Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 AM

15 posts, read 48,688 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and I are in our early 50's and he is planning to transfer from CT to Tampa. We are looking in the clearwater area because we have vacationed in the St Pete area for 10 years(parents had lived there). We own a home in CT and are planning to sell it to relocate. It is impossible for middle class people to live here anymore. Heating oil and gas prices combined make it so hard to do anything but work to maintain what we own. We are looking to downsize and we both will continue to work but would like to enjoy life after work. Here in CT with the winters it is nothing but cold and dark. We will leaving everyone here (family) 4 children (young adults) and elderly parents-but my husband feels it will be a better opportunity with his company and a better life. We will rent for about a year until we know which area we would settle in. I have been reading this forum to get as much info as possible and would appreciate any info as to which areas would be best for us. We would like to be close to beaches as we do bike, and are at least a little familiar with the clearwater, tampa and st pete areas. I am a nurse so I don't think I would have trouble finding a job. Husband's job will be in Tampa. Thanks for any info or advice on moving south! Susannorth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 02:32 PM

37 posts, read 220,021 times
If at all possible - do not sell the house. Of course the down housing market may help you with that. If you love it here, you can sell. If you hate it, there's nothing like being able to "easily" go back home.

Watch out for the economy here. Most articles/data point to how much worse it is here than the national average.

Also keep in mind that living here, and relying on his current salary, puts you at the mercy of your husbands company. Tampa wages are low compared to the North East and with the country being in recession, he will probably see an aprox 30% reduction in his salary if he tries to find a local position. Of course that depends on what he does and what his skill set is.

On that note...have you researched nursing salaries here? Last time I heard it was "OK", but I also had a doctor neighbor just move his family "back home" after being here a year...not sure of all the details but I think it was basically a dislike of Tampa compared to their home city.

Just be careful about pulling the plug on your current life. The grass is not necessarily greener.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM

thanks for your reply, still moving and still very unsure about it. Any positives regarding living in the area? Husband really wants to go!! Hates the winters here.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,046 times
Susan,

I am also moving to that area but I'm not asking questions on how it is only what are the better schools....this is why...

I was told by a friend that only negative feeling people post because the people who like it there are off living their lives, enjoying their surroundings and being positive! This goes for most places...

Just go! If you get there and decide it's dreadful it's not the end of the world! Life's too short :P

Old 08-05-2008, 03:13 PM

btrflyflutter, I agree with you, we have to try it. I'm not unhappy here in ct, I guess that's why I don't feel so sure about the move- anyway as sure as my husband is- I just hate winter but now it is summer and it is hard to remember the ice and snow! Plus all my sons are here and don't plan on leaving CT, so it's tough but I do love the Clearwater St Pete area alot. Thanks for input! SNorth

Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
There are plenty of folks who will tell you they love the Tampa Bay area. There is good and bad no matter where you live. I didn't live in St. Pete but I know several ppl who live there.

Are you considering St. Pete or Clearwater? You might want to rent first to get a feel for the area. St. Pete might be a good fit for you.

There are lots of things to do all around the area. Festivals, theater and art shows and of course baseball, football or hockey.

What can we tell you?

Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM

69 posts, read 203,551 times
Default Adventure

I was in tampa for years (from NY, moved for the weather) and I enjoyed florida overall but i guess like anywhere else it got boring after awhile. I beleive the negative sentiments are everywhere these days but the ultimate choice is yours. The pay is not that great but i dont think you would have a problem finding a nursing job. I agree with the previous post I wouldnt sell my house just yet. If at all possible hold off on any long term committments til later, see if you want to stay first. Sounds like you have lots of family who will miss you and you them but keep in mind you can always go back home. I met many people from ct here some stayed some went back home. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Moving to Tampa area

Thanks Flo for the input, funny one of our closest friends we will miss is a Flo. We will know for sure if we are going on Monday. Thats the deadline for decision. Just keep thinking weather is starting to change here already and do we want to go through another winter, they seem to get longer the older we get. Can't go without selling the house so I guess if we really had to come back it'd be to an apartment or condo for awhile. I'm excited about florida, it's just the ties here that bind!!! THANKS!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,769 times
Dear Susan
I am realtor in TampaBay, used to live in CT (1988-1989) my husband worked for SALOMON brothers(oil trading) ...

Here in Fl is terribly hot from June to Sept we complain about being house bound like you complain about darkness... Impossible to walk anywhere..that bothers us, europeans who like walking... But other times weather is great. you need not use A/C or heating from Oct-April so that saves a bit on bills. Property taxes are there probably lower than CT, and home prices are deffinitly historicaly low.

Welcome to the City Of Oldsmar! (http://www.ci.oldsmar.fl.us/ - broken link) as ideal one to live in
see how it is situated on the map. it is flat for bikes and rollerblading by the sea, yet quiet and near the tampa bay waters, near all major shops and movies but tucked away wonderfuly...I take my child horse back riding there and during the time i rollerblade( i am over 50).

Last edited by Keeper; 08-10-2008 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: realtor soliciting is not allowed

Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 AM

37 posts, read 220,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefield View Post
Susan,

I am also moving to that area but I'm not asking questions on how it is only what are the better schools....this is why...

I was told by a friend that only negative feeling people post because the people who like it there are off living their lives, enjoying their surroundings and being positive! This goes for most places...

Just go! If you get there and decide it's dreadful it's not the end of the world! Life's too short :P
Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. If I were buying a car, I'd search the Internet and research people's opinions to find the best value for my requirements. If I were ordering a new house built, I'd search the Internet and ask about the builder.

This forum has MANY opinions and some are hugely pro a certain area and some are hugely against...and some are balanced.

Florida - and MANY other areas - are FILLED with people that "just did it" and are very sorry that they didn't know what they were getting into. The same can be said for people jumping into Manhattan without realizing the things they take for granted do not work that way there (schools, and the near impossible hunt for an apartment, being a HUGE culture shock). Or people that ran to Tennessee from Florida only to discover that Tennessee living doesn't work for them and they'd like to come back here.

There's NEVER anything wrong with asking people and researching newspaper articles, and government reports. If you're scared to hear things counter your gut opinion, or can't take in facts/opinions to make your knowledge better, then you're going to make a lot of bad decisions "in a bubble".

Keep the house and rent is the smart thing here. It's a win-win situation since housing will continue to decline for at least the next year (and if it doesn't, the original house will climb in value offsetting any increase in this area since it's one of the the hardest hit) and they have to rent here anyway to determine the BEST area for THEM personally. If getting a good salary job is so easy here, then the original poster should have no problem paying the low rents here and carrying the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay