U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,192,853 times

Advertisements

There is a one time fee when a car is titled in Florida from out of state. You can check the DMV site, but I believe it is $225.

There are a few ways to exempt this, which the DMV describes on their web site. Otherwise, you are going to pay it. After your first year, registration fees for automobiles are around $60.

Plates are lifetime, so once you get them, they are yours.

For those who are already Florida residents that might buy a car out of state: if you had a plate on a vehicle you sold or got rid of, it stays in the system and can be used for your "new" car. This will avoid your having to pay the $225 fee on the "new" vehicle.

And believe it or not, if you sell a vehicle and don't use the plate on a replacement vehicle, or if you move out of state, Florida requires you to surrender the plate to the DMV. If you don't they will keep the registration open in their records. This can be troublesome, as when your insurance for the vehicle expires, they can suspend your drivers license. Don't ask me how I know....

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM

173 posts, read 390,703 times
What happens if I purchase a car from a private seller? Does he leave the plate on the car? Or do I drive the car without a plate until I get it registered?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 AM

219 posts, read 611,742 times
Default License plates

The plates come off and you bring the title to the dmv and register it in your name and get new plates,make sure you have the vehicle insured before you go there,If you buy the vehicle (used) from out of state you will need to bring it to the dmv for a inspection of the vin number and mileage.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,120,035 times
Quote:
Florida requires you to surrender the plate to the DMV. If you don't they will keep the registration open in their records. This can be troublesome, as when your insurance for the vehicle expires, they can suspend your drivers license. Don't ask me how I know....
So before moving out of Florida you have to go to DMV and surrender your plate? This makes no sense. Especially considering that when you get your first FL license plate it is yours forever!

What about the Military ppl? these ppl move all the time...can you imagine what kind of hassle would it be to keep buying license plates? OMG!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,888,248 times
Yeah.. I am sure that everyone moving to another state is going to turn in their plate and drive to their new state without a plate. Military and snowbirds don't have to buy a plate if they are here for only a certain period of time

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Yeah, that makes zero sense. When we registered in PA nobody asked us to "surrender" anything either! All they wanted was proof of insurance and the IDs which we switched over first. The only thing that got a hole was the FL driver license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Yeah.. I am sure that everyone moving to another state is going to turn in their plate and drive to their new state without a plate. Military and snowbirds don't have to buy a plate if they are here for only a certain period of time

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

46 posts, read 79,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Do you know how long that "period" of time is for the military? I have 6 vehicles (all beaters, that I can't bear to part with) and the idea of paying $225 per vehicle when I am only here for 2 years is unfortunate.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,945 posts, read 4,192,853 times
Here is the reference to canceling your plate. Whether it makes sense to you or not, it's the law.

Note that if you don't cancel the plate your records could reflect a suspended driver's license. That is what I was referring to. You don't have to do it immediately - if you move to another state it needs to be done before you cancel the insurance on the vehicle, as Florida will be notified by the insurance company.

RM

Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 AM

Ok, well this may apply to those who WANT to cancel their plate. Or those who move out of state permanently.

We had no intention of cancelling our plates at any time. I have the specialty plates too. Plus when I called the Tax Collector I gave the rep our license plate numbers and she told me that it costs $334($167 for each car for title transfer, and registration) to re-register both cars back with our existing license plates (bring the ID and car insurance and the cars to do a VIN verification)!

This is what it says when you go to gorenew.gov:
(it used to show my old license plate listed as unassigned)

"A license plate that is not currently assigned to a vehicle may be transferred to a vehicle that you buy in the future. It may save you the $225 Initial Fee.
The above registration fee includes a mail fee ($0.70 for registration certificate/decal or $2.15 for a license plate), which may not be reflected on your renewal notice."

You realize THIS is cancelling out the "surrendering":
"A license plate that is not currently assigned to a vehicle may be transferred to a vehicle that you buy in the future. It may save you the $225 Initial Fee."
Because it implies you already HAVE a license plate somehow.

Not to mention...where is this information advertised for the general population? I am asking because "I" never had to personally register my cars before; the dealership registered them for me, and we never had to re-register them again since. So, how is someone going to know this? who is supposed to offer this information? because I'm thinking if someone moves out of state (any state) the license plate is probably the last thing on their mind. AND what if someone wants to keep it as a souvenir? I can tell you right now, the day I am going to stop driving I am going to hang this license plate on my wall; or if I buy a new car and want a new license plate like one of the ones with Oceans, Nemo, the Education one etc I am not surrendering mine still, because it was my first license plate and as sappy as that sounds, this plate is not going back to DMV for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Here is the reference to canceling your plate. Whether it makes sense to you or not, it's the law.

Note that if you don't cancel the plate your records could reflect a suspended driver's license. That is what I was referring to. You don't have to do it immediately - if you move to another state it needs to be done before you cancel the insurance on the vehicle, as Florida will be notified by the insurance company.

RM

Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,549,772 times
Can I jump in here with a question? Didn't see it anywhere, but I may have missed it. Having lived in CT my whole life, what happens when you move to another state and register your car there? Would they take my CT plates, or do they just issue me FL plates and it's my responsibility to get the CT plates back to CT DMV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or