Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 201,206 times

Advertisements

Hi I am 32 yrs old with a fiance and a little boy, currently we live in the Panhandle which is very claustrophobic for me. I am from NJ but have lived here in the Panhandle off and on 6 yrs my fiance is from here. We just spent 2 yrs in NJ and came back to our house in August and I can't take it, I just feel there is nothing to do here and not only that it gets cold in the winter, if I am going to live in FL I want to live in FLORIDA where it's warm, theres stuff to do,a decent job market, local colleges, and most of all feel like I'm in Florida. Right now I feel like I left all the opportunity of NJ/NY area to live in a shoebox where the "Good Ol' Boy" way of doing things still exists. Is Tampa/St Pete my refuge? Any advice on the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Not a refuge. Doubt if you'll be less claustrophobic and the good-old boy network is alive and well here. Wouldn't recommend coming here - there's a lot of complainers in our areas who have transplanted here from elsewhere - not sure if we need another one. Just want to be blunt about it. It's sweltering hot, our baseball stadium sucks, our football team doesn't sell out and we have blackouts all the time. Our subdivisions are all crackerbox, cookie-cutters, we have no cultural activities, people are unfriendly, unsociable, especially the Davis Island women, we have love-bugs that screw up your windshield, and our idea of a good time is going to the Gun Show or RV Show at the Florida State Fairgrounds. Oh yeah, unemployment is a least 12%.

But if you can get passed all of that - you might like it here.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks BucFan for your honesty. Why are you still there, sounds like you feel like I do about Destin? Polls have Tampa/St.Pete as No.1 place to raise kids.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
I'm guessing when you say you want to "feel like I'm in Florida" you mean beaches, palm trees and post card type scenes.
It's pretty hot in the Tampa Bay area most of the year, plenty of stuff to do, lots of shopping, not so much the "Good Ol' Boy" way of doing things (but plenty of the Dumb @@@ way of doing things), some great local colleges, the job market is pretty frightening right now, but I'm sure it's better than Destin, lots of NY/NJ transplants around.
I've lived all over the state and found Tampa Bay to be a good fit for most.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM

No! All we have here is Beaches, Palm Trees, and Post Card scenes! I want city next to all the beachy stuff. To be able to go surfing or to the beach and then head to a city for shopping or lunch. Where I am at it's a resort and you go inland to the woods.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Tampa/St. Pete should fit your needs. Jobs are scarce, though.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Forget it man, really...I am in the same boat, Tampa is no different.....Miami Beach is "warmer" but FL is FL there is only so much to do here until boredom takes over!

I am bored out of my mind here, having nowhere to go! There is no "city" next to the beaches!?....I wish!

But there is hope...maybe in the future people with realize that "middle of nowhere" and "isolation central" is really not how this world EVOLVED!
No McMansions for Millennials - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2322k View Post
Thanks BucFan for your honesty. Why are you still there, sounds like you feel like I do about Destin? Polls have Tampa/St.Pete as No.1 place to raise kids.
Why? I enjoy the golf, the beaches, the professional sports (even the sucky stadium), the no state income tax, the lower cost of living and cost of housing compared to northern states, the weather, especially in the winter months the outstanding airport that I use all the time to travel to cities around the USA.

But that's just me.

I always get a kick out of people looking for Utopia.

There is none.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,190 times
Default Tampa

Im looking to move to the Tampa area.
Want to know good area's and affordable rent? What area's to stay away from? I have teanager's. I would like to live out of the city. I will be working at the Tampa VA.
Any good idea's. Thanks for your time

Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,030 times
I have lived in Crestview for awhile....and moved here in Tampa Area.....still miss the awesomeness of beaches in Destin....if you want to be close to the beach again try looking up in St. Pete great area other wise maybe Valrico or fishhawk area or northern Tampa. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay