Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times

Advertisements

If you lived here 35 yrs. ago, you would see that the area has gotten worse,
there used to be green area, lakes with boats on them, 4 schools, 2 high schools.......people actually said Hi and were polite and respectful. Small mom and pop stores, no Walmarts, 50 was just lovely with Brookridge and the hospital. No traffic, you could stand out on SHD at 9 PM and not see a car
for hours, the streets were pulled in by 9.

My negativity is because the area grew rapidly, more families came this community was suppose to be a retirement community, but with the rapid increases in the North, everyone said lets go to Fl. they came and wanted the same amenities that they had up North..........and now they got it, 50 looks like Tampa with all the stores and congestion.

Luckily my last child just graduated........I still say the system stinks. I have seen kids that can't read, kids that fall through the cracks, and there parents were on top of everything, the system is not perfect, it needs changes and adding more state tests isn't the answer. I know a child that took the SAT
and scored a 23. Great test score right? There are hundreds of kids that once they fall behind, they are told get a GED, same as a diploma, shame of the educators of this county, they'd rather lose a kid than help them.

I don't mean to sound so negative.......but after many years fighting the system I"m tired of all the BS........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 01:30 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
I am curious why you would pick NPR. If you have family there or work there, I would move there. My 35yr old son lived there 14 yrs. He say its old people town, If you work there , its better to live there. But it is too many 2 lane road and no interstate, Hwy 19 is awful. I always hated the drive to NPR from Tampa area.
The rental pices of apts and homes have gone up due to the high insurance and taxes. Homeowners Insurance in Pasco , Hernando has increased the newspapers say because of sinkhole risk.

We live in New Port Richey and we NRVER take 19 if we want to go to Tampa we use the Sun Coast PKWY or if we want to go to clearwater we use McMullen Booth Road . The only time we take 19 is if we have to go to the so called mall.A lot of resturants have also just opened on 54.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:34 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I live in Port Richey...I should have sent you a picture of the drunk driver that fell asleep at the wheel last night after driving her car right up on my property....it was still in drive when we found her! This area has gone WAY down. I have lived here all my life (I'm 40) We are in the planning stage to leave here, schools are terrible, gangs are growing daily, traffic is a NIGHTMARE, and insurance and taxes are obscene! The Pasco Times section of the newspaper has a weekly crime report that takes up a full half page each week. (I read you want to rent, rent starts at about $900 a month for a small 1br 1ba and upwards to $1900 a month for 2br 2ba in an apartment complex) I have to run some errands today and will try and take a few pictures while I am out and about. Also the building in Pasco is crazy...there is "new" construction everywhere, no more county roads, trees and farmland here! SR 54 is now an eight lane highway and SR 52 is a 6 lane highway and is under construction to make it bigger! As for the "old people", yes there are still lots but they are the least of your worries here! That's just my opinion.

I agree!

Port rich is a dump, crime, drunks, traffic, gangs and drugs. You cant even give a house away on the water where i live, and insurance on the water for a bigger home is up to $18000, a year. I'm getting out and moving to Glades or Hendry county FL!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:28 PM

10 posts, read 32,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycomfortcorner View Post
Yes, I have family there...didn't mean to type NEW Port Richey...I'll be moving to Port Richey, which is, I think, only two miles or so away. I suppose there would be no big difference (correct me please if I'm wrong).

I'm 35, and my son is 8. My brother tells me that there are good schools there. I don't mind living in a community where there are "old people." I'd say it's probably better than living in the ghetto on the west side of Chicago, and Indianapolis, not unless of course those "old people" are selling and using crack, staying up all night distrubing the peace with their drug parties, and breaking into my house once every other month.

I'm not sure about that, I work for the scool system. Florida is ranked 49 out of 50 states in education. It's hot as hell,and yes there is crime here. Alot of transient people, drug houses, gangs, murders, robberies, road rage and blue collar white trash, unmotivated people, that are in a rut and aren't educated enough to get it. It use to be nice here. Not anymore. Alot of ghetto people from NYC, Chicago, Philly, Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Take it from a middle school teacher that see's the social fabric of this community. You'd be better off in Asheville NC, thats where I'm going. It's alot like California here except the people aren't as educated. This place is a haven for crime and all the people that get in trouble in other states come here. I hope you like snakes , alligators, sharks, spiders and rude people with guns. Good luck! from a local teacher.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,036 times
Smile links to New Port Richey, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycomfortcorner View Post
I'll be moving to New Port Richey this summer. Any one here have pictures of the area or can give me your opinion of the city?

