Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 15,258 times

Advertisements

I am also looking to move into Tampa SOON, and I already paid for an application fee and everything at crosswynde condos...and just now started reading reviews of people saying they are horrible, so now im really scared of moving in...what got me was there prices and square footage of the apartments...and the pictures are really nice...I really would appreciate some feedback if anyone can help me...!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,680,593 times
Pictures are always deceiving, especially when it comes to advertising for apartment communities (trust me, I have been in this industry for years). I know a little about Crosswyndes, I had a friend who chose not to rent there. The floor plans are ok, but they are condo conversions. Watch out for the lease, I know people who lived there and had 30 days to get out because the supposed "condo" was sold. Might I suggest Courtney Trace, Addison Park, The Estates at Tuscany Ridge, Hamlin at Lake Brandon, Lucerne, and Asprey. I suggest these places before the Crosswyndes. The location is another thng of mine, Crosswyndes is kinda out in the middle of no where.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM

47 posts, read 150,107 times
I'm sure by now you know what the apts are like. I also live in Crosswyndes. I think they are nice. They take care of maint. issues fast and have really clean nice facilities like rec room and pool. The price for the unit size is really great. Huge closets and bathrooms. They are good about pest control and lawn care too.
The negatives for me are... The noise is ridiculous. Make sure you get a top floor unit. You can't really hear the people beside you, but you hear every little step from above. Also, there are a lot of bratty kids that come over from other , shall we say, less desireable nearby areas. I've seen cardloads of kids being dropped off to play at the indoor b-ball courts even though there is a code. One final vent, there is only 1 trash compactor at the main entrance. Great if you live close-by. Not so great if you have to haul stinky trash in your car or walk it from the other side of the community.

Also- as far as being "far out there" It is actually right in the middle of a perfect location. Almost walking distance to Brandon mall and the whole Causeway shopping area. We are right near the Xtown/I-75 junction. Super easy for friends to find us. There are plenty of things around here to do.

Overall- there are pros and cons with any apartments. I would give this one a thumbs up.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Almost walking distance...? Darn, almost not...lol. That would be a long walk! Crosswyndes is on 301...it's close to Crosstown and the industrial area...not far from Brandon, but not ideal on location. Not the greatest area, not the worst. Not far from Palm River and 78th-not a good area. Overall...I would rather be in Brandon myself. My fiance works right down the street...let me tell you how many times his co-workers has had car break ins-in the parking lot-IN broad daylight...and his job is less than .5 of a mile away from Crosswyndes...but then again-crime has no address...

Old 10-12-2009, 10:43 AM

47 posts, read 150,107 times
I did say almost. It's 3/4 of a mile. My friend made fun of me too for saying that. LOL! Personally, I would take the car but hey, if I had to walk it, I would. I've walked many a mile before to shop. There are some shady areas around here. I do agree. Fortunately, I haven't had any crime issues nor have I heard of any, although I'm sure they exist. They run a criminal background on people to rent here although I find it hard to believe in 498 units there are no criminals. As you mentioned, some of them are privately owned so Im sure there is no discretion there. I guess the location is all in what you're looking for. I prefer the easy access to the major highways (Xtown, I-75, I-4) I have lived In Brandon for 22 years. I liked this complex because I can jump on 301 and bypass all the heavy Brandon traffic.
As I said- all communities have pros and cons. I wish we were a gated community as they advertise. we are not!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Ah...yes, the gate thing...so hard. I don't think everyone realizes how expensive it is to keep up. Everytime that gate breaks, we have to get it fixed-it costs about $3000-4000. It's ashamed really. The property probably got tired of repeatedly fixing it. Some communities do that-the expense is too much. Yes, the location to the freeways is good there-close to Crosstown and such. Criminal background checks are done with almost all apartment communities, but it never rids of crime unfortunatly. I, personally have never had issues with crime-even when living in a rough part of Tampa (wasn't by choice but all I could afford at the time-especially after relocating from AZ). Yeah, every place has pros and cons, no matter how new or old the place is...

