Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM

13 posts, read 71,356 times

Advertisements

My very old battery-powered transponder worked without error on the 2007 Mercedes S550 I bought a year ago until it died, so I replaced it with a Mini sticker which I registered a week ago.

I just used it for the first time. I went through a Sunpass lane with an attendant and the Mini sticker didn't work. Sunpass support isn't open today (Sat), so a quick search led me to a old post on this thread about a big shortcoming of the Mini -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaida C View Post
.....with the Mini, you CANNOT go thru the Sunpass/Cash lanes. You can only go thru the NON-STOP Sunpass lane (the one where theres no attendant, no toll basket) If you try going thru a Sunpass/Cash lane the poll will not rise and the attendant will charge you the toll amount......
Does the Mini not work in these lanes? Or -is my Mercedes windshield blocking the sticker even though the old transponder worked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1LL View Post
My very old battery-powered transponder worked without error on the 2007 Mercedes S550 I bought a year ago until it died, so I replaced it with a Mini sticker which I registered a week ago.

I just used it for the first time. I went through a Sunpass lane with an attendant and the Mini sticker didn't work. Sunpass support isn't open today (Sat), so a quick search led me to a old post on this thread about a big shortcoming of the Mini -

Does the Mini not work in these lanes? Or -is my Mercedes windshield blocking the sticker even though the old transponder worked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have gone through both lanes and it's worked. Some exits only have one lane which is cash/sunpass.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I have gone through both lanes and it's worked. Some exits only have one lane which is cash/sunpass.
Thanks for confirming what I thought - it should work. The Sunpass site doesn't say anywhere that it won't work, contrary to Shaida's post, even though she works for Sunpass.

For sure, the lane had Sunpass because the gate opened for the car before me.

When my new Mini didn't work, I pointed to it and the attendant said "it doesn't work". Being a retired engineer, I attempted to read him the sticker number or something.

His only reply to every question was "it doesn't work" louder with his hand extended further for the cash.

I initially thought his attitude was because it was a job-killing device. However, after seeing Shaida's post, I thought maybe he was trying to tell me that ALL Mini stickers don't work in this lane.

After looking at the Sunpass site again, I now suspect my Mercedes windshield blocks the Mini sticker but didn't block the old battery-powered stronger signal.

I may end up very sorry that I tossed my old transponder and it wouldn't be the first time I've had the "old" thing work better that the new "improved" version.

Curious if any folks on this thread have experienced any similar windshield problem?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,519 times
I've had 3 types and none worked very well on my car. I go thru the open lanes and if it gives me a violation I get notified. As long as you have a registered device they always take care of the charges. The plastic transponder thingie worked the worst for me.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innertuber View Post
I've had 3 types and none worked very well on my car. I go thru the open lanes and if it gives me a violation I get notified. As long as you have a registered device they always take care of the charges. The plastic transponder thingie worked the worst for me.
What year, make & model of car do you have?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM

2004 Scion XB and 2008 F250. Both gone now. The scion was a pain and I talked to the toll folks. They have a list of vehicles that are type AB normal. . While mine wasn't on it it constantly wouldn't work. Even replaced it at one point before they had the stick to window types.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
2004 Scion XB and 2008 F250. Both gone now. The scion was a pain and I talked to the toll folks. They have a list of vehicles that are type AB normal. . While mine wasn't on it it constantly wouldn't work. Even replaced it at one point before they had the stick to window types.
Thanks for the info. Did you ever have an old battery-powered transponder in either vehicle? I'm starting to feel stupid about throwing out my old battery-powered transponder that worked flawlessly. Also, I see Sunpass has an external transponder that works on a front license plate bracket. Any folks on this thread have one of those? Does it work?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
I've read of some difficulty with the Sun Pass transponders (poor low battery indicator, etc) which is supposed to be less of a problem with the mini? Anyone used the mini yet? Pros/cons?
thanks.
We have PikePass in Oklahoma and it is TONS more convenient than digging for change. I don't know what I ever did before I had it.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Still have a handful of the battery ones. They didn't work real well for me. We use the mini now and have tossed all but one of the old ones (the tan ones about the size of an ipod with replaceable batteries). We kept one for visitors.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Still have a handful of the battery ones. They didn't work real well for me. We use the mini now and have tossed all but one of the old ones (the tan ones about the size of an ipod with replaceable batteries). We kept one for visitors.
The tan one was what I had, which always worked.

I just got off phone with Sunpass. My new Mini actually WORKED even though the damn gate didn't go up. I checked my account online and she was correct, I was billed via a TTOLL. She also said there was no trouble reported with that gate and if I had a cash receipt, I would get a refund.

Could this be a purely random fluke on the very first use of my new Mini? I'm suspicious it's not. My new theory - my windshield weakened the signal causing the transponder not to be detected until after I paid my cash to the attendant and proceeded closer to the gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay