U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM

9 posts, read 17,445 times

Advertisements

I really want to move to Florida, have always had a thing for florida. If I had my way I would have went to college there. But my parents wouldn't have it. Well now i'm 26, and still in Pennsylvania. And need to move. I feel its a dream I need to full-fill, that it will always eat at me if I do not atempt it at least.

I have a friend who recently moved to Apollo Beach. So just so I know someone I was thinking about that area. Problem is, i do not have a car. So was wondering what life would be like w/o my own transportation. Here in the Pocono's i can walk to and from work, take a bus, or call a taxi.

I have never lived anywhere but in PA. So this is a big move for me. But I feel it is way overdue.

Thank you for reading, and info would be helpful. Looking to move around November/December time.
Just need info on places where you need not your own transportation. Could walk to and from work, (safely that is). And a reasonable apartment around 600-700/mo. Oh, I also have a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,680,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemwags View Post
I really want to move to Florida, have always had a thing for florida. If I had my way I would have went to college there. But my parents wouldn't have it. Well now i'm 26, and still in Pennsylvania. And need to move. I feel its a dream I need to full-fill, that it will always eat at me if I do not atempt it at least.

I have a friend who recently moved to Apollo Beach. So just so I know someone I was thinking about that area. Problem is, i do not have a car. So was wondering what life would be like w/o my own transportation. Here in the Pocono's i can walk to and from work, take a bus, or call a taxi.

I have never lived anywhere but in PA. So this is a big move for me. But I feel it is way overdue.

Thank you for reading, and info would be helpful. Looking to move around November/December time.
Just need info on places where you need not your own transportation. Could walk to and from work, (safely that is). And a reasonable apartment around 600-700/mo. Oh, I also have a cat.
My advice would be to do your homework before you move. I also lived no where but N.H. before moving to Florida 8 years ago. I also had the big fantasy idea of what a paradise it would be here.If you think you'll find the quality of life and all around beauty of the Poconos down here your in for a big dissapointment. There's absoutly no comparison. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,610,201 times
IMO, if you move to the Tampa Bay area, you absolutely need your own transportation. Necessary services and recreation are spread too far apart to be without it.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,266,561 times
It's hard here without transportation. I am not sure about Apollo Beach having bus systems or anything. I am sure it can be done without a car, but it'll be hard. Fl. is completely different than PA, so I would plan a trip down here and visit your friend first, before moving. You can always look online for apts. and see if there is anything that you may be interested in...
www.apartmentguide.com
www.rent.com
www.mynewplace.com
www.forrent.com
www.craigslist.com

Good luck and I hope you fulfill the dreams you have always wanted.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,346,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
My advice would be to do your homework before you move. I also lived no where but N.H. before moving to Florida 8 years ago. I also had the big fantasy idea of what a paradise it would be here.If you think you'll find the quality of life and all around beauty of the Poconos down here your in for a big dissapointment. There's absoutly no comparison. Good luck with your move.
Ken's right...it'll be a BIG difference between the Poconos and Tampa. My husband and I are from the W-B area, moved here in 2000 and we still aren't really used to it. Thanksgiving and Christmas just don't seem "right" to us down here. Believe me. I know where you're coming from and it's night and day. FL is about as flat as flat can be. So, say bye-bye to the mountains and scenic, winding drives along the hills.

I doubt I could survive without a car here. You would have to live only blocks from a main vein with businesses and shopping if you want to walk. Or, start taking the bus. I wouldn't be able to take the bus even if I wanted to because it doesn't stop anywhere near my neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,490,634 times
What does your friend think? Go visit and at least see what you will living in as far as a state goes.

If you like mountains and cold weather 4 seasons forget it not here.

If you like tropical weather with rain and high heat and humidity you will get that here in the summer.

I like Florida but alot of people don`t so think carefully.

If it was me and I had a good job and family there I would not do it, luckily for me I have plenty of family here and I like the area and weather.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 17,445 times
Thank you everyone. It gives me a lot to think about. I actully like the hot weather very much. I can not stand cold weather. Which is why I originally thought about Tampa area. When my friend moved down there in June, I called to see how she liked it, and she stated that I would love it. Right now I walk to and from work and it is about 3.5miles. So I have no problem walking. and Flat land would probly be better than the hills I have here to walk on, to be honest. But everyone is right, I know it would be better to visit before I just move on impulse. I am just very anxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay