U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,164 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is interviewing for a job in St Petersburg. We won't know for a few weeks whether or not he'll be offered the job, but in the meantime we're looking into the Tampa / St. Pete area.

I would love advice about good neighborhoods-- husband's job would be in northern St Pete. I'm a city gal at heart, so I'd like a place that has fun shops, restaurants, galleries, things to do. Ideally, I'd like to find a walkable neighborhood where I could get groceries, go to the park and the library on foot-- we have a toddler, so family-oriented neighborhoods are best. Is it possible to rent houses for 1500 or less a month? Or would we be in an apartment in that price range?

I'd also love to hear what you like best and hate the most about the Tampa Bay area. I've never even visited Florida-- so tell me what YOU think!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 04:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,491,791 times
I have been here nine months and love St. Petersburg, the City is cultural and the Beaches are beautiful. It is clean and has a lot of neat restaurants etc. It is much better then Tampa. Tampa is filled with a lot of rednecks and the neighborhoods have no sidewalks or nice parks.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,768,094 times
Here is my take on Tampa after being here twenty years:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...t-city-me.html

Some nice walkable neighborhoods describing what the OP speaks of include Old Northeast St. Pete, Safety Harbour, Dunedin over in Pinellas County; and Hyde Park, Davis Islands, Palma Ceia, Bayshore Beautiful/Gardens in Tampa(south tampa area).

Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,235,571 times
Get close to downtown St. Petersburg - Euclid St. Paul, Crescent Lake, Crescent Heights, Kenwood ... Old Northeast is pricey but gorgeous. I think you can probably get a house at that price. If you can stay in St. Petersburg all the better for your husband's commute (no bridge traffic).

Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,643,507 times
Check out SoHo and/or Westshore. . . although I doubt you will be able to find a house/condo/townhouse for $1500/less - although possible with the way the market is, if you find a private landlord which will raise your chances.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:50 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,888,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsy woman View Post
It is much better then Tampa. Tampa is filled with a lot of rednecks and the neighborhoods have no sidewalks or nice parks.
Please.. Tampa has a lot of nice neighborhoods and many of them do have sidewalks and very nice parks in their subdivision.

Tampa is not filled with rednecks and that is disingenuous statement. In the 30 years I lived in Tampa I never met anyone I would call a redneck.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've been reading/hearing good things about Clearwater and Dunedin. What kind of commute would that be from either city to Northeastern St Pete? Are those communities cheaper than neighborhoods in St. Pete?

I've also read that St. Pete has a nice farmer's market. Can someone share info on organic food availability? (I.e. is there a Whole Foods in the city?)

Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Mary, do ask tb321 - he can hunt down anything you need to know about anything and everything through his trusty Google Street View. He's a Demi-God.

No. Kidding. Don't.

Good question. I will help you seek it out. Will be back in a zap. . .

Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 PM

Rollin Oats
Rollin' Oats, St. Petersburg, FL

Richards Whole Foods
Living Naturally

Whole Foods
Whole Foods' purchase of Wild Oats sours again - St. Petersburg Times

Tampa (AKA: Whole Foods)
Wild Oats Natural Marketplace
1548 North Dale Mabry Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
Phone: 813.874.9435

Hope that helps.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Rollin Oats
Rollin' Oats, St. Petersburg, FL

Richards Whole Foods
Living Naturally

Whole Foods
Whole Foods' purchase of Wild Oats sours again - St. Petersburg Times

Tampa (AKA: Whole Foods)
Wild Oats Natural Marketplace
1548 North Dale Mabry Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
Phone: 813.874.9435

Hope that helps.
Thank you! Sounds like there's a fair amount of choice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this job will work out for my husband, I think we would like the Tampa Bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay