U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM

101 posts, read 404,650 times

Advertisements

Tremendous help, thanks again!

Your friend,
Fishhead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
BGF

57 posts, read 191,080 times
Karen, those two web sites are a life saver. It means my estimate for my housing costs is correct. Cool.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,839,358 times
It's cool to see Farm Bureau is the cheapest for Hillsborough in those quotes.

Farm Bureau is who I have in TN and my homeowners is $600/yr.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Thinking of moving to Carrollwood.

Cannot move because I'm a member of the U.S. military and will be stationed here in all liklihood through at least 2014 on strategic duty.

Thanks
We live in the Carrollwood area - retired military as of this year. Our original home price was 300k, and until they re-did the tax rates this year, our taxes were around 4800.00, and insurance was around 1400.00. The tax office just lowered the value of our home by 107K - the darlins that they are - and so our taxes dropped to around 3600.00. Of course, we have a huge negative equity in our property now. Also, watch out for the HOAs. Some of these places are very an*l in regards to the deed restrictions... they have people who actually drive around looking for infractions. I don't mean things like junk cars in your front yard. I am talking about "weeds in your flowerbed" that you cannot see from the street - which is a letter I received.

The commute is horrible, but you know from being AD that you would be missing a lot of the early morning traffic because you would be reporting for PT or duty around 6am right? In the afternoon though, you are looking at traffic on Dale Mabry, the Veterans, or 275 N. My wife hated this commute. It was easily 45-60 minutes daily.

If you have children, the schools are decent. Gaither and Sickles are two good high schools, and Ben Hill and Adams for middle school. I would say that Essrig is a little better than Carrollwood E.S., but they are about the same I guess.

On most Saturdays, the traffic along Ehrlich Rd. between Dale Mabry and Lynn Turner Rd. is about the same as it is during rush-hour mornings.

Enough of the negatives. The positives: shopping is fairly close. There are a couple of Wal-Marts, a Sam's Club, Publix, Sweet Bay, etc for food stores. Home Depot and Lowes are close by, as are several franchised restaurants (Applebee's, Chili's, etc). The mall is near as are a couple of nice movie theaters - with good military ticket rates. For the sake of convenience we usually don't hit the commissary because of the drive all the way down to MacDill. The cost of gas to get there now is close to the commissary savings. Plus it would be better to take a cooler w/ ice for your frozen foods and meats. We normally go to either Sam's, Publix, or Super Wal-Mart for groceries. In addition to shopping and movies, there are bowling alleys and other things not too far away. It's a good location that seems to be bustling and busy a lot of the times.

So, I know you were just asking about tax information, but there is a lot more of the big picture than the tax dollars. In this area, because of the over-inflated housing prices in 2005/6, there are many many foreclosed homes on the market. You should be able to find a great deal. You may want to look at renting for a year or so before buying... just to see how everything fits your lifestyle and commute. For insurance, we have USAA which seem to have very competetive rates when compared to some of my coworkers' rates.

HTH,
Dave

Old 09-18-2008, 05:07 PM

14 posts, read 27,151 times
Fishhead....I live in Original Carrollwood which, I feel, is a very nice neighborhood. We have a 3/2, 1600+ square foot house and our taxes are $3000 (that includes our neighborhood fees for our parks, lake access, etc.). We bought our house in 2005. Our insurance was about $1800 this year. I am just curious, why did you think the combined taxes and insurance would be about $8000-$9000K a year? Wow, that would be horrible (and, to be honest, I would cry!). Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,341,978 times
Once again, bringing up the home we tried to buy...

Original owners bought the home for just a little over $300k so their current taxes are around $5,100 yr because they had no exemption. Now, the home's market value, per the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser site, is about $190k which would make the taxes for next yr roughly $2,500-2,800.

I don't believe the estimator on the website. Had we bought the home, I think our reassessed taxes would have been somewhere in the $3-4k range though we budgeted for $5k to be safe.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,771,282 times
Last I heard, USAA doesn't establish new policies for home insurance since 2006, I believe. Possibly 2007. I remember seeing their notice on their website. That's pretty bad from long term members such as myself. I've been paying them $$$$$ for nearly a quarter of a decade - now I'm eagerly going to buy my first home, only to be told no USAA coverage.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 AM

151 posts, read 724,704 times
That is correct re: USAA. They will only cover active duty military on orders to come to FL, otherwise, no insurance. We couldn't even get renters coverage from them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or