Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,587 times

Advertisements

I've been considering a move to FL with my future wife. I am going to have to find work down there, but she already has a job in Tampa. We are in our mid twenties and looking for help with choosing a comfortable, safe and vibrant city. Traffic does not bother either of us because we are used to it (she's from NJ and I'm from CT). Ybor City has been recommended to us, but lately I've been hearing from sources that it has high crime. Sarasota looks nice, but a bit far.

So, that being said, what about Palm Harbor? I would really appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:54 AM

anyone????

Old 08-10-2007, 12:25 PM

471 posts, read 1,660,787 times
I like Palm Harbor. The greatest advantage of this area is the easy proximity to the gulf, beaches, bike trails and parks. You may also consider Safety Harbor, it is a little less commute time than most of Palm Harbor. We have made the commute from downtown Tampa to Palm Harbor at 5pm Friday and it takes 55 minutes on average.
Both are safe, comfortable communities.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,756 times
Default hey there

Hello to you. I, too have been trying to gather information on Palm Harbor with some luck! We used to live in south Florida and had considered Palm Harbor about 3 years ago. WE really liked it there, but liked Tarpon Springs a bit better. Palm Harbor seemed very nice though, especially for younger people as it did not seem to have many retirees(compared to FT Myers at least). I have been to Ybor City and would not reccommend living around there, but it is fun to go to at night. I will keep watching your post as I too have questions. Good Luck. Oh the reason we did not move there, was we ended up in Baton Rouge, La, and love it here! Palm Harbor was our 2nd and we had a few other towns, but Baton Rouge beat them all out!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the help.

A few more questions. How far is Palm Harbor from the beach? Are the beaches clean and safe to relax after dark?

I only ask 'after dark' because we were visiting family in Venice last week and my fiancee and I relaxed on the beach until about 9pm after the sunset. We went back to our car and literally nearly got carjacked. A man asked us for a ride, we declined and said we would call him a cab, and he jumped on our hood in an attempt to stop us from driving away. He was clearly on drugs. We called police and he was promptly arrested.

I've always though of Venice as a safe community, but now I'm nervous. We are moving from a very safe town and would like to remain safe in FL. We plan on staying here for good.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM

84 posts, read 384,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
Thanks for the help.

A few more questions. How far is Palm Harbor from the beach? Are the beaches clean and safe to relax after dark?

I only ask 'after dark' because we were visiting family in Venice last week and my fiancee and I relaxed on the beach until about 9pm after the sunset. We went back to our car and literally nearly got carjacked. A man asked us for a ride, we declined and said we would call him a cab, and he jumped on our hood in an attempt to stop us from driving away. He was clearly on drugs. We called police and he was promptly arrested.

I've always though of Venice as a safe community, but now I'm nervous. We are moving from a very safe town and would like to remain safe in FL. We plan on staying here for good.
Hi Jeremey,

Beaches are safe around the Palm Harbor area, either Clearwater Beach which is about 10-15 minutes from downtown Palm Harbor or Honeymoon Island/Dunedin Causeway which is about 10 minutes away. You can boat or take a shuttle or kayak to a gorgeous beach, Caladesi Island, right in the area that won the Best Beach award this year. It takes a little work but it is worth it. Most beaches in this area close at dark because they are state parks but Clearwater's is open at night. They are doing massive construction down on Clearwater Beach right now so it is congested and not a very pretty drive but they should be finishing that up in the next century or two. They are tearing down all the old mom and pops motels and putting up a huge hotel/resort. It has some good restaurants and bars and has sugar sand so it is nice for a day or night out.

I wouldn't recommend living in Ybor, it is fun to visit but the crime rate is not good. Just visit and go home, when you go to your car be safe and try to park in a well lit area.....seriously Just be careful and try to stay somewhat sober and travel in groups if possible.

Any other questions, just ask and I will try to help in any way I can.....

Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 12,964 times
Default Palm Harbor

Just moved here 3 weeks ago from Cleveland, Ohio and I love it!
C'mon down!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Caa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravelife View Post
Just moved here 3 weeks ago from Cleveland, Ohio and I love it!
C'mon down!
Are you a family person with kids-if so, how is it there? How friendly are the people? WE are considering moving there from Louisiana and it is hard to beat the friendliness here!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:19 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,818 times
CAA- I ha been reading your posts and you seem very reluctant to move. Is it necessary for you to move? You apparently love Louisiana . I am from Texas (your neighbor!!) and the lifestyle here and Louisiana is different than in Florida. Texas is my home state and I will always love it here but I love Florida and I want to make it my home state eventually. I will likely move to the Dunedin,Palm harbor area because I have teenagers and don't want the slow suburban lifestyle anymore but you may like Land o lakes or Lutz or Wesley chapel as these are all beautiful areas that seem to cater to families with young children. My point is that you will not be able to turn Florida into Louisiana and if you try to you will be one of the unhappy FLorida transplants. You will have to look at the positives, the beautiful beaches, the quaint small towns, theme parks in every direction, glass bottom boats, the zoos, the Keys...and on and on and on...Do oyur homework on your local schools and keep asking questions, find the right town for you and your family and get excited! If Louisians is truly where you want to stay, then make it work or you won't be happy. Iam now a Real Estate Agent! Lord knows how much work it will be for me to get to Florida in a rock bottom market LOL! I will get there though, because that is where I want to be! Good luck to you!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Caa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
CAA- I ha been reading your posts and you seem very reluctant to move. Is it necessary for you to move? You apparently love Louisiana . I am from Texas (your neighbor!!) and the lifestyle here and Louisiana is different than in Florida. Texas is my home state and I will always love it here but I love Florida and I want to make it my home state eventually. I will likely move to the Dunedin,Palm harbor area because I have teenagers and don't want the slow suburban lifestyle anymore but you may like Land o lakes or Lutz or Wesley chapel as these are all beautiful areas that seem to cater to families with young children. My point is that you will not be able to turn Florida into Louisiana and if you try to you will be one of the unhappy FLorida transplants. You will have to look at the positives, the beautiful beaches, the quaint small towns, theme parks in every direction, glass bottom boats, the zoos, the Keys...and on and on and on...Do oyur homework on your local schools and keep asking questions, find the right town for you and your family and get excited! If Louisians is truly where you want to stay, then make it work or you won't be happy. Iam now a Real Estate Agent! Lord knows how much work it will be for me to get to Florida in a rock bottom market LOL! I will get there though, because that is where I want to be! Good luck to you!

Hello back to you. I am very reluctant to move! The only reason we would move back to Florida(we used to live in FT Myers-never again) is because a close family member has just been diagnosed with cancer and we almost feel obligated to move to be within 3 hours of my husband's mother and father(for family support). I have talked to my husband, and we do miss our families, but have so much here-great friends, daughter who loves her school, our own life ya know. I just get kida scared, should we move to please his family? I am just not sure, but are keeping options open. As you said, even if we decided to move, how long would it take to even sell out home we just bought 5 months ago!? Thanks for listening-you seem like a nice and caring person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay