U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 14,593 times

Advertisements

I really need some help. My husband is changing jobs and we will be moving to the New Port Richey, FL area. Frankly, I am not too excited about it from everything I have heard on these forums and the info. I saw on FL sex offender site. We presently live in a small, quaint PA town near all my family where there is virtually no crime - I was actually surprised to find out we had a total of 5 sex offenders in the area. I have two very small children and my number one priority is too keep them safe and try to live a relatively normal life, especially since my husband will have to travel with this new job from time to time. Can anyone suggest a place near New Port Richey that is safe and great to raise a family. I have done research on Hudson, Trinity, New Port Richey, Holiday, Wesley Chapel, Land O Lakes and Spring Hill. Frankly I am shocked to find out there is tons of crime all over the place. Isn't there anywhere around this area that is quaint, safe and family friendly? It's bad enough that we will have to worry about Hurricanes and Alligators (something you don't think about up north). Please help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 01:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,325,747 times
If you ask me, Tampa is not the best area... much of Tampa is a ghetto and unsafe. You have to move a ways out to get to a decent place to raise kids. Land O' Lakes is nice. It's a quiet little town but a close drive on the freeway to anything you need from Tampa. Plus they are opening a big town center with lots of shopping there in 2007.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM

97 posts, read 403,647 times
I would suggest coming down here and renting. We are doing that right now, eventually we will buy a home. It has given us a chance to look around and check out different areas. We are renting a condo west of Tampa off of Hillsborough Ave. It is a relatively safe area and there are plenty of developments to choose from. Also ziprealty.com is a good site for looking at property, they have satellite photos, which makes it nice.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,593 times
Thanks for the advice. Is Land O Lakes relatively safe every where, or are there pockets of good areas in that town? I know this may seem like a dumb question, but are there a lot of alligators there because of the lakes? How much do I need to worry about the alligators since I have two small children?

Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 AM

15,968 posts, read 33,770,772 times
I don't know where your husband will be working, but we moved up to Dade City in Pasco County - a very charming and quaint little town. There are building quite a few developments here, but it is still small, and right now there is plenty on the market due to the slowing of sales.

My husband works in downtown Tampa and commutes each day - it takes him an hour or a little more, door to door, depending on traffic. If I were you, I would avoid the gridlock of Holiday (not very charming!) and New Port Richey. Land-o-Lakes is nice, and so is Lutz. They are closer in, but probably not much quicker in commute than Dade City. By the way, Dade City, unlike the rest of Florida, has some beautiful hills!

ETA: Yes, there are alligators in the lakes, even here. I just wouldn't go in the lakes. But believe me, incidences are rare, I wouldn't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay