U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM

34 posts, read 154,686 times

Advertisements

hello all-
I am very seriously considering a job in St. Pete. I've read on here that SoHo and South Tampa are the best areas for young white collar professionals. Is that the case? What about downtown St. Pete? Where else do a lot of dink's (dual income no kids) live?

I am ideally looking for an area where alot of 20 and 30somethings live. Walkability is important to me. Meaning I would like to be able to walk to a downtown-like area, where there are shops, restaurants, bookstores and bars. I do not drink and drive, so being within walking distance (or taxi distance) is very important. Being near a beach would be nice also, and since I'll be working in St Pete, I'd like to be within a 30 min drive of that area.

Any and all ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 11:24 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,775,629 times
For what you are looking for, your either looking at Hyde Park in Tampa or Downtown St. Pete area. Downtown St. Pete will give you more...closer to work, closer to Gulf beaches.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:15 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,655,042 times
What's are you able to afford monthly?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,925 times
"..I am ideally looking for an area where alot of 20 and 30somethings live. Walkability is important to me. Meaning I would like to be able to walk to a downtown-like area, where there are shops, restaurants, bookstores and bars. I do not drink and drive, so being within walking distance (or taxi distance) is very important. Being near a beach would be nice also, and since I'll be working in St Pete, I'd like to be within a 30 min drive of that area."

Having gown up in St Pete when it was like a nursing home I am happy to say that a lot has changed! Old Northeast is great and so is downtown. There are a lot of museums, restaurants, shops and even a movie theatre there now. And it's easy to walk and even has a pretty decent bus system. The beaches can be a fun place to live, too. But you need to be very laid back to really enjoy it. Mostly on the beaches you'd be walking to ... the beach (of course) and local bars and restaurants. Stuff tourists like. It's also more expensive than the mainland.

Tampa, where I live, also has a lot to like. SoHo, as you mentioned, has a lot of newer townhomes and condos with lots of shops, restaurants and clubs. And Hyde Park and Palma Ceia are good for single family homes if that's what you need. Again, walking or very short cab ride to a lot of interesting activities. Tampa will generally be a little less expensive - property taxes are lower than Pinellas county (where St Petersburg is) and housing is generally less costly for a compartive home. Commuting to St Pete to work would be pretty easy using ether I275 or Gandy. You'd be traveling the opposite way from most commuters, who work in Tampa and live in Pinellas county.

Hope this helps and Welcome to Florida

Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 AM

34 posts, read 154,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
What's are you able to afford monthly?
Probably around $1000. I'm single and no kids, so I'll probably be looking at a 1 or 2 bedroom for awhile until I figure out where I would actually settle down. A pool will be a must as well, but from what I understand that is a pretty regular feature of places down there.

Thanks to everybody for the comments so far. I greatly appreciate it. The traffic flow comment is also especially helpful as out of towners obviously don't know the traffic patterns, yet that can have a major effect on commute time and where one lives.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,655,042 times
With the way the market is now, you'll have no problem at all finding a good place in a good area for 1K. Best of luck to you and success in your upcoming move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or