U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:52 PM

217 posts, read 882,590 times

Advertisements

To Readers:

I am a 25 year old looking to move. I am in the real estate profession and from Long Island. What is living in Tampa like, South Florida in general- is there opportunity there? What is the social life like? Would Fort Lauderdale or the East coast of FL be better for a person in the 20s any info would help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 AM

27 posts, read 203,336 times
The real estate market is really being hurt by high taxes and insurance rates now. The state is working on the insurance problem now.

If I was single I'd probably be happier with the bigger city attractions of Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:27 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,854,571 times
Read my post "Why Tampa" Parts I and II. I moved from Long Island also, did college in Tampa, then moved to Fort Lauderdale for a few years, but came back to Tampa. Ft Lauderdale was a blast, many more New Yorkers on the east coast, but could not see my self settling down over there...Tampa has a great nightlife, singles scene, recreational activities, sporting events, not as spread out, and central in Florida, and I feel a little more laid back(not as pretentious)..just my opinion though...IN Tampa you will want to be around downtown areas(Hyde Park, SOHO, Channelside, Harbour Island, Davis Islands, Ybor City). Fort Lausderdale, stay East of I-95, downtown, Las Olas Blvd area.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:02 PM

I like your reviews about Tampa. There great. tampaguy sums it up nicely!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 22,971 times
The Spring Hill area is great, its close to Tampa and Orlando.
http://www.agentseditor.com/kmiworld/index.asp (broken link)

Old 01-20-2007, 07:30 AM

74 posts, read 353,278 times
Id agree with Tampa guy, fundamentally there is not much wrong with the place; plenty to see and do, good bars, singles scene etc. It's a nice size city, you can familiarize yourself with it quickly. It's trying very hard to be the next San Diego, with various high rises going up everywhere, a Riverwalk being built and so on. I hope the plan comes off - it's not quite there yet, but I can foresee it happening in several years if the city planners really pay attention, and the points below can be addressed.....

IMHO The biggest downside to Tampa is the job market. Wages are fairly poor, and have not kept pace with property prices. There are plenty of jobs...but there are not plenty of well paid jobs. Once people find one, they tend to hang onto them for grim death, making lateral moves tricky and stagnating the employment market. Additionally, given the recent major property boom and subsequent rising prices, cost of insurance and the rest, the businesses that were attracted by the cheap labor market are no longer coming, or are relocating elsewhere.

I've travelled all over, relocated many times, and I've yet to find a place that business seems to obsessed with getting the person who will take the lowest wage to do the job, over performance of the individual. Scrimping on benefits also seems to be a trend, as the "Right to work (Fire)" law. The reason for this is that there is so much competition for the more professional positions, and there is always someone who will work for less. Although I really like Tampa, this is the main reason why I'm potentially looking at leaving and going to Maryland.

If you are in the real estate business, the market is completely saturated with realtors right now; when the boom was going strong, everyone wanted to retrade to become a realtor. Now they are all melting away, given the weakness of the market.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:05 AM

TO Kwanger:

You really hit in on the head- I agree. At my age and level of career in real estate, Tampa may not be as ideal compared to the job markets of a high wage area like DC, MD , NYC etc. This may be the one thing that may hold me back from moving to Tampa. I have been to Tampa, before it is very nice and has a lot to offer. But I see where you are coming from about the right to work law. Yeah, companies do that- try to find places where they can operate at the lowest cost. I don't blame them. But I mean you get what you pay for. So If you offer a higher wage you'll attract a better worker- hopefully.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:12 AM

523 posts, read 2,690,820 times
I would think as long as you get on with good real estate company you would be happy. I came here at 18 with a girlfriend and never went back. Tampa Bay Area covers lots of cities, big community. Scattered just rent for awhile to find where you like to live. Houses are still selling here just slows down now. But prices are better than other parts of country

Old 01-20-2007, 10:53 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,854,571 times
I have to agree with you...the houses are selling, it just takes 6-9 mos, instead of 1-3 months we were used to. With the amt of people still moving into this area daily, and the amount of construction, developments, etc. under devlopment, i dont think real estate is a total loss, just not as lucrative and fast $$$. Now if they can get the insurance thing under control, and possibly increase wages to coincide with the cost of housing, we'd be sitting pretty here in Tampa Bay.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:25 AM

74 posts, read 353,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
TO Kwanger:

Yeah, companies do that- try to find places where they can operate at the lowest cost. I don't blame them. But I mean you get what you pay for. So If you offer a higher wage you'll attract a better worker- hopefully.
I hear ya; when I lived in New York and San Diego, people subscribed to that theory. They are more interested in recruiting skills and will pay more accordingly. Down here in Tampa, it seems lost on them and is more a case of "Who can I get to do an acceptable job for less". I put it down to the market being oversubscribed. I've been here five years, changed jobs after two. But I started looking after 6 months at the first one - it took me 18 months of constantly applying to find another acceptable one! Got several offers in the meantime, but all were blatant lowballs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay