Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 PM

78 posts, read 263,633 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,
We are a small family who are considering moving to Tampa,FL eventually. Of course, we will go visit it first very soon.
I have noticed how many people are leaving FL for TX or NC and wonder why, can you please enlighten me? I come from Los Angeles and probably can guess a little bit like home prices, cost of living but please tell me the whole story if you can please. Are most people leaving from South Florida or also from Tampa which seems more reasonably priced than Miami?
I am in the IT industry and have noticed there might be more jobs for me than Miami, also housing seems cheaper. How is crime, traffic, property taxes and any good schools? Also, how are the hurricanes, if any? Also, being closer to nice beaches, does it help when it's humid? Because in TX, it can be hell on Earth without the ocean breeze.
Thank you kindly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
Hello everybody,
We are a small family who are considering moving to Tampa,FL eventually. Of course, we will go visit it first very soon.
I have noticed how many people are leaving FL for TX or NC and wonder why, can you please enlighten me? I come from Los Angeles and probably can guess a little bit like home prices, cost of living but please tell me the whole story if you can please. Are most people leaving from South Florida or also from Tampa which seems more reasonably priced than Miami?
I am in the IT industry and have noticed there might be more jobs for me than Miami, also housing seems cheaper. How is crime, traffic, property taxes and any good schools? Also, how are the hurricanes, if any? Also, being closer to nice beaches, does it help when it's humid? Because in TX, it can be hell on Earth without the ocean breeze.
Thank you kindly

CAtransplant - I think the bulk of folks are leaving from the South Florida area, not Tampa on northward. South Florida on both coasts is just extremely expensive and very crowded and just has more problems in general. It's almost like "two" Floridas here with the Tampa Bay area being the divider. Tampa Bay area is very vibrant and eclectic with lots to offer, especially for someone from Cali. Read "tampaguy's" posts to see what I am talking about. Hubby and I do have a home in NC, but we still live here too, he has a GREAT job in Tampa, and we enjoy driving from our little home 30 mi. north of Tampa to eat at the many great restaurants (many on the water) and enjoy other activities.

I guess, unfortunately, most people who are moving just can't afford the Florida lifestyle due to taxes and insurance, but it seems our insurance problem is going to be somewhat solved this year.

As to hurricanes - anywhere in Florida is fair game, but traditionally I think the Atlantic side of the state (as well as south Florida in general) is more vulnerable. I highly recommend the Tampa Bay area - lots of affordable homes, and lots more job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: