U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,254,498 times

Advertisements

I haven't been able to meet anyone anywhere else other than my job and their friends. But then again I am not out looking to meet people either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 PM

442 posts, read 1,387,337 times
This whole place is jokes! Especially for young people, I'm sorry you ended up here. I'm 21, born and raised, and it's driving my mind nuts to be sitting here any longer. What people say about many other young people here "spinning their wheels not going anywhere", the "tampa 'elite' party scene", and the "street racers" is absolutely true. People here either think they're hot ***** because they sport an Ed Hardy shirt and hang out at *****ty bars in Tampa or else they're not going anywhere, they're just dwelling. Seeing all of these posts reminds me why I need to get out of this area, again.

That being said, as with any place, it's not to say that there aren't quality people to be met. There are plenty of things to do and places to go. I will admit it is not as much of a party thrill as Orlando or South Florida, but there are pubs and clubs around. There are the beaches, small cafes, downtown st. petersburg, downtown dunedin, etc. I think a job working around the public is a good way to network, and going to school will definitely help you to meet people. Although living here my entire life, to me it seems that young people are very "cliquey" here so that may be difficult to breakthrough. Also, as another poster mentioned, try volunteering around town.
Good luck, message me if you need any local insight!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM

10 posts, read 71,052 times
Unfortunately it is pretty hard for anyone to meet nice, respectable young people in this area these days. If youre not into drinking or clubing or cars or drugs, youre going to have a hard time finding "intelligent" people.
I totally feel your pain. I am originally from Europe too and it is very hard to get used to the crap qualaty people around here. (I respectfully apologize for the handful few who is not into trouble making. You know who you are and I wasnt talking about you!)
I got used to it tho. The friends I've got that are for sure I can count on one hand. Thats enough for me. I remember about a year ago after I got out of school, I got pretty lonley. So I went looking for people to hang out with in a few local bars. Bad idea! All the people who started talking to me were amazingly retarded drunkards, people asking if I wanna buy pot, or am I looking for a "good time."

Dont be fooled! Clubs are no different! Sure there are alot more young people there but most of todays young kids are into drugs and trouble making anyway. I can only tell you one thing. The only club Ive EVER FELT SAFE in was THE CASTLE in Ybor city. Sure its a bit of a drive but I think its really worth it! Yeah, very rarely but you may hear of incidents about a couple of people trying to sell drugs in there but they quickly disappear bc everyone starts talking about it. (Its a club these things happen in EVERY club no matter where youre at!) Most everybody is out to keep that place as safe and enjoyable as possible. Thrash drug pushers are not welcome at all in there!!! Word gets quickly to the security guys ears and those trashy a-holes are arrested in a flash. My experience is great when I am there. Everyone looks out for the other, and the troublemakers are thrown out really fast.
Ok what kind of club is it you might be thinking now? Its a gothic-industrial club. You will see some people with alot of makeup and wild clothing. That place is awesome tho! I my opinion its the safest club around!
If you do have at least ONE friend in the area already, try to go there. You just might bump into people from Pinellas County! I rem Ive seen an old classmate of mine from when I was going to school in Clearwater!

Last edited by Carbon_Five; 12-01-2008 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Edited for better understandable expression of ideas.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM

13 posts, read 43,101 times
I had the same problem and two things that have worked for me are Tampa Bay Club Sport (intramurals for adults) and Hands on Tampa Bay (volunteering).

Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM

13 posts, read 64,967 times
you have to be INTERESTED in something for someone to find you INTERESTING. As someone said before, get a hobby, and then find ways to meet people who share a common interest. Don't be afraid to speak up and start conversations.

If all you are INTERESTED in is hanging out in bars and clubs, then the only people you meet will be people who hang out in bars and clubs. Thats not rocket science.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 420 times
Default Looking for Gothic or Rock club/bar

Trying to find a place to hang out listen to rock, punk. Like to see gothic/emo/ punk rock hang outs

Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 PM

43 posts, read 76,927 times
This is why my wife and I moved from Tampa to Austin 5 years ago. Best thing we ever done. I lived in FL for a long time and I just had enough of the same low-life crap that has become of tampa....drug addicts galour, rude people, and the thugs and annoying street racers and cyclists. Then you have the "elites" who think they are better than anyone else. I will admit, the beaches are nice in FL, but hands down so happy I moved to Austin metro.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:41 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,385,365 times
You can meet nice people through meetup.com, church, volunteer work, and at work. It takes awhile to find quality people, but once you do they have your back. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or