U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,203 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
My daughters and I currently live in Wellington Florida, and one of them is considering 2 universities in the SW area of Florida to earn her nursing degree: First, USF UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA , and FLORIDA GULF COAST UNIVERSITY. We are wondering about her safety. Between FT Myers (Florida Gulf Coast U.) and Tampa USF (University of S.FL) which "immediate" surrounding areas would you consider to be safer areas for her? Any input would be appreciated. Also, my other daughter and I would move to a surrounding area as well in a gated community. She would be attending HS as a junior. Daughter #1 would live on campus. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,970,535 times
I am going to move this to the Tampa Forum to see if you get a response there.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:55 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,145,038 times
You might ask on the Ft. Myers forum about FGU.

My DIL went to USF for nursing however she did not live in the area. If she is going to be living with you, then she should be fine.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,647,609 times
In my opinion, the safest area surrounding USF is along Bruce B Downs Blvd and north of Amberly Drive (Zip code 33647). There are many different price points in the area as well. The two high schools are Freedom and Wharton. There's another thread on this forum about Wharton, but Freedom is rated higher on FCAT scores. Here's a link to the local school district website --> http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/schools/.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,281,615 times
I personally will be doing classes online at FGCU, they offer a lot and I think the area down there may be better than Tampa Bay...just an opinion though. But she wouldn't just have to live next door to campus. You have to keep in mind, college areas are not always the lowest in crime. There is usually a lot going on...

Last edited by mquintana; 08-20-2008 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Added more

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 AM

392 posts, read 1,088,910 times
Having lived in both areas and familiar with both schools, I vote USF.

Both are good areas, both are good schools. I think USF has a fantastic medical program and high noteriaty in the industry; more-so then FGCU.

It comes down to what you're looking for out of a school, and the area the school is in. Ft Myers doesn't really have a nightlife whereas Tampa does. Just an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or