Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:32 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times

Advertisements

I believe that when the new USF Polytechnic branch here in Lakeland gets built, it will help to attract more of the types of businesses we need. Even with all the cutbacks to USF, this one is being funded.

About USF Polytechnic

Old 07-25-2008, 04:41 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
It is pretty much recent college grads they are talking about.
the study was based on young professionals from 25-35. none of this is news or alarming to the people that live here. the word is just getting out to the nation and publications are shining a light on tampas dismal economic climate and true lack of opportunity. it doesnt mean u cant make it here, its just extremely difficult. its been said a milion times for years and years that tampa bay has a very weak service based economy (not just now, always). Very few young people are willing to spend 100k on an eduaction then move to tampa to sit in a backwater call center while their peers make 65k in a happening, cutting edge, trendy locale.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:07 PM

69 posts, read 203,610 times
Default Lesson learned!!

Forbes has let this secret out a while ago and for some reason people are still coming. I have no regrets of living in florida but I would never come back to live.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM

12 posts, read 37,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Seajoy,

It is pretty much recent college grads they are talking about. Pay here can be low, but it depends on your business. If you're in healthcare or the service industry I can almost guarantee you'll find a job. Also, while the pay isn't great it's not bad for Admin./Legal/Sales Assistants here either. It's mostly if you're a business or engineering person looking to climb the ladder.

Thank you. This is the first positive comment I have heard about Tampa. People make it seem there is no hope for the younger crowd. My best friend is 26 and moving to Tampa next month by herself. She has worked as a Medical office assistant for the past 6 years. I would think she can get into a hospital down there!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
^^
Of course she can - don't worry. But Medical office assistants are not the young professionals that is the subject of this study and report.

There's obviously no problem working in health care in Tampa.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 PM

119 posts, read 524,785 times
Default Crazy!

WHo would want to live in Detroit or Milwaukee over Tampa? What are you nuts? There's nothing wrong with this place. You could offer me three times my current income to live in Minneapolis and I woulnd't take it. Don't you people see that people travel from all over the world to vacation here? Just go to St. Pete Beach or Clearwater and see all the Russians, English, Polish, other Eastern Europeans flocking here. You live in a place like Detroit, Milwaukee, no one comes to visit because it sucks there. You're probably all stir crazy because it is the "wet season" which is still way better than the summer in the miserable city I came from. What kind of jobs are people looking for anyway? Yes they're far and few between for interesting jobs in EVERY city except New York, San Francisco, Boston.. But you know what:? THose cities are so expensive and such a hassle you can't accrue any savings and you have to share an apartment with five other people to make ends meet. Get with the pgoram, Tampa is a great place to be. It is beautiful. It's cheap as hell! There are things to do. The weather is beautiful!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:43 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,255 times
One of the major setbacks for the Tampa Bay region is the lack of public transportation. Until TBARTA gets that sorted out, it (Tampa) will always rank low.

Florida is unique, and it's not going to be for everyone. But I won't leave unless I snap one day and head for the PacNW...

Old 07-26-2008, 07:20 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
WHo would want to live in Detroit or Milwaukee over Tampa? What are you nuts? There's nothing wrong with this place. You could offer me three times my current income to live in Minneapolis and I woulnd't take it. Don't you people see that people travel from all over the world to vacation here? Just go to St. Pete Beach or Clearwater and see all the Russians, English, Polish, other Eastern Europeans flocking here. You live in a place like Detroit, Milwaukee, no one comes to visit because it sucks there. You're probably all stir crazy because it is the "wet season" which is still way better than the summer in the miserable city I came from. What kind of jobs are people looking for anyway? Yes they're far and few between for interesting jobs in EVERY city except New York, San Francisco, Boston.. But you know what:? THose cities are so expensive and such a hassle you can't accrue any savings and you have to share an apartment with five other people to make ends meet. Get with the pgoram, Tampa is a great place to be. It is beautiful. It's cheap as hell! There are things to do. The weather is beautiful!
Having alot of tourists does not make a place great to live. Many people from all over the world travel to places like Jamaica and Cuba, and althouth they are great places to visit most would never want to live there. Most people in this country want to provide the best life possible for their families and the Florida economy pays poor salaries and offers limited possiblities in comparison to other states. You state that you are willing to sacrifice 3 times your income to live in Florida, and although that is your choice, it is not a wise choice for many. And you say that some of the better paying locals have a high cost of living, and although that may be true, most pay more than enough to live a comfortable life and save. But there are also many cities with a lower cost of living or the same cost of living as Florida and still pay better, examples would be Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. I understand that you may enjoy living in Florida but one must realize that its economy is severly flawed, an economy that sustains itself on tourism and real estate alone and depending on the money that people bring from other states is bound to have a crash. That crash is now being felt and if the Florida government does not act fast we may never be able to recover.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
You're doing what a lot of Floridians do - assuming that warm weather equates to high quality of life. Like the above poster said, people come to visit, not to stay.

A lot of people love living in Milwaukee - it has a vibrant downtown, funky neighborhoods, and all the beaches and pristine water stretching over the horizon one would need from Lake Michigan.

A lot of people love living in Detroit - perhaps the city itself is a little rough, but the metro area has some of the best schools in the country, great careers with wonderful benefits, beautiful inland lakes, forests, interesting towns, wealthy suburbs, and a pretty vibrant urban nightlife. I found it difficult to tell any difference between Tampa and Detroit driving around both.

A lot of people especially love living in Minneapolis, one of the most intellectual and cultured cities in the country.

Believe it or not, a lot of people love winter and the four seasons.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Talk to people that are graduating from USF with Bachelors, you will find MANY stay in the Bay area and are placed into Medical, Tech/Research, Finance, Accounting and other Business jobs with starting salaries(45-65k)...at least the ones that I know personally.
The article makes some good points, but it only questioned students that graduated from a few very select schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay