U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 AM

267 posts, read 1,095,345 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all of the valuable info. I was gung-ho on fishhawk at first. Then I started hearing all of the traffic/congestion info and I can't be so selfish to ask my hubby to sit in an hour+ traffic just because I want to live there. Or can I? LOL.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,749 times
Fish Hawk is a great area and the real reason you see the value there is schools. Bevis elementary is the top school in the county for overall test scores and is ranked near the top in the state. The middle and high school are highly regarded as well. The neighborhood has a lot of extras as well including 3 pools, 2 clubhouses, tennis, skateboard park and it has a town center in the middle of the neighborhood that is active with fun events every weekend. One of the pools is like a Disney type water park. It is pretty exciting for kids. If you are moving here you should put it on the list to look at. There is a plan to 4 lane the road coming in through Riverview and alot of folks go out Lithia Pinecrest or Bell Shoals depending on where you are going and what time of day. I don't live there but if I were moving here I would certainly check it out. Florida is a wonderful place to live.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,076 posts, read 5,699,977 times
All good points, but if you plan to travel outside of FishHawk you better be prepared. Pulte Homes just got approval to build another 3,000 (yes, that's three THOUSAND) homes on the north side of FishHawk Blvd., so the traffic situation is only going to get worse.

What compounds the problem is that the developer agreed to widen both Lithia Pinecrest and Bell Shoals, but NOT Boyette Road, the main artery to US 301 and I-75. What this means is that you will only be able to get to those major roads via the smaller arterial roads, which are already wayyy over their capacity due to the current situation in FishHawk and with Boyette Road. I live in the Bloomingdale area and commute to USF, and the traffic on Bloomingdale Ave. has grown exponentially since FishHawk opened, mainly because people are detouring this way to avoid the traffic with Boyette Road. It takes me as long to go the roughly 6-7 miles on a 4 lane thoroughfare to I-75 as it does to go from I-75 to USF, which is about 13-15 miles. That drive to I-75 was only 8-10 minutes 5 years ago. Not any more.

As for Bevis, it won't be your school unless you buy an existing home. There are already plans for another elementary and middle school in the immediate area due to the explosive growth. Redistricting is already being planned due to the expansion. And Bevis isn't the only "A" school in the area - there are plenty of others, such as Cimino, Alafia, etc. You can check the FLDOE for details if you like.

I know two families that built in FishHawk when it opened and was affordable - they're both moving out because of the congestion.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 01-21-2007 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: added school info

Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 47,717 times
Overall its the best location to raise a family. Old family life styles with a great all inclusive community. My friends live there and my little 4 yr old son loves the water parks..

Daniel Holliday
www.Gratehomeloans.com (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>