Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 AM

13 posts, read 35,835 times

Advertisements

Hi we are looking to move to Tampa at the end of next year, we will have to buy a buisness that will support our visa, we have 2 children an 11 year old and a 3 year old, we really like the Westchase area and have heard good things about it. Does anyone have any tips etc on the best type of businesses for that area or about the area? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
You do realize our country is in a recession (especially Florida) and businesses are folding? What kind of experience do you have? You really don't just "buy a business" with no experience and expect it will support you and your family.

You better sit down and rethink this.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:28 AM

849 posts, read 2,923,989 times
Agree 100%. Floirda's economy is terrible right now, as is a lot of this country. Houses are in foreclosure, businesses are folding, you name it. Just in my area alone, several businesses that have been in operation for close to 50 years are calling it quits.
I am hoping that you guys have other options available to move, such as a decent job and are not holding onto hopes of starting a business and making a dream life here in America.
I hate to be a killjoy, but I am telling you this from a realistic standpoint. There would be nothing worse than you and your children arriving here, going into debt and ending up bankrupt and homeless because no one told you there were major cons to your plan.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 AM

154 posts, read 534,180 times
On the brighter side: if things work out but you still miss these fish n' chips with malt vinegar, there are non-stop flights from Tampa to London....

Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 AM

Thanks I will keep that in mind! My husband has years of experience in running and setting up buisnesses so I am sure we will cope!! Not that keen on fish and chips either!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle harding View Post
Thanks I will keep that in mind! My husband has years of experience in running and setting up buisnesses so I am sure we will cope!! Not that keen on fish and chips either!!
Also keep in mind that when the economy's in crisis it can be more challenging to run a business as a foreigner with an E2 visa that it would be for a local to run that same business, as there are built-in sustainability requirements for the ongoing visa renewal process. In other words, while a local could merely 'scrape by' during a difficult period you cannot - as your status in the U.S. will depend on the profitability of your venture. If your visa renewal is denied at any point then you'll have difficulty in selling that same business that caused it as a going concern - so the big questions you need to ask yourselves are (a) how big a safety net can we allow ourselves if we have to return home suddenly and (b) how much money would we be willing to risk losing? If you can answer those two easily and honestly to one another then I say "go for it" and "good luck"!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Thank you for that, we will keep it in mind. We are coming back over in Febuary so I am sure we will get some more of our questions answered then too. I know it is a big step but if we dont do it now we never will get round to it, we would still have enough money if it did all fail to come home and still have the same life style as we do now, but not going to think like that! Thanks again

Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM

137 posts, read 454,564 times
Hi Michelle:

My husband came over here three years ago from Ulverston and we now live in Tampa. It sure is HOT here and my husband sometimes can't handle the heat. Ha Ha. Good luck though in whatever you do. What part of England are you from?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 AM

We are from Nottingham, and today it is raining.....again!! I am fine with the heat just not the sun but I will try and stay out of it as much as possible. Where is Ulverston near?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,702,808 times
I like the Westchase area, if it wasn't so far from the 'inlaws I would move out that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: