U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 AM

36 posts, read 170,248 times

Advertisements

I just got a job at Macdill and I dont want to commute very far. Would a good god fearing familiy of 4 like living close to base or is it pretty run down like most bases ive lived close to. I think I may have to choose an apt or rental before I get there so I am open to ideas. It would just be a plus to save gas and time with a low commute.

Ive heard that New Tampa is where I would want to be. I was told its a half hour drive but google says an hour. Which is it. With and with out traffic?

Thanks for any input. Im terrified of making a bad decision for my family and placing them in harms way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,118,337 times
North of Gandy (NOG) and South of Gandy (SOG) are the 2 areas. If you don't want a long commute then I would look for a place there. SOG has a few run down areas that you would want to avoid, but there are some OK areas too. Most houses in both areas were built in the 50-70s. My xDIL and other family live SOG for years and have never had any problems. Most live right off of Dale Mabry or Himes on side streets SOG.

There is also Hyde Park and So Ho but you will normally pay more to live there.

Are you looking for a house or an apt?
What is your price range?
Schools?

New Tampa is nice but I find it hard to believe you can drive from NT to MacDill in 30 minutes during normal traffic let alone rush hour. Perhaps someone who makes that drive can tell you..

Last edited by Keeper; 10-13-2008 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 AM

36 posts, read 170,248 times
I am looking to rent for the first couple years and wait out the housing crisis. I would like to pay 900 or so but could go up to 1200 if I had to. I would rather a house but would do an apartment. Schools are not so important. My little girl is a couple years from going to school and I have one on the way.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM

43 posts, read 173,834 times
Don't live in New Tampa. That is a long commute, definitely longer than 30 minutes. If I were you, I would do a search for rental property in the 33611 and 33629 zip codes. The 33611 zip code is the area south of gandy but some of it is also north of Gandy. I would personally stay away from anything South of Gandy unless you are east of Macdill towards bayshore.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,797,014 times
You should be fine with what you are looking for in most areas South of Kennedy Blvd(South Tampa) in Tampa. New Tampa would be a horrible commute to the base. IM not sure of the apartment size your looking for, but you can find something real nice for less than 1200. AS far as a house for rent, you would most probably find something more in the 1200+...look in neighborhoods like Bayside West, Port Tampa City, Ballast Point, Sun Bay South, Virginia Park, Palma Ceia, Bel Mar Estates, Manahatten Manor.

http://www.tampagov.net/dept_Neighbo...Map_3_1_07.pdf

Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,118,337 times
Check on Craigslist.com. I saw a couple of houses for rent that are in your price range and in a nice area. If you are in doubt you can post the streets/cross streets and someone can tell you about the area.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,746,994 times
You may want to consider the lower part of Riverview, near Big Bend Road/Rt.301. We have many military families that live hear In South Fork, Panther Trace, South Pointe and others. I lived just north of New Tampa and everyone is correct concerning the travel time. Depending on time and days, it's even an hour and more.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,278,840 times
A lot of miliary families live in Brandon, Riverview, and Valrico. You are about 30 mins. or less from base (depending on traffic). The schools are good here and there is everything you need as well as not too far from Tampa if you want to go there for shopping or what have you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or