Old 10-16-2009, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 15,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlene03 View Post
I am also looking to move into Tampa SOON, and I already paid for an application fee and everything at crosswynde condos...and just now started reading reviews of people saying they are horrible, so now im really scared of moving in...what got me was there prices and square footage of the apartments...and the pictures are really nice...I really would appreciate some feedback if anyone can help me...!!!
They suck!!! I did rent there. Great Price good square footage, awesome pictures.....but the manager is horrible to the renters since they also sell the condos they have preference for the owners over the tenants. There are so many more apartment complexes in the area that offer so much more and look sooo much better!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,294,534 times
All you can do to prevent crime is try to rent a place that has a high income to cost of rent ratio. a lot of times some of the higher priced places will keep out the riff-raff. I am not saying just because somone earns a decent living makes them exempt from the status of "dirt-bag" just saying that people renting in pricier communities are more likely to have higher incomes and less likely to break into someones car for the change in the ashtray.

all that does is potentially increase the chance that your neighbors are less likely to commit petty crimes, but that is more of a sociological debate.

Now... all apartments have the same type of background check I believe. They are pretty basic, and if you do a search for, say, sex offenders in your area, you will see that the backround checks dont neccessarily prevent anyone from renting a unit. at the end of the day, the apartment community is still a business, and money talks, regardless of what your criminal history is.

Lastly, GATES, working or not, is a false sense of security. people tailgate me in through my gate at the Estates ALL THE TIME. If the avarage person is willing to taigate someone through, you better believe that a criminal will. My neighbor had his stereo stolen a few months ago, thats when it hit me that the gates are really pointless.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
All you can do to prevent crime is try to rent a place that has a high income to cost of rent ratio. a lot of times some of the higher priced places will keep out the riff-raff. I am not saying just because somone earns a decent living makes them exempt from the status of "dirt-bag" just saying that people renting in pricier communities are more likely to have higher incomes and less likely to break into someones car for the change in the ashtray.
Not all the way true only because crime has no address so regardless of how much the rent is won't keep out people who are up to no good. I have lived in very expensive places and not so expensive places in not so great areas and crime was about the same.

all that does is potentially increase the chance that your neighbors are less likely to commit petty crimes, but that is more of a sociological debate.

Now... all apartments have the same type of background check I believe. They are pretty basic, and if you do a search for, say, sex offenders in your area, you will see that the backround checks dont neccessarily prevent anyone from renting a unit. at the end of the day, the apartment community is still a business, and money talks, regardless of what your criminal history is.
Not true, atleast for the company I work for-a felony is a felony and we won't lease to anyone with one. This doesn't apply to all communities though. Most, if not all companies run a background check-you are right on that one.

Lastly, GATES, working or not, is a false sense of security. people tailgate me in through my gate at the Estates ALL THE TIME. If the avarage person is willing to taigate someone through, you better believe that a criminal will. My neighbor had his stereo stolen a few months ago, thats when it hit me that the gates are really pointless.
Yes, yes, yes! Very, very true! Gates are a very false sense of security. If you ever noticed, after a person has entered the gate, and you are pulling up as they close, if you go close enough to the gate, it will open up again--there is a sensor on there (it's to prevent breaking gates-a prevention though, it doesn't always work so effectively). I am glad you brought this to everyone's attention though, it's very true...

Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Yes, a lot of brand new one's have popped up--like right down the street from Crosswyndes, a place called Circles at Crosswyndes. Also, down the street is The Estates at Tuscany Ridge. There are so many more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlene03 View Post
They suck!!! I did rent there. Great Price good square footage, awesome pictures.....but the manager is horrible to the renters since they also sell the condos they have preference for the owners over the tenants. There are so many more apartment complexes in the area that offer so much more and look sooo much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay