U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 PM

16 posts, read 32,166 times

Advertisements

Guys,
Help me out:

I have a job offer in Tampa ( zipcode 33647) offering base salary of $90k/year + other benefits.
My wife is stay at home with 2 kids ( 1 yr old daughter + 4 yr old son ).

How is Tampa in general ? Cost wise ? I know there is no income tax...
Real estate wise ? I would like to buy a relatively newer home ( not older than 2000) and smaller home ( < 2000 sq ft ) in good neighborhood with good schools ? How much am I looking to pay ? Ofcourse I would be renting for sometime before I buy if I decide to move...

BTW: I would be moving from san Diego CA...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,172,285 times
Cost of living is not high here, especially coming from San Diego. I think 33647 is near New Tampa, and the homes there are newer, and prices are coming down drastically. All in all what you're considering sounds reasonable.

One warning though, schools here are horrendous. We moved to an area with an "A" school, and naively put our daughter there. She is in all honors/advanced and the work she is doing is what she was doing in 5th grade in private school in Indiana. She is in 7th now. The bus she takes is so packed that there is no room to walk and 4 kids to a seat, instead of 2. And for this we pay $9K in taxes a year?? We will be putting her back in private ASAP. Sorry to rant, but don't trust the school ratings around here. Either put in private or do extensive research. Otherwise we love Tampa

Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Thanks
Just curious how would you pay for private school there?
Might be too expensive for me to do this....

Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,172,285 times
Sorry, I don't understand your question. I guess it just depends on your income and your priorities how you would afford private school. I know that not everyone can afford it, but its just my suggestion if its within your budget. If it is not, then do extensive research on the schools.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:46 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,533,667 times
hmm, lets see....having lived in san diego myself and without pointing out all the obvious problems in the Tampa Bay area i would just say if u r happy in san diego and you are from there, can afford to live there, etc then i would not conisder uprooting and moving here. If u r terribly unhappy there, cannot afford it, have no family there, etc then maybe consider moving

Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,407 times
It's a buyer's Market, Houses that size are now anywhere between $125-$250K, for something really nice, a steal for someone from CA! 90K, here...you're rich! Seriously. Depending on the neighborhood. What area your job is in depends on where you can look.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
hmm, lets see....having lived in san diego myself and without pointing out all the obvious problems in the Tampa Bay area i would just say if u r happy in san diego and you are from there, can afford to live there, etc then i would not conisder uprooting and moving here. If u r terribly unhappy there, cannot afford it, have no family there, etc then maybe consider moving
Thanks JSnFla,
Good to get comments from someone who lived in San Diego.
I liked San Diego but keeping in view the insane housing prices, for me it is impossible to afford a house here.
I have no family here except my stay at home wife and 2 kids liviing with me..

Can you please tell me obvious problems in Tampa Bay area... if possible ?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,533,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd123 View Post
Thanks JSnFla,
Good to get comments from someone who lived in San Diego.
I liked San Diego but keeping in view the insane housing prices, for me it is impossible to afford a house here.
I have no family here except my stay at home wife and 2 kids liviing with me..

Can you please tell me obvious problems in Tampa Bay area... if possible ?
well it sounds like u dont have many ties to san diego and find it too expensive to live, as do many, so making a move could be right for you. the tampa bay area has a lot of problems as does the entire state. many of the problems stem from florida having no real economy, lack of decent jobs, a relative (to wages) high cost of living and very transient population. the weather from the end of may til the end of october is unbelieveably hot, humid and rainy. its a bit of a twilight zone type place with all walks of life from all parts of the country/world fighting to survive here. considering u would have a high paying job u should be able to find a spot here that would be pleasant and have a good lifestyle for your family. hopefully u r in a field that would make it easy to find another job if necessary because the market here is horrible. 90k is almost unheard of in tampas version of corporate america. real estate is in shambles in florida so there should be good deals on nicer homes. i would visit and drive around all of tampa bay and check it out and see what you think.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,774,832 times
Quote:
90k is almost unheard of in tampas version of corporate america.
I dont many people personally making less than this in Tampa Bay area...then again, I am friends with college grads, business professionals and entrepenuers owning thier own businesses of all kinds..and have been in Tampa 20 years. Sure many people make less than this here, but its definitely NOT unheard of in Tampa....

Just to note, JSnFla is not a happy camper when it comes to Tampa or Florida from what ive seen in the posts, so I can only hope that JSnFla finds happiness somewhere soon, life is too short

Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 AM

5,969 posts, read 8,117,851 times
Quote:
well it sounds like u dont have many ties to san diego and find it too expensive to live, as do many, so making a move could be right for you. the tampa bay area has a lot of problems as does the entire state. many of the problems stem from florida having no real economy, lack of decent jobs, a relative (to wages) high cost of living and very transient population. the weather from the end of may til the end of october is unbelieveably hot, humid and rainy. its a bit of a twilight zone type place with all walks of life from all parts of the country/world fighting to survive here. considering u would have a high paying job u should be able to find a spot here that would be pleasant and have a good lifestyle for your family. hopefully u r in a field that would make it easy to find another job if necessary because the market here is horrible. 90k is almost unheard of in tampas version of corporate america. real estate is in shambles in florida so there should be good deals on nicer homes. i would visit and drive around all of tampa bay and check it out and see what you think.
With 90k in Florida you will be considered an elite. 90k salaries are just a dream for most college graduates in Florida. Most professionals are lucky to make in the mid 30's. Anyone that tells you otherwise about Florida salaries is speaking fictions. The only concern I would have is if you lost your job here in Florida after you moved. I have seen it many times before when people get transferred to Florida with their high out of state salaries only to lose their jobs months later and then have to get a job at the typical low Florida wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or