Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM

19 posts, read 51,476 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing how "bad" the schools are but on-line many seem pretty much on par with NY/NJ schools whether I check Great Schools, or the Hillsborough Cty and FL state sites. Yes, I'm sure there are some to avoid and every school has issues so what's so "bad" about them? Could someone please tell me what the real deal is?

Schools on our possible list are Sickles, Alonso, Gaither and Wharton based on looking at Lutz/New Tampa, Odessa, Westchase, Carrollwood and Brandon. Also, I just read a post that kids might not be admitted to their neighborhood school ... Is that true, and if so what's up with that?

Please help! Want to be sure we make the most informed decision possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 PM

144 posts, read 324,331 times
I've been touring Florida researching schools for my daughter. As a NYC resident, nearly every school is worlds ahead of any NYC public school. Most of the schools in FL are like Sweet Valley High in comparison. The people who claim some of those schools are "bad" probably never witnessed a bad school. Try William H. Taft High School (William Howard Taft High School (New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) ) in the Bronx - most of the board would be scared to even stand out front .. its all about perspective.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 31,188 times
As a former New Yorker, I was a little disapointed with the schools when my kids started school down here, but I see in my daughter who is now 12, that she is turning out ok I do believe that you need to be involved in the school and involved in your kids education though to get the most out of the schools. I often quiz my kids randomly when they are stuck with me in the car to see what they are learning and what I need to teach them.
Antony Francis
Realtor

Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyofour View Post
I keep hearing how "bad" the schools are but on-line many seem pretty much on par with NY/NJ schools whether I check Great Schools, or the Hillsborough Cty and FL state sites. Yes, I'm sure there are some to avoid and every school has issues so what's so "bad" about them? Could someone please tell me what the real deal is?

I'm sure there are schools in Florida that are better than schools in NYC (5 boroughs).

What are you looking at for a relative comparison when you look at greatschools website or similar?

Just because a school in Florida on one of these websites gets a high rating doesn't mean it's a good school. I think (I may be wrong), that these sites are comparing schools in Florida to schools in Florida. If this is true than thats not really saying much at all if you are trying to compare schools here to schools in the northeast.

If you can get a hold of some of the SAT, ACT, or any other national testing results, you can comapre between the states and get a better comparison.

I also look to see the average graduation rates for schools. The student to teacher ratio's. Student percentage for free and reduced lunch. Student racial demographics (most people say this does not matter to them although I believe most people are just afraid to admit it), education level for teachers as well as years teaching, and then of course you can look at the FCAT scores and school letter grades.

Oh, and I can say that when comparing school districts within florida the top 3 counties in my opinion are in order:

1. Okaloosa
2. Seminole
3. Brevard

Old 08-21-2008, 03:03 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somesnapper View Post
nearly every school is worlds ahead of any NYC public school. Most of the schools in FL are like Sweet Valley High in comparison. .
Moderator cut: comment You must be new here.

There are gangs, shootings, murders in the Tampa bay area schools, just like any other rough school district in America. It's all about money and location. If your wealthy and live in a good district, things will be better than if your dirt poor and live in the hood.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-21-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: don't call ppl liars

Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM

186 posts, read 377,631 times
If you can stand the long bus rides and getting up early, send the kids to magnet schools in Tampa.
Muller Elementary in Tampa is nice and so is Williams IB middle. GREAT TEACHERS AT WILLIAMS.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:51 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
Schools here are different than schools in the north. I have a friend from Jersey and she actually graduated before her class because she had more credit than the kids here. It wasn't because she was smarter, but because the level of learning up there is more advanced than down here. Brandon schools aren't so bad, I think Riverview ones are better.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 PM

19 posts, read 51,476 times
Thanks everyone for your input! I think you've confirmed what I've been thinking, i.e., all Tampa schools aren't terrible and I really need to just check them out for myself. Was getting really worried that they were all generally below standard and I'd end up paying for private schools.

Any advice on high schools to avoid? Also, is it true that kids might not get into their neighborhood school?

Old 08-28-2008, 05:49 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
depends were in tampa ..lutz has grade "a" schools.
You gotta do your research and you are the best judge ....visit the campus!!!!

think Gaither is a "c" ....or you can ship the kid off to the "ghetto" magnet school which aren't usually good at all. Struggling schools w/ a mag. school attached to them.(to boost its grade of course).
I have heard that Sickles is a great school ...lots of nice private schools around here as well but they will cost more then a mortgage monthly.

We plan to let our kids go to public schools in elementary and high school. I'm already saving money for private middle schools

Old 08-28-2008, 09:42 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Yes, the schools here are bad. At least the one my daughter just started. And it was a grade "A" school. She came from private schools up north, to this supposed "A" school. It's at least 2 years behind her last school, and she in all honors/advanced here, and they don't offer languages!!! I knew we should put her in private but my husband talked me out of it because of the "A" grade, said will wait to put her back in private until high school. Now we are scrambling to find a decent private (which IMO they're not as good here if you don't want religious). And the poverty she witnesses at school! And yes, we live in an upscale area, yet the school she goes to makes her feel like she is in the inner city. In her words, she has never seen such ignorant people in her life, nor such poverty. I would be scared of the public system here if I were you. Thats just my opinion, and my standards are probably much greater than most, but education is a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay