Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:39 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times

Advertisements

You should probably consider renting for at least one lease term so you have time to really experience the area and decide where you want to live. There are several apartment complexes along Westshore Blvd (pretty close to MacDill) that are decent with good amenities. I would consider this area rather than the Interbay area that is right next to MacDill.

Regarding commutes - they tend to take longer than you would think by just looking at a map. The interstate system is insufficient for the amount of traffic, and our surface streets are intentionally timed so that you catch almost every red light which is really frustrating. I would do everything in my power to minimize commute time so that you get more family time with your husband and he has less traffic-related stress.

Last point - lightning. You may not be aware of this, but central Florida is the lightning capital of the United States. Our daily afternoon thundershowers in the summer are more violent than you have probably ever experienced. Yesterday I flipped to BayNews9 as the storms were forming, and they had recorded more than 1000 lightning strikes over the space of 15 minutes. I mention this so you can make sure to counsel your children about lightning safety (don't stand under trees, crouch down on the balls of your feet if you are stuck out in the open, etc). No playing in the puddles during our afternoon thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,805 times
Default moving near MacDill AFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Stewart View Post
Hi anyone moving to Macdill afb feel free to ask me any questions. I just retired from the military and live near the base. Moderator cut: comment
Hey! MY husband is getting stationed at MacDill. We do want a close commute for him, but we also want to know where the best beaches are (and be close to them, too). Warm, clear water is important to us. Also, I'm a teacher, and I'm wondering what the best school system there is.
Thanks,
Susannah

Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 12,254 times
can you please give me more info on south fork. we are looking to rent a house on mango bay drive and i have been hearing some good and some bad. since you actually live in the community i would appreciate you input. i have an 11 yr old boy who does not want to leave sarasota i am hoping that there are plenty of other children for him to meet?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmermaid View Post
can you please give me more info on south fork. we are looking to rent a house on mango bay drive and i have been hearing some good and some bad. since you actually live in the community i would appreciate you input. i have an 11 yr old boy who does not want to leave sarasota i am hoping that there are plenty of other children for him to meet?

You might want to send Bnepler a Direct Message to be sure he knows you are asking him.

You can also start a new thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,378 times
Hello, I am retiring from the army in a couple of weeks. I'm recently divorced. I am from NC, but I have been looking at moving to the Tampa area around Macdill AFB. I have two boys 8-15. They live in SC. So I'm looking for an area close to the base, but would live as far away as 30min drive. Somewhen nice for my youngest son to play and my oldest to hang out. Also I would like to know is there job opportunitys on the base? Thanks Rocky

Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 PM

272 posts, read 606,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec8898 View Post
Hello, I am retiring from the army in a couple of weeks. I'm recently divorced. I am from NC, but I have been looking at moving to the Tampa area around Macdill AFB. I have two boys 8-15. They live in SC. So I'm looking for an area close to the base, but would live as far away as 30min drive. Somewhen nice for my youngest son to play and my oldest to hang out. Also I would like to know is there job opportunitys on the base? Thanks Rocky
Depends on your wants and needs I suppose. Do you plan on renting or buying? How much space do you require? What is your budget?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
the golf course on MacDill is always looking for employees....what kind of work are you looking to do?.....have you visited the usajobs.gov website to search for work? Just read that the AF is cutting 9,000 jobs, so I'm guessing MacDill will have its share of cuts.

are you intent on buying a home or renting? what amount of money are you looking at...there are a lot of retirees in Brandon - the commute is about 30 mins. Some retirees live over in Clearwater and drive over the Gandy Bridge to get to MacDill.

you probably want to look at they quality of schools for your sons...ps, I retired from the Army two years ago - there's a lot to do here in the TB area for entertainment. Good luck with your retirement.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...ns--ar-301300/

Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,378 times
I plan on renting at first to see how I like it there. Also I will be using my post 9/11 GI bill which helps me with rent at 1,600 a month. So ill will be looking at 900-1100 a month so ill some left to help with utility's. I need 2 bed rooms and a nice area so when I'm Lil boy comes to vist he would have somewhere to play. Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 05:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
are you going to attend HCC, USF, U of T or some other school? Do you want to be relatively close to your school?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy336 View Post
We have a 3 bedroom townhouse mod cut 2 minutes from MacDill. It is in a nice gated community, Bayshore Pointe, with a pool and view of the water. mod cut
We are moving very soon to the area. Do you still have your place available or info about where you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay