U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 38,316 times

Advertisements

judge not lest ye be judged. you don't want sex offenders being homeless near you well then you shouldn't get knee jerk laws put in place that makes them homeless. you see how ridiculous your being?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:40 PM

180 posts, read 400,479 times
Many people (entire families included) these days are becoming homeless, due to circumstances beyond their control.

Job losses - with no hope for good working wages, home losses, combined with this horrid economy.
Maybe it's time for some real compassion. Walk a mile in their shoes... how would that feel?

Just saying.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM

17,804 posts, read 22,080,549 times
Most people in America are a few paychecks away from being homeless. It isn't anything to be really being joking about.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 PM

426 posts, read 1,124,238 times
As you drive a route daily, to work or whatnot, you start to notice the whole career panhandler subculture. I think they have little territories, probably based on how profitable an intersection is. I bet things get ugly when takes over another's corner.

I'd like to think everyone who is homeless is like Will Smith in the Pursuit of Happiness movie. I know some are, and I just hope our social programs are targeted enough so that our tax money is helping those particular ones get back on their feet. I have no desire to help the ones that I see on a street corner day after day after day after day just begging. In fact it really infuriates me some days when I had a really bad, long day at work and I see someone asking for money for doing absolutely nothing. Honestly, if I saw a homeless person every single day picking up litter along the off ramp, and keeping it clean, I'd give him something every week. You know, I've seen some *really* disadvantaged people in the workplace before, people with severe physical impediments. It just kills me to see someone with all their arms and legs, walking upright, doing nothing but holding a sign 365 days a year.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 53,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
As you drive a route daily, to work or whatnot, you start to notice the whole career panhandler subculture. I think they have little territories, probably based on how profitable an intersection is. I bet things get ugly when takes over another's corner.

So true, I used to drive on 66th (st Pete) every day and around tyrone mall area they work in shifts. Like a begging union. Also getting off the ramp at 54th ave they have an area set up behind the trees there. each doing their daily shift. I make light of these people because it just amazes me how many people ENABLE these people to do this for a living. I feel sorry for the homeless people when their situation is beyond their control but these panhandlers are scum.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:17 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,345,605 times
I don't know where the homeless spend their nights, but I see them wandering and hanging out in various places. Near fast food places, downtown, on benches on the avenues, etc. and these are not the panhandling people.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

428 posts, read 1,357,434 times
There's a good article about the panhandlers (NOT legitimate homeless) in yesterday's St. Pete Times. I'm glad the Times exposed these "poor luck" people for the charlatans and criminals they are. These are the same people who harrass eldery residents donwtown, **** all over people's doorsteps and businesses downtown, and are aggressive towards drivers.

Panhandlers are absoultely ruining the city and the police are hamstrung by a pathetic excuse for a police chief and laws that protect these criminals over business owners, the elderly, and motorists.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM

96 posts, read 678,188 times
Whether or not a person who is panhandling is legitimately homeless or just a drunk or druggie living off hardworking people is always going to present a true dilemma for people.

This article from TampaBay.com is pretty interesting as it tries to actually look inside the lives of the people that you see on the same street corners, day after day.

I truly want to help the homeless because I'd hate to find myself in that same position someday. But I'm more likely to give money directly to those charities that support the legitimately homeless. That seems to be a better idea than just trusting that the person who has their hand extended on the side of the road is really a person in need, or is just someone who is making a buck off of the working public.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 PM

428 posts, read 1,357,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
But I'm more likely to give money directly to those charities that support the legitimately homeless. .
That is really the best way to help. Or donate money and items to shelters like CASA.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 AM

216 posts, read 766,897 times
I see homeless folks all the time in the St Pete area when I'm driving. I see them at street corners usually holding up a sign declaring themselves homeless, hungry, etc.
This economy has changed the profile of homelessness. Many were laid off, lost their homes or apts., and haven't found work.

I often will pull out a dollar or two if they don't appear to me to look intoxicated - maybe they aren't going to buy drugs or drink and really do just need to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay