U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 PM

46 posts, read 178,737 times

Advertisements

Moved to Tennessee 4 months ago. Don't miss Tampa as a whole, but there are some things I found that meant a lot more to me than I ever thought.

1. Live music
There is NO music scene here at all! Just main stream pop country and gospel. There is bluegrass but you can only take so much of that. There has been one decent show here. If you want to go to any show of substance (Both larger acts and smaller indie ones.) You have to travel to Nashville, Knoxville, or Atlanta.

2. Publix
There is one here (Just one.) and it is about 30 minutes away. Your only other choices are BiLo, Food Lion or Walmart.

3. Whole Foods (Previously Wild Oats.)
There is an earthy crunchy store here, but it is SO EXPENSIVE. Whole Foods had better prices and their selection was better.

4. Jamba Juice
I am addicted to their smoothies. It is a freaking chain and Tennessee is one of the few states they are not in.

5. Vallartas
There is a very high Mexican population here, and I have yet to find acceptable Mexican food.

6. Pop & Son's Diner
Best biscuits & gravy! All that I have sampled here have been horrible. And it's the deep south! They should be stellar and they are not.

7. Acropolis Greek Restaurant in Ybor
(Notice a food theme? Yes I am a fat kid at heart.)

8. Alessi
Do I really need to explain?

9. The Todd
I know this seems weird. But it was kind of nice having the option to go into an adult video store when you were bored in the middle of the night that was not in a completely scary neighborhood. It was fun to laugh at the movie titles, and the nervous shoppers.

10. My Friends
Have not really found anyone here I could connect with. Mentality is a bit different.

11. King Corona in Ybor
Best cafe con leche in the city.

12. El Segundo Bakery
Ah...pancitos.

13. Not getting raped on the price of tattoos
All the shops here charge $100 minimum an hour. And for sub par work at that. I believe you get what you pay for as far as that goes, and you should never haggle over the price of a tattoo. But c'mon, you ain't Lyle Tuttle.

14. Borders Book Store
The closest one is Nashville.

15. Sound Exchange, Vinyl Fever, & Daddy Kool
No decent independent music stores AT ALL. People will argue and say Grumpy's or McKays. But they are horrendous by comparison.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 AM

15,840 posts, read 33,183,282 times
So why DID you move? It sounds like you miss Tampa to me. It's funny, but I think we never realize how much we miss certain things until they are not available.

Maybe if you give it a little more time you will find some things that will replace what you miss. If not, then come on back!

Good luck to you.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
So why DID you move? It sounds like you miss Tampa to me. It's funny, but I think we never realize how much we miss certain things until they are not available.

Maybe if you give it a little more time you will find some things that will replace what you miss. If not, then come on back!

Good luck to you.
Was tired of Florida. Lived there all my life and needed a change.
Tired of the public school system. My son has thrived educationally since we left.
Tired of Florida summers. It is nice to have 4 distinct seasons.
Money. The way things are going people like me could never afford to buy a house there.
Palmetto bugs, thet're enough of a reason to run away.
The general attitude of a lot of people was just disgusting. I don't know where all the people of substance went.
Couldn't take the Bucs or their fanatics anymore.

It will always be home, and will always be in my heart. We just outgrew each other.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:44 PM

36 posts, read 139,760 times
Mama's on Dale Mabry. Best garlic bread ever.
Alex's BBQ in Carrolwood properly done fried green tomatos. and greens with the pepper juice cooked in
(even though we have good bbq here)

Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM

61 posts, read 168,212 times
I may be moving to Knoxville in a few months if my g/f lands a job. Wonder what i will miss about Tampa....

Looking forward to 4 seasons, right off the bat. Don't go to the beach all that often...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 28,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Tired of the public school system. My son has thrived educationally since we left.
Did you do your research? Schools in Tennessee are considered lesser than Florida, in fact the same could be said for 21 other states. Either way, I hope the placebo effect is working. You sound like you should of moved to Austin instead of following the malcontent bandwagon into eastern Tennessee, you would of LOVED IT there seeing what you miss and don't miss.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Did you do your research? Schools in Tennessee are considered lesser than Florida, in fact the same could be said for 21 other states. Either way, I hope the placebo effect is working. You sound like you should of moved to Austin instead of following the malcontent bandwagon into eastern Tennessee, you would of LOVED IT there seeing what you miss and don't miss.
Almost a year of research before we made the move. He actually attends school in Murfreesboro. (Where his dad was transferred.) And the schools are 200% better than here in Hamilton county. He is in gifted programs and in Tampa with the enormous class sizes and the mistreatment of the teachers there a lot of the kids did not get what they needed to excel. His elementary experience was great, but once he made it into middle school it was different story entirely.
I actually adore Eastern TN and I can certainly deal with a lot of the things I miss. Plus I still have friends and family there who can ship stuff to me. (Just got a delivery of Cuban bread the other day!) I think I was just having a nostalgic moment.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzy_99 View Post
I may be moving to Knoxville in a few months if my g/f lands a job. Wonder what i will miss about Tampa....

Looking forward to 4 seasons, right off the bat. Don't go to the beach all that often...
Hopefully we will be Knoxville bound in the near future. Chattanooga sucks.
4 seasons is definitely a plus. I am really looking forward to seeing the color change during the Fall.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 AM

894 posts, read 4,067,902 times
Quote:
It will always be home, and will always be in my heart. We just outgrew each other.

Perfectly said!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM

473 posts, read 1,065,762 times
Quote:
Hopefully we will be Knoxville bound in the near future. Chattanooga sucks.
4 seasons is definitely a plus. I am really looking forward to seeing the color change during the Fall.

What? Chattanooga is an awesome little city. I guess you are simply looking for a larger city?
There are certainly 4 seasons in Chattanooga also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay