Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Teen killing in Pasco sparks renewed curfew debate

This is a difficult subject and we have seen many teenagers who are never looked after by their parents who are out after midnight and not up to any good and most of the time they are vandalizing our common areas. In my opinion if the teenagers aren't watched by their parents and won't listen to the police or any other adult, maybe the parent should be held responsible first or together with their kids for what their kids are doing at most of the times the kids aren't just out talking after midnight....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM

96 posts, read 736,544 times
I was in the Bahamas last April. While watching a local television program, I was surprised to learn that there is a law there that states that parents can be held responsible for the crimes committed by their children!

I'm sure that such a law would never fly Constitutionally here in the States.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
I was in the Bahamas last April. While watching a local television program, I was surprised to learn that there is a law there that states that parents can be held responsible for the crimes committed by their children!

I'm sure that such a law would never fly Constitutionally here in the States.
Well at least the kids could be removed from the home if the parents neglect them and as in the article is described a teenager 15 years old dragging stolen stuff doesn't sound to me that the parents know what their kid is doing or are responsible parents....the bad thing is it will cost society a lot of money to pay for these kids, but maybe the cost can be get back from the parents...the minute it will cost them money they might change their behavior

Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Well at least the kids could be removed from the home if the parents neglect them and as in the article is described a teenager 15 years old dragging stolen stuff doesn't sound to me that the parents know what their kid is doing or are responsible parents....the bad thing is it will cost society a lot of money to pay for these kids, but maybe the cost can be get back from the parents...the minute it will cost them money they might change their behavior
That sort of intent at "behavioral modification" aimed directly at the parents because of their children's behavior was exactly what the Bahamian law seemed to be hoping to accomplish.

That may just be a moot point as far as that applies to the United States, because as far as I know, we don't have such a law. But, it seemed to work well there: I saw virtually no teenagers on the streets there after sundown (but then again, I was staying on one of the lesser-inhabited "out islands" and not in a heavily-populated city, such as Nassau).

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 06-16-2009 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Sailor Curt, what are you talking about?

Parents in the US are most certainly responsible for their children' s behavior. If your 16yr old drives reckless and kills someone the parents are liable.

This incident in Pasco County according to reports occured at a house that frequently held underage drinking parties.

What kind of parents allow HS kids to stay out til all hours of the night? This shooting occured after 2am.

The problem is too many parents in this country no longer parent, they want to be friends with their kids, rather than parent.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:55 AM

That is so true...be a friend of you kid and you are cool...drink, smoke and party with them and you have cool parents....

You can be a cool parent and get way more respect if you are a parent who guide to do the right things and give the good examples your self!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sailor Curt, what are you talking about?

Parents in the US are most certainly responsible for their children' s behavior. If your 16yr old drives reckless and kills someone the parents are liable.

This incident in Pasco County according to reports occured at a house that frequently held underage drinking parties.

What kind of parents allow HS kids to stay out til all hours of the night? This shooting occured after 2am.

The problem is too many parents in this country no longer parent, they want to be friends with their kids, rather than parent.
I'm was referring to a law in the Bahamas that I heard about that says that if a child gets into trouble for anything, be it theft, or fighting, or vandalism - whatever, that the parents can also be charged with the exact same crime that their children committed.

I was merely observing that, as far as I know, we don't have any law on the books that reads like that here. Perhaps I should have made that clearer in my original post.

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 06-17-2009 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Added clarification

Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Well the parents are liable for their children's actions in this country.

Like I said your 16 yr old drives reckless and kills someone the parents are liable and will be sued.

And judging from the comments on TBO about this story there are a lot of clueless parents in Pasco County. Many seem to see nothing wrong with underage kids being out at 2am.

Some even suggested that it was ashame the boy who got shot didn't have a weapon as well. But that is a very redneck area anyway, so you're not dealing with educated people.

Nobody seems to get that this whole situation could have been avoided. And what kind of people host drinking parties at their home for 40 teenagers? Talk about being liable.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well the parents are liable for their children's actions in this country.

Like I said your 16 yr old drives reckless and kills someone the parents are liable and will be sued.

And judging from the comments on TBO about this story there are a lot of clueless parents in Pasco County. Many seem to see nothing wrong with underage kids being out at 2am.

Some even suggested that it was ashame the boy who got shot didn't have a weapon as well. But that is a very redneck area anyway, so you're not dealing with educated people.

Nobody seems to get that this whole situation could have been avoided. And what kind of people host drinking parties at their home for 40 teenagers? Talk about being liable.
Some parents only get it when the police picks them up...than they start whining like babies, but although they have to pay for their kids, I'm not sure if the parents get a felony....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay