffic is lighter now. When school starts up again, you'll see more traffic, and you'll have slowdowns every time you get close to a school zone.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Where will you be commuting to (where's your job located)? That will have a huge impact on the level of congestion you will be facing and will help to answer your question.

I wish that I knew that answer too.

I don't have a job in Tampa and probably won't until after we move. So, I'm trying to pick an area that has the best liklihood of a decent commute.

For instance, if someone asked this same question in Raleigh, I'd tell them to try to get a place close to Research Triangle Park...where most of the jobs are concentrated. I'd tell them to avoid places like Sanford unless they wanted to spend an hour commuting. I could tell them what cities/towns would have the best commutes. Maybe it's not that simple in the Tampa area? I have a biotech background. From what I can gather there are 3 areas of the Tampa Bay area that might have biotech jobs, but I have no clue what areas would be the best.

I would just like to avoid the worst areas of traffic flow if possible. I have been told that New Tampa has horrible traffic, but I'm wondering if it's really that bad.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
If you work Downtown or near RayJ/Westshore and work 8-5 you can expect close to an hour commute if you live out around Wesley Chapel or New Tampa. If you live around Westchase expect 30 mol min drive.

So much depends on the hours you work. During school traffic is heavier, especially in the AM.

That is why we always ask 'what is an acceptable commute?' and where is your job location

Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
As people have posted, school is out right now and traffic lighter. But from New Tampa you will be fighting the USF TRAFFIC in the fall, and traffic there is bad. A lot of long lights that take forever with the string of cars. I think the northside is the absolute worst for commuting in Tampa, and would avoid it if I were you unless you intend on working in the area.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM

20 posts, read 73,966 times
do you guys think my commute from around the intersection of dale mabry and bearss to USF will be tough come fall? it only took me 10-12 minutes on a wednesday trial run.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstam4 View Post
do you guys think my commute from around the intersection of dale mabry and bearss to USF will be tough come fall? it only took me 10-12 minutes on a wednesday trial run.
Depending on the time of day, I would figure at least 30 mins if not a little longer

Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 31,548 times
i once lived outside of atlanta and you will not find traffic like that here on the worst day with accidents blocking all bridges... things do move slowly from 7-8am and 4-6pm on I275 but, it moves. if you are exposed to the beltway parking lot circling atl, you are gonna laugh at this. even miami wasn't that bad. rarely will you ever be at a dead standstill.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrainer View Post
i once lived outside of atlanta and you will not find traffic like that here on the worst day with accidents blocking all bridges... things do move slowly from 7-8am and 4-6pm on I275 but, it moves. if you are exposed to the beltway parking lot circling atl, you are gonna laugh at this. even miami wasn't that bad. rarely will you ever be at a dead standstill.
Ah, now that's what I like hearing :-). In Atlanta it would take me almost an hour to get home in rush hour when during the middle of the day it only took about 15 minutes. I took GA 400 home each day. Now that was a parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay