U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,247,198 times

Advertisements

Moved from NE Ohio to North Carolina, then to South Carolina.
Hate NC and like SC, however I may have to leave.

Just a question though.....Why have so many people left Florida and why did so many move to the Charlotte NC metro area?

Charlotte is on the NC/SC line, so many moved to SC instead of actually NC.

I know SC has cheap real estate taxes, cheapest gasoline in the USA, decent weather etc, but why come to SC (especially my part) where there is nothing to do if you are over the age of 40, unless you dedicate your life to a church. So why did so many Floridians move here?

The older couple that bought a condo across the street from me, said they could no longer afford Florida.

I myself want to move to Florida but am worried at the cost of living.

And yes, I want to buy a mobile home in a 55 and older park. I'm sick to death of the neighbors kids trampling my landscaping ( my condo's let you landscape to your hearts content a rare thing) riding bikes through the parking areas, out till 10 and 11 at night. However I will still need to work at least part time. So can I do this? There are no affordable over 55 places in my area of SC or NC...unless you can afford 200 thousand plus. I can't, I want to pay cash for what I buy.

I also think I would prefer Florida more, as there to me, is a more Northern culture, then what one finds in SC / NC (a Southern culture). Not saying one is better than the other....but I prefer a Northern culture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 AM

832 posts, read 2,639,017 times
People are bailing out of Florida mainly due to the lack of jobs here, especially in the house/construction industry. The economy is bad everywhere, but it seems that Florida took a good hit this time.
I am from SoCal originally, and have lived here for 16 years. I don't know what is exactly meant by "northern culture". To be honest, Florida has no culture at all. It's a hodge-podge of various cultures, not excelling in a particular one, in my honest opinion. In California we had outstanding Mexican restaurants, out here they are non-existent. We also had a lot of Japanese (AUTHENTIC) cuisine out there, out here, I found only one in a 50 mile radius of my home. Up north, you have excellent delis and beautiful waterfalls/scenery. Here, you have lousy sandwich shops and flat landscape.
Advantages of FLorida? Beautiful weather, you get used to the humidity, beautiful beaches and warm water. Some quiet areas still, and big city living if that's your thing. Most of the northerners who come down here come for those things, and that's about it. That's why we have so many seasonal residents here; many of them are not fond of staying here year round due to the lack of things out here.
We have a museum of science nearby, and it stinks. It's definitely not anywhere close to what I had in California. I sometimes whish I had stayed out there and toughed it out, and my kids could have a lot more entertaining things to do. It's a shame, you want your kids to experience the same things you did growing up, and they are stuck with dealing with sub-par activities. Sorry...off on a tangent there.
Sooo...unless you can better define what you mean by "northern culture", I'd have to say unless you love the beach and warm weather, you may be barking up the wrong tree in Florida.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:36 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,562,877 times
theres tons of people here from the Northeast and midwest but its not like living there. Its a complete hodge podge of humanity and becoming more and more hispanic/latin dominated as many move from south florida to central florida. TONS of people are fleeing florida for a myriad of reasons, generally florida seems to be disentegrating into the land of the lost....

Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
People are bailing out of Florida mainly due to the lack of jobs here, especially in the house/construction industry. The economy is bad everywhere, but it seems that Florida took a good hit this time.
I am from SoCal originally, and have lived here for 16 years. I don't know what is exactly meant by "northern culture". To be honest, Florida has no culture at all. It's a hodge-podge of various cultures, not excelling in a particular one, in my honest opinion. In California we had outstanding Mexican restaurants, out here they are non-existent. We also had a lot of Japanese (AUTHENTIC) cuisine out there, out here, I found only one in a 50 mile radius of my home. Up north, you have excellent delis and beautiful waterfalls/scenery. Here, you have lousy sandwich shops and flat landscape.
Advantages of FLorida? Beautiful weather, you get used to the humidity, beautiful beaches and warm water. Some quiet areas still, and big city living if that's your thing. Most of the northerners who come down here come for those things, and that's about it. That's why we have so many seasonal residents here; many of them are not fond of staying here year round due to the lack of things out here.
We have a museum of science nearby, and it stinks. It's definitely not anywhere close to what I had in California. I sometimes whish I had stayed out there and toughed it out, and my kids could have a lot more entertaining things to do. It's a shame, you want your kids to experience the same things you did growing up, and they are stuck with dealing with sub-par activities. Sorry...off on a tangent there.
Sooo...unless you can better define what you mean by "northern culture", I'd have to say unless you love the beach and warm weather, you may be barking up the wrong tree in Florida.

Oh I guess Northern culture...well yes I miss the fabulous food. Probably because so many Europeans moved to NE Ohio years ago to work in rubber, transportation, steel and the like. They brought wonderful food and restaurants with them...I MISS THAT LIKE ALL GET OUT, and yes I miss green, and water and lakes...
However remember I am in SC, and I'm used to hot (we're almost always hotter than Florida btw). and humidity and pretty much flat land.

Here's an example. NC and SC areas where I live were dry communites up until the late 70's. Meaning, the people my age 50-65 didn't grown up with clubs, live music etc like we did up North. There are actually bands that were playing together when I was 20 or so, that are still together. It's nice to go to a club and see music live from the 50's to the 90's. And watch people still dancing, and hearing music one loved. And have the chance to meet people your own age. That doesn't happen here. You're over 50? then church is your entertainment and chance to meet people.
There were no clubs, no live bands for people my age back in the 70 and 80's.
No neighborhood bar and grilles, things like that. And there still isn't.

Southern culture? here's 3 questions I hear often
"who's your people"
"what church do you go to"
"what part of the US are you from Yankee?"

Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
theres tons of people here from the Northeast and midwest but its not like living there. Its a complete hodge podge of humanity and becoming more and more hispanic/latin dominated as many move from south florida to central florida. TONS of people are fleeing florida for a myriad of reasons, generally florida seems to be disentegrating into the land of the lost....
So is the Charlotte metro region, actually at one time a couple of years ago,
the illegal immigrant population winner was between Charlotte metro and some areas in the SW. Trust me I'm used to it, predicted amounts of illegal immigrants in the Mecklenberg county area? 150-200 thousand.

It's just the way the USA is least the warm states anyway. I do love warm weather, and I do love the ocean, but I also need to work at least part time.
Since I'm not in construction just wondering if there is a chance for office work down there, or do they discriminate on age, like NC does?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 PM

64 posts, read 71,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
the illegal immigrant population winner was between Charlotte metro and some areas in the SW. Trust me I'm used to it, predicted amounts of illegal immigrants in the Mecklenberg county area? 150-200 thousand.

It's just the way the USA is least the warm states anyway. I do love warm weather, and I do love the ocean, but I also need to work at least part time.
Since I'm not in construction just wondering if there is a chance for office work down there, or do they discriminate on age, like NC does?

there is no Utopia

and Tampa Bay is no cake walk, but hey, I still like it better than most

Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 PM

69 posts, read 186,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

Tip: Leave off graduation dates and any job/work experience past ten years on your resume'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay