Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
Interesting info, thanks.

What type of work is available in Westshore?
Just name it and there is a business in westshore, Hospitality, Finance, Accounting, Law, Medical, Health Care, IT, Architecture, Insurance...over 4000 businesses in the Westshore district.
I have met quite a few people living here in 20 years, and and lots of aquintances, graduated from USF and an active alumni member, and have to say I know of not one person personally that works in a call center(not that there is anything wrong with that), but in all lines of business....different industries.
I'm not saying its Utopia here in Tampa, but its certainly not al call centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
If you are in IT your best is Tampa over other parts of the state, however getting a job will not be easy unless you have a specific skill that is in high demand. There are jobs but there are also a lot of ppl looking for permanent employment. Most employers will hire someone with the same qualifications who live in area. Trying to get a job from out of town is never easy.

If you are serious about Tampa, I would get a cell phone with a Tampa no. and if you have friends in the area use their address on your resume.

Right now is not the time to move to any city without a job unless you can live 6 mos or longer without one.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I'm not saying its Utopia here in Tampa
Really? It kinda sounded like u were all along. Its all good, u seem to love Tampa to no end, which is cool and a very positive outlook i can appreciate. I dont mind living here and have a great life but I just like to point out the big picture that I see so many people encounter in Tampa, especially young people moving here from other places. When i lived in NYC, Southern Cali and Northern Virginia it was a very different picture as I witnessed young educated people flocking to town and flourishing in careers. Listen, u can move here and find success, people do, Im just saying as a neutral/observant/informed person I would not recommend Tampa as a place for educated people that depend on the traditional corporate job market. I will also say that if u can make it work here u can live a nice life and many do....like my favorite optimist tampaguy

Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Just name it and there is a business in westshore, Hospitality, Finance, Accounting, Law, Medical, Health Care, IT, Architecture, Insurance...over 4000 businesses in the Westshore district.
I have met quite a few people living here in 20 years, and and lots of aquintances, graduated from USF and an active alumni member, and have to say I know of not one person personally that works in a call center(not that there is anything wrong with that), but in all lines of business....different industries.
I'm not saying its Utopia here in Tampa, but its certainly not al call centers.
I wish I lived in your Florida. Because every college graduate I know is working in a call center making between $25,000-$35,000 a year.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
Tampa Bay hurting in job opportunities - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/10/10/390514.html - broken link)

tampa/st. pete is currently 89th out of 100(with 100 being the worst job market) and bradenton/sarasota is 99th per the tampa bay business journals recent study....job markets are bad everywhere but much worse here and this sadly proves how unsustainable our service based economy is...lets hope for some intelligent innovation and planning which can bounce this area in the right direction

Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
Tampa Bay hurting in job opportunities - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/10/10/390514.html - broken link)

tampa/st. pete is currently 89th out of 100(with 100 being the worst job market) and bradenton/sarasota is 99th per the tampa bay business journals recent study....job markets are bad everywhere but much worse here and this sadly proves how unsustainable our service based economy is...lets hope for some intelligent innovation and planning which can bounce this area in the right direction
Interesting.... Orlando did pretty well on that ranking at #13!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 PM

149 posts, read 467,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post

Thanks for posting. It really looks like the past year was the killer for Tampa in these rankings.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Interesting.... Orlando did pretty well on that ranking at #13!
That is because all the low wage service jobs the city has, not because it has decent job opportunities.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
It's funny(scary) the more I read about the Tampa job market. I know our economy is crap overall and jobs are hard to find anywhere, but to hear young professionals running from the area is a bit disturbing. Where are they running to....everyplace sucks.
The job markets in states other then New York, Florida, California, and Arizona are fine.

Texas and Tennessee I know have good job markets, We live in Tennessee and my wife was offered a job in Connecticut. She didn't take it but it was funny because the man said they couldn't find workers.

Most people that are bailing on Florida are headed to Atlanta, Tennessee, Texas, North Carolina, ect, ect.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:36 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
The job markets in states other then New York, Florida, California, and Arizona are fine.

Texas and Tennessee I know have good job markets, We live in Tennessee and my wife was offered a job in Connecticut. She didn't take it but it was funny because the man said they couldn't find workers.

Most people that are bailing on Florida are headed to Atlanta, Tennessee, Texas, North Carolina, ect, ect.
You're correct. There are states with very low unemployment rates. It's just hard to see when your own area is suffering.

As far as the list~it is the worst 100 cities for jobs which means that none of them are doing too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay