Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2006, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 78,276 times

Advertisements

How is Temple Terrace? We are planning to move to Tampa within a year or so and need info on housing, taxes, crime in the area, etc. We don't have children at the time so good schools are not in the agenda yet. We are from New Jersey and I have family that lives in the Seminole Heights section of Tampa. Let me know.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 03:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
Default Old parts..

Both are part of the older section of Tampa. It was cut in-half when I-275 was built. There has been a revival of the area. We considered finding an older home and renovating it. The prices were too high and the homes were either in bad shape or in high crime areas. The renovated homes that are nice tend to be small and expensive. It's not an area that people are flocking to now. Crime in both areas is high.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 PM

83 posts, read 346,350 times
I live in Seminole Heights and I'm fairly familiar with Temple Terrace. Although both are older Tampa communities, Temple Terrace definitely has a newer vibe to it. There is more access to chain stores, restaurants, etc. in that area and although the neighborhoods are older, they don't have a "historic" vibe to them for the most part.

Seminole Heights has more emphasis on the historic 1920's style bungalow homes. Unfortunately I find that the area is very neglected by the city and development in general. You won't find a Walmart right down the street and the stores that are nearby are typically in somewhat sketchy rundown areas that could use renovation at the very least. If it sounds like I'm steering you away from this area I'm not. It just all depends on what you want. Seminole Heights is a bit peculiar in the way that you can go down one street and feel perfectly safe but go down the next and feel like you are in the ghetto. The areas are very hit or miss. I will say this though. Another poster was talking about high crime and I beg to differ. My family has lived in this area for around three years now in several neighborhoods and they are quiet as a mouse. I take my child to the park, go for strolls, and chat with the neighbors from time to time with no problems.

So Temple Terrace, more upkeep, newer stores with convenient locations but less of the quaint historic character....Seminole Heights, more historic homes with brick streets but outerlying areas need work, stores, and so forth. Remember it is pretty quick to get anywhere (to a Walmart, Best Buy, or whatnot) by hopping on the nearby interstate though.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
Tampagov.net site is a good place to get loads of info about both neighborhoods. I've been here for 8 years and did a lot of reading, visiting, traveling and have daughters living here for years. You be the judge of the areas before moving into any neighborhood. I've seen most of them.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM

11 posts, read 44,421 times
I just moved from Seminole Heights. I lived there for 3 years. It is very convenient to pretty much everywhere. I love older homes, so that was my draw. Seminole Heights was actually neighborhood of the year in 2004 for its community impact and revitalization. I never had any problems with crime, but be careful of homes adverting that they are in "temple terrace or Seminole Heights" as many of the properties are in less desirable surrounding areas. Both areas have major revitalization plans in progress (Temple Terraces downtown renovation project began today check the citys website for more info) and Seminole Heights will be bordering the new $200 million riverwalk renovation to build upscale dining and shopping along the Hillsborough River. Both areas should see great appreciation with these projects. All of my neighbors in Seminole Heights were trendy upper middle class couples that renovated their bungalows. Taxes are high in Hillsborough County in general. I would say take your time and find the right house in either area. If you want to look at Seminole Heights, I may know an elderly man selling a 3/2 2 story key west style house (he is just too old to navigate stairs anymore). Let me know if I can help.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 13,498 times
Thumbs up 20 years in tampa

20 years in tampa. Would choose Seminole Heights over Temple Terrace (separate city from Tampa). Seminole Heights is convienient to downtown, the universities, the airport. It is a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. The commercial areas suck but go back into the neighborhood and it is great. Maybe a bit biased. (I have been a realtor for about the last 2 years).
Rick in seminole heights

Old 07-12-2009, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 9,561 times
Looking to buy on Mcberry(33603) and want to know of any recent crimes in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay