Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 PM

96 posts, read 734,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
Where do you live now? If you give us a general location, we could probably give you advice of where to go and what to do nearby there that meets your requirements. I don't live in St. Pete anymore, but I visit there on a regular basis to see my family.
I live in Seattle, Washington. But I lived in Florida for about ten years prior to moving there.

I have visited St. Pete about six or seven times, but mostly kept to the beaches area.

I am considering a move to St. Petersburg and am just trying to get a general impression of day to day life there and what people think about the city.

I have done quite a bit of Internet research, have located the kinds of grocery, bookstores, shopping area, etc. that I am interested in.

But what I was hoping to accomplish with this thread was just to hear from people who live there what the quality of life was like for them, and most importantly, why they felt that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:28 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,533,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
I'll say it. The majority of South St. Pete is crud except maybe around the water. This is from personally living in South St. Pete for many years with my family. Some parts of South St. Pete near downtown is acceptable. Pinellas Point is nice from what I hear. Lakewood Estates isn't too bad. I even hear Gulfport isn't to bad either, but anywhere else in South St. Pete is really undesireable. That doesn't mean that the north side is without fault as well. I'm not too crazy about Haynes Street area, but the majority of the bad areas in North St. Pete that are bad are filled with mobile homes and rednecks. I wonder if they'll delete my post now.
So your opinion of everyone who lives in a mobile home is a redneck? I've seen some really nice parks, that I'd hardly call redneck...I mean seriously you think the guy that got up and worked his rear off for 45 years, and wants to live in a mobile home by the beach, is a redneck, just because that's what he can afford?

Moderator cut: comment

Mrs. P.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-01-2008 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: please let's not get personal.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,063,783 times
Just to clear things up.. posts are not removed because they state an area is undesirable or even bad. They are removed if they violate the Terms of Service so take a moment and read it.

If anyone has any questions or concerns you are welcome to DM me for clarification.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,063,783 times
I am going to agree with Mrs P that not all mobile home parks are rednecks or filled with bad ppl. There are many parks that are strictly retirees and it is because that is what retirees can afford in order to be able to live in FL.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 36,303 times
Default st pete

My wife and I live in the Gateway area and love it...... You are close to the busy city of Tampa, and the Relaxed Coast of the Beach--in other words--take what you want...

Old 08-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Wow, this thread has totally veered off in a direction that is not helpful as far as my original question. I'd like to ask that people not use this thread as an opportunity to trash other people whose social status might be different from your own. I could care less about that sort of thing.

I'll try again: What is it about St. Petersburg that you absolutely just love? Or, on the other hand, what is it about living there that you find to be less than good?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,629,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
Wow, this thread has totally veered off in a direction that is not helpful as far as my original question. I'd like to ask that people not use this thread as an opportunity to trash other people whose social status might be different from your own. I could care less about that sort of thing.

I'll try again: What is it about St. Petersburg that you absolutely just love? Or, on the other hand, what is it about living there that you find to be less than good?
My parents live in St. Pete, so I'm there frequently to visit and am currently in the process of buying a home in the area. I'll try to get this thread back on point.

The things about St. Pete that I love are:
- the weather - if you like sunny, blue skied, warm days - which I do
- the beaches and parks - Fort DeSoto is incredible
- the wildlife - dolphins, seabirds, crabs, etc. are a common sight (I saw
manatees for the first time this year in the Crystal River - awesome!)
- the people - complete strangers have been very helpful and kind to me
- Publix - it's my favorite grocery store - great bakery, nice employees who
actually want to help you rather than treat you like an intrusion or bother
- restaurants - whatever I've wanted I've found
- palm trees, flowering bushes, green!
- the lifestyle - I can actually be outside every day of the year and enjoy
walking, biking, etc. which is impossible where I currently live

The worst things about St. Pete are:
- the traffic - it can get bad on major thoroughfares
- crazy drivers - who want to make a right turn from the far left lane
- taxes and insurance rates
- lower wages than I'm accustomed to
- the schools are not impressive
- it takes forever to get any work done - you contact a person to fix your
toilet, window, outlet, etc., you schedule a time for them to come, and
they never show up or show up hours or days later - I've never seen or
experienced anything like this in the Midwest, but it's common here

The craziest thing about St. Pete is the news. Watching the local news or reading the newspaper is hysterical! There are the run of the mill crimes you find everyplace, but then there are these crazy crimes that you'd never even conceive of - there are some really creative and stupid criminals in the area.

I think the good outweighs the bad, but that's just my opinion. I hope this helps you and best wishes.

Last edited by Sunnydee; 08-02-2008 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
My parents live in St. Pete, so I'm there frequently to visit and am currently in the process of buying a home in the area. I'll try to get this thread back on point.
Thanks for your great reply. That was exactly the sort of info I was hoping to get.

Let's hear from some others now!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 AM

428 posts, read 1,468,099 times
Good
Downtwon- 10 years ago The BIg EMpty- now The Big Story
State Theater/Jannus Landing- exceptional venues for concerts
Downtown on Saturday mornings- the market, lots of events, lots of people walking
Older housing stock- interesting architectural styles
Parks- large number of parks for kids and adults
Fishing- The tops! INshore, offshore
Beaches- less crowded, more family friendly, yet great beach bars

Bad:
Jobs- need more, though we are doing fairly well compared to Tampa
Older housing stock- many in not-good-shape. Many are small.

Ugly:
The prevalent homeless problem
Number of sex offenders living in town
The Uhurus

Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,162,168 times
I've lived in St. Pete for over 40 years.

Pros:
Great downtown
Great parks-Boyd Hill,Weedon Island
City street grid system is second to none
Four pro sport teams in the area
Florida Orchestra and Mahaffy Theater
Three colleges in town-St.Pete College,USF and Eckerd and a very good Vo-Tech school

Cons:
Gone are the days of Mom and Pop retiring here. It seems that only the very rich or the desperately poor move here.
Housing and insurance costs are ridiculous.
Nine months of hot,humid weather.
Public schools are some of the worst in a state known for it's lousy schools.
Traffic. And more traffic.

Still a good place to live but I'm moving on soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay