U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 PM

28 posts, read 77,156 times

Advertisements

Hello My DH, DD and I are considering a move to tampa from ohio. My husband is in the construction business and is terrified the summers will be brutal, but wondering if it's worth the trade of the snow filled winters in ohio? Is the cost of living high? Is Tampa a good, fun, safe place to raise a family? Any other info suggestions anybody has would be appreciated! TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 04:09 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,255,803 times
I would say Riverview (a 'burb) is a more family friendly area. Living costs (for housing) aren't as high as they were a couple of years ago. Rents as well as house prices are way lower.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,477,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haileigh32 View Post
Hello My DH, DD and I are considering a move to tampa from ohio. My husband is in the construction business and is terrified the summers will be brutal, but wondering if it's worth the trade of the snow filled winters in ohio? Is the cost of living high? Is Tampa a good, fun, safe place to raise a family? Any other info suggestions anybody has would be appreciated! TY

Depends, for me I hate cold winters but some people like snow and cold, I will tell you it is not easy at all working in the heat, it`s relentless from May-October.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:51 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,527,288 times
secure stable jobs before you move here as the job market is almost non existant in the tampa bay area....if u have good jobs in ohio and life is OK i would not even consider moving here for a few sunny days in the winter

Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM

28 posts, read 77,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
secure stable jobs before you move here as the job market is almost non existant in the tampa bay area....if u have good jobs in ohio and life is OK i would not even consider moving here for a few sunny days in the winter
My husband is in the union and is guranteed a job and only about 1/3 of the jobs he would have would be outside. It has been my life long dream to move to florida I love the beach and sunny weather in the winter I go into a depression I hate it but I don't want my dream to make my DH miserable and hate a job that he now loves. Our only concern really is the extreme heat and moving completely away from any family. So we want to make sure we move to a family friendly area.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,527,288 times
family friendly areas might include places like fishhawk ranch in lithia, valrico, citrus park, westchase, new tampa, parts of carollwood and parts of south tampa....all those are in hillsborough county...talk to other families as many families have made that move with all sorts of results and opinions...good luck

Old 09-23-2008, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 83,629 times
It is HOT outside here in the Summer and its hot outside here from March thru December. Florida is a right to work state so unions are not important like they are in other states but if it gets him a job thats good. If hes worried about the heat why doesnt he come down and work a couple of weeks or even a week. It rains a lot here also. If he is outside is he hourly? It can sure interfere with a paycheck. You would love FL but it will be brutal for your hubby. Thought of North Carolina? Nice beaches there but cooler and less humidity and bugs arghhhh.
Nit

Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 PM

52 posts, read 112,543 times
Construction is slow here.As far as the heat if you use common sense,take a break when you need it,drink PLENTY of fluids you sort of get used to it.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:59 AM

151 posts, read 723,107 times
Construction industry is very, very slow here, so make sure that his guaranteed job is exactly that. As far as summer heat, it is not "extreme"....it is very much like your hot days during an Ohio summer (low 90's), but the difference is there are MANY of them strung together for months at a time.....so living down here is rather like a marathon, instead of a sprint!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM

69 posts, read 185,755 times
Florida is nice but be absolutely sure you have a job lined up b/c the jobs are tight there. I moved from florida to ohio and while I like fl very much I am really enjoying ohio. The heat in fl is pretty much like ohio except you get to enjoy it (or not) longer. Tampa is a cool city but everything is so spread out, it's pretty friendly, and nice beaches but its a drive to get to the decent ones. Take a visit and stay a week if you can and check it out. I think you will like it at least for a little while but remember you can always go back home! I've been Ohio since the beginning of the year and I consider Ohio my home now I like the 4 seasons. I lived in new tampa and it was ok but very plain you may want to check out other areas for a little more excitement. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or