Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 13,092 times

Advertisements

I am 23 years old and am considering moving to Tampa sometime next year. I currently live in Tallahassee; I moved here on a whim a little over a year ago from Minneapolis, MN and have now become bored. I love living in Florida (though the bugs are ridiculous), but I'm ready to move on from Tallahassee. I'm also considering Jacksonville or Orlando. I just need to be in a larger city where I can make a more appropriate amount of money for the work I do ( I work as a business manager in radio.) I really just want to live comfortable in a nice area and always have something to do. Can someone give me some advice about living in Tampa and being around my age and not in school.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 AM

79 posts, read 331,175 times
If it was my choice I would choose the Orlando area. My sister has lived there since she got out of school and has done very well for herself, plus she bought a home in the downtown area a very short walk to all the clubs and bars. I live here in the Tampa Bay area and would do anything to move away. This area does not have the kind of opportunity that Orlando does. The job market is not as great, everything is such a long drive to get anywhere, and the people just seem to not be as nice. If you can choose where to move, research the job markets first before you make that choice.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,460 times
DON'T move to Tampa. I have been here 3 years from Boston and can't wait to move. My brother moved here in Dec from Minneapolis and is moving back in Jan. It is the most boring small town. No one goes out, and if they do it is not your usual city life Thurs-Sun. Move to Orlando or Miami.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:14 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sox22 View Post
DON'T move to Tampa. I have been here 3 years from Boston and can't wait to move. My brother moved here in Dec from Minneapolis and is moving back in Jan. It is the most boring small town. No one goes out, and if they do it is not your usual city life Thurs-Sun. Move to Orlando or Miami.
I will say that Orlando is just as bad or worse considering we are so far from the beach. Miami is the best and only choice for true nightlife and overall fun in Florida especially for someone the OP's age.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufoster View Post
I am 23 years old and am considering moving to Tampa sometime next year. I currently live in Tallahassee; I moved here on a whim a little over a year ago from Minneapolis, MN and have now become bored. I love living in Florida (though the bugs are ridiculous), but I'm ready to move on from Tallahassee. I'm also considering Jacksonville or Orlando. I just need to be in a larger city where I can make a more appropriate amount of money for the work I do ( I work as a business manager in radio.) I really just want to live comfortable in a nice area and always have something to do. Can someone give me some advice about living in Tampa and being around my age and not in school.

Thanks.
Did you know that Tampa is one of the worst cities for young professionals? I forgot, but I think it was one of those college sites. It seems like it is true, even though I am 44. I would not like it here if I were your age. I am from D.C. nova area. That would be a great place to move if you are career minded, but its expensive too.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sox22 View Post
Not true! There are a million things to do if you look. There is no way to be bored in Tampa. If you want bars move to New York. There are other things to do in life.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
I would definatly choose Orlando, there are a lot of opportunities over there than here. Just keep in mind though, with the economy the way it is, it may be harder to find a job anywhere.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:06 PM

10 posts, read 66,040 times
I'm 32 originally from NYC and been living in Tampa for 4 years now. I've grown tired of this town and almost moved back up north until I found a great job.

A few things about Tampa:
-there are very few walkable areas (It's too spread out)
-No Public Transit
-Local economy is highly dependent on real estate and tourism
-Nightlife is almost non-existent
-summers are horribly hot
-No mountains (FL is flatlands)
Pros are:

Homes are affordable (compared to the northeast)
Beaches are unbeatable
Lots of water sports

Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 13,641 times
I would suggest checking Orlando out. I think there is way more to do there than in Tampa, it is cleaner, and if you are wanting to buy a place you can get more for your buck there than here. Real estate tax is also lower there. I like my job here and can not get the same type of job in Orlando, otherwise I would've already moved.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Do some internet research on meetup.com and creativeloafing.com and see if there are any activities that peak your interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay