U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 PM

12 posts, read 26,423 times

Advertisements

Actually Egrets Landing is Palm Harbor..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 PM

100 posts, read 175,118 times
Your best bet is to view the areas yourself if you can so you can get a good visual of the area that you are going to move to.I can tell you this, most of those apartments in River view and Brandon were great at one time and after they tore down the public housing in and around Yborcity and Tampa they moved all of those people to that area.Now there are home burglary's,shootings,robberies and all other type of nonsense that the police in that area are unequipped to handle.

St pete is ok but please choose wisely over there.
The amount of crime over there has a throwback feeling to a shoot out in the middle of Brooklyn or something.
I do not know how much money you have to spend but Tampa Palms is the best and safest place to move.

Here are some places to investigate
The Grand Reserve at Tampa Palms
Vinings At Hunter's Green
The Hamptons At Tampa Palms

You can find more if you goggle the area and I don't want you to think that no where in Tampa is safe but Tampa Palms but I'm a numbers guy and I go by the statistics more then what my buddies tell me.
I truly hope you find a happy home because lord I know how hard it is to find one but I trust that you will make a wise decision.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 AM

12 posts, read 26,423 times
Thank you so much, definitely leaning to Tampa Palms, everyone seems to have the same opinion. S. Tampa looks nice, kind of like the 3rd ward district in Milwaukee but with kids (mine will be around in the summer) not sure that they would have much to do around the young professional kind of people without kids..As far as the Hampton not even in the book but I will look it up online. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 22,430 times
Default Also moving from Wisconsin

Well, the girlfriend and I begin the trek down to Tampa tomorrow... taking our time stopping in Louisville tomorrow night and Atlanta on Thursday night before reaching Tampa on Friday.

She's staying down there with our friends in Hyde Park... I'm flying back to Milwaukee but will be back down by the end of October. Everyone asks us "isn't it hot during the summer, you'll always be inside..." and we tell them yep, and it's cold in Milwaukee for 4 months of year, but you don't have to shovel sunshine!

We're going to rent for a year, likely in the Hyde Park/Palma Ceia or Davis Islands area... girlfriend is working in Brandon. Not sure yet where I'll be yet (the reason why I'll be back in Sconnie for a bit).

I've read many posts over the past couple of weeks and noticed that many of you are cynical about your own hometown... why? People who lived in Milwaukee their whole life are the same way but whenever we have out of town guests they rave about Milwaukee (except for the weather) and tell us how awesome it is. I've always tried to be a champion for where I live, sure there are bad parts about every city but when we visited for the first time in April we had an amazing time.

My grandpa lives in Brooksville half of the year and he said to me that I would be amazed how much the area reminds him of Wisconsin... I guess I hope I'm not setting my expectations too high.

Anyhow - I'm looking forward very much to moving down, escaping the winter, and not paying 6-7% of my income to the state of Wisconsin.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,772,940 times
[quote=cbroolio;5200717]
I've read many posts over the past couple of weeks and noticed that many of you are cynical about your own hometown... why? People who lived in Milwaukee their whole life are the same way but whenever we have out of town guests they rave about Milwaukee (except for the weather) and tell us how awesome it is. I've always tried to be a champion for where I live, sure there are bad parts about every city but when we visited for the first time in April we had an amazing time.
[quote]

Tampa is not my hometown, but after 20 years, I still LOVE it here...you have to remember, the city of Tampa is roughly 350k people(the entire Bay area is close to 2M), yet there are only about a dozen or so that actually post to this forum.....

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,353 times
how was your tripTampaborn? I too come from Milwaukee, started a new job here in St. Pete and I'm researching areas while I sell our my house in Milwaukee. I'm renting for now and I've been driving to several areas, my main concerning is the commute time, pretty much all the nice communities for families and kids are far from my work (Gandy Boulevard & Martin Luther King) so I don't know what to choose. So far I like Westchase, New Tampa, Tampa Palms and Riverview. Wesley Chappel is awesome but it would be crazy to commute from there (1 hour) but on the other hand closest places are more expensive for the same tipe of house. I'd like to knowmore about your perspective and any other that could help me to decide.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,258,933 times
Yes, Egret's Landing is in Palm Harbor and I can honestly say that being a sister property of mine, you will get excellent service because the management company is one of the best ones in the area. They put a lot of money into the property to keep them well maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaborn1 View Post
Actually Egrets Landing is Palm Harbor..

Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 AM

You must be thinking of Plantation Key/Providence Park, and yes, these are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY P View Post
Yes please take it from me,stay away from the Brandon mall area.I hate to see people move somewhere and be stuck in a lease and not be warned ahead of time.That area is terrible.
I know Tampa like the back of my hand so if you list all your possible choices I can give you my unbiased opinion on the places you might want to go.Just trying to help.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Ok, here are my choices maybe you can help. Brandon: Allegro Palm and Springs at Bloomingdale - actually think these are Riverview. Springs of Bloomingdale has foundation issues, not a great choice. I know many people who moved from there because the buildings are settling and they are cracking from the inside.
NE Tampa: Andover Place (This is actually Andover Place and Addison Park at Cross Creek, in New Tampa. Nice properties, another of my sister properties. I like the Addison side better, features are nicer.), Jade@Tampa Palms, Marquis of Tampa Palms-I have heard good things about this place from a few people., Portofino & Vinings@Hunter Green-This used to be one of our properties, but it's nice and laid out like Andover Place/Addison park (Spanos built)
Clearwater: Egrets Landing (another sister property, you can't go wrong with this management company. I know many people that will only lease from the management company) & Mainstreet Apts.
St Pete/Gateway: The Coves of Brighton Bay
South Tampa: Arbour Ponds & Lighthouse Bay...have to call on a few more..This is just my input.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:30 AM

10 posts, read 62,468 times
Default I'm looking to move to Tampa too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaborn1 View Post
I'm a single, 42-year-old woman moving to the wonderful Tampa Bay area around November 1, and I'm looking for a good place to live. Actually, I was born in Tampa, and can't wait to get back to my birthplace! I'm escaping from the cold of Wisconsin, thank goodness.

I want to find an area that's safe, has good shopping nearby, and good access to the rest of the metro area. I'll be looking for suburbs or neighborhoods with good choices on apartments. I've heard there are decent choices in the $800 to $900 range. What can I expect to find with those kinds of rents? Should I be choosing a gated community? Are they available in that rent range?

I've heard good things about Brandon. And the south Tampa area. Ditto Clearwater, northeast Tampa, and Largo. What do you think about those areas? Or others?

I'm visiting soon to begin narrowing down my options. I'd love some additional advice from those in the know!

I'm in the same position as well. I'm coming from California. I recently retired and believe the weather will be much better for my medical condition. Does anyone advise taking a trip to the area for a couple of days or so to get a first hand feel, once I get a general idea where I want to be? As everyone can probably tell, I have never left my hometown in Northern CA. LOL I too would appreciate any advice and have learned lots from the posts thus far. Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or