Thanks!

I live in new port richey now and I don't care for it at all. It also depends on your age. Nothing to do for young kids. You can check out this link.
Good Luck

The City of New Port Richey -- Welcome to Our City Website

Old 09-19-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,091 times
Smile Port Richey

Like in All areas there are good and bad. As you can see from a lot of the previous posts. Good: Nice climate, Decent roads, I have seen worse crime areas, Beautiful Palm Trees, Local Professional sports like MLB Baseball, NHL Ice Hockey, and NFL Football. I personally just recently moved away from Port Richey, due to not being able to make things work, but I still really like Florida and the NPR / PR area is Not Horrible. I would actually like to move back to Florida some day. Before I moved there i asked a older gentleman who lived in Port Richey for a long time where he thought I should move to and he said in this order: Trinity, Spring Hill then New Port Richey. One thing...make sure you go there with something solid in hand (I.E a Good Job)! I currently reside on Long Island and even though they say crime is like zero here in Suffolk and Nassau, there is Crime if you know where to find it and avoid it! The cost of living in Port Richey is a lot better than a lot of other places, but if you want better cost of living try North Carolina, Especially the CARY Area!!! Anywho I wish you all the Best.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,023 times
Dawn,
Can you tell me if there are any storage buildings or mini storage that I can rent to store a 12 ft. utility trailer for the month of Oct. I want something that I can lock.
Thanks in advance for any help.
bjames45

Old 01-22-2008, 02:56 PM

18 posts, read 114,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I'm not sure about that, I work for the scool system. Florida is ranked 49 out of 50 states in education. It's hot as hell,and yes there is crime here. Alot of transient people, drug houses, gangs, murders, robberies, road rage and blue collar white trash, unmotivated people, that are in a rut and aren't educated enough to get it. It use to be nice here. Not anymore. Alot of ghetto people from NYC, Chicago, Philly, Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. Take it from a middle school teacher that see's the social fabric of this community. You'd be better off in Asheville NC, thats where I'm going. It's alot like California here except the people aren't as educated. This place is a haven for crime and all the people that get in trouble in other states come here. I hope you like snakes , alligators, sharks, spiders and rude people with guns. Good luck! from a local teacher.
I have to say that for a middle school teacher, your spelling is poor as is your grammar. See's does NOT have an apostrophe in it. I hope you are not an English teacher!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,473 times
I've lived in Indy and NPR. If it's between the 2 it's a no brainer.
We lived in NPR in '95. It's different now. We were there twice this year.
It's lost it's "ruralness" and has got caught up in the "busyness" of what was 20 miles south.
To bad.
We'll be moving back to Fl. soon and we're looking for that old NPR somewhere on the west coast.
Oh yeah, the job thing. You won't survive on 40 a year let alone 25. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I live in Port Richey...I should have sent you a picture of the drunk driver that fell asleep at the wheel last night after driving her car right up on my property....it was still in drive when we found her! This area has gone WAY down. I have lived here all my life (I'm 40) We are in the planning stage to leave here, schools are terrible, gangs are growing daily, traffic is a NIGHTMARE, and insurance and taxes are obscene! The Pasco Times section of the newspaper has a weekly crime report that takes up a full half page each week. (I read you want to rent, rent starts at about $900 a month for a small 1br 1ba and upwards to $1900 a month for 2br 2ba in an apartment complex) I have to run some errands today and will try and take a few pictures while I am out and about. Also the building in Pasco is crazy...there is "new" construction everywhere, no more county roads, trees and farmland here! SR 54 is now an eight lane highway and SR 52 is a 6 lane highway and is under construction to make it bigger! As for the "old people", yes there are still lots but they are the least of your worries here! That's just my opinion.
I could not agree more and the gangs have taken over the neighborhoods and the schools and the parks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay