Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:24 PM

93 posts, read 258,428 times

Advertisements

OK, I know this doesn't seem to make sense, but I am torn between moving to south Tampa or the Lutz/Wesley Chapel area. It's me, my wife, and two kids, moving from up north, working near USF. We've only visited once, briefly, so most of our research has been remotely done. So any advice would be helpful from people who live in these areas.

I've heard commuting to Lutz or New Tampa or Wesley Chapel from USF actually takes longer than it does to SoTampa (because of the rush hour direction of traffic and the congestion up north). Is that true? IF so that may kill one of the main arguments for the burbs north of USF. We are somewhat city people and do want a place with things to do: walk to the grocery, shops, some restaurants. Nothing rowdy, but we do like a community feel. On the other hand, we both appreciate quiet, safety for the kids, and a little space... but the nothern burbs seem very sterile, antisocial, and cookie cutter from what I've read.

Plus, the kicker is that it seems you get get a MUCH better home in the burbs compared to SoTampa for the same money. We're looking to spend between 300 and 375K. We don't need (or even want) a McMansion, but the disparity in pricing seems outrageous from my MLS searches. That kind of money barely gets you a run down 3 bedroom house in SoTampa, from what I can tell.

So, my question is... what do you all think about the quality of life in SoTampa vs the suburbs given the costs. Commute? Crime? Peace and Quiet? Houses? Schools? Community? If both areas cost the same I think it would be a no-brainer for us... we're just not sure life in SoTampa will be worth it compared to the alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 04:31 PM

151 posts, read 798,755 times
Quote:
but the nothern burbs seem very sterile, antisocial, and cookie cutter from what I've read.
Cookie cutter, yes, but I have honestly seen that all over. The rest, I don't know that I agree with that. I wouldn't say the northern burbs are an area to walk to the grocery, though. Will you be travelling down to see in person before making a decision?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:36 PM

We will be visiting again soon, so I know that the obvious peice of advice is to wait and see. But I want to get some impressions from people here first. Usually you folks can identify things that are not obvious just be driving through an looking around. Some problems/perks are only realized once you live there for a while.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
For you and your family - go with the 'burbs. You are correct in that you money will go much, much farther. It is clean and safe, family oriented there, can't tell you about the schools, but I believe they are good. Your commute will be better there as well.

Yes, everything up there will be new and "cookie cutter" as opposed to South Tampa, which has a lot of older homes and more character. South Tampa is also more "walkable" if that is important to you. But you will definitely pay the price down there, not only in price but in taxes.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 AM

54 posts, read 264,074 times
you would save a lot of headaches if you went to the 'burbs.' The houses are nicer and most of them are newer compared to So Tampa. You will get much more bang for your buck. USF is only about a 20 or 25 minute commute through traffic. Advice would be to stay to the north side of New Tampa or the south side of Wesley Chapel. Stay somewhere near SR 54 and Bruce B Downs and you should be fine. Good luck in your journey!!

Old 08-24-2008, 03:20 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Why not just rent a nice home in S Tampa while the market goes down? That's what I'd recommend. It's got a while to go, and when it bottoms out, it's not going to zip back up anytime soon. You're money will probably get you even more in a couple more years.

I live in the "Burbs" but lived in S Tampa when I was younger. I can tell you that it's night and day. Hands down S Tampa wins.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvalle View Post
OK, I know this doesn't seem to make sense, but I am torn between moving to south Tampa or the Lutz/Wesley Chapel area. It's me, my wife, and two kids, moving from up north, working near USF. We've only visited once, briefly, so most of our research has been remotely done. So any advice would be helpful from people who live in these areas.

I've heard commuting to Lutz or New Tampa or Wesley Chapel from USF actually takes longer than it does to SoTampa (because of the rush hour direction of traffic and the congestion up north). Is that true? IF so that may kill one of the main arguments for the burbs north of USF. We are somewhat city people and do want a place with things to do: walk to the grocery, shops, some restaurants. Nothing rowdy, but we do like a community feel. On the other hand, we both appreciate quiet, safety for the kids, and a little space... but the nothern burbs seem very sterile, antisocial, and cookie cutter from what I've read.

Plus, the kicker is that it seems you get get a MUCH better home in the burbs compared to SoTampa for the same money. We're looking to spend between 300 and 375K. We don't need (or even want) a McMansion, but the disparity in pricing seems outrageous from my MLS searches. That kind of money barely gets you a run down 3 bedroom house in SoTampa, from what I can tell.

So, my question is... what do you all think about the quality of life in SoTampa vs the suburbs given the costs. Commute? Crime? Peace and Quiet? Houses? Schools? Community? If both areas cost the same I think it would be a no-brainer for us... we're just not sure life in SoTampa will be worth it compared to the alternative.
Regarding crime, houses, schools you will find both the burbs and south tampa have good and bad, ......i have friends that live in the burbs north of tampa and LOVE it, then I have others that live there and HATE it, cant wait to get out of there, but I will say, I dont know anyone personally who lives in South Tampa and hates it and cant wait to get out...you really need to ask yourself a few questions..

do you look cookie cutter houses and land tracts, gated communities, HOA and deed restricted communities, suburban traffic-4 to 6 lane roadways, big box stores and chain retatuarants and shops, everything brand new?(one of my brothers does) OR do you like to be close to everything, walkable areas to mom and pop type restaurants and shops, culture, history, character, and individuality, proximity to airport, downtown and westshore business centers, shopping, sports, festivals and events.....its a matter of taste and desire....

A good realtor can show you some nice houses in south tampa for your 300-375 range, just as they can in north tampa, it also depends on what you want in your house, and whats most important to you. You can get a GREAT South Tampa house in your price range in areas like Virginia Park, Palma Ceia, Bel Mar Estates, Fair Oaks/Manhatten Manor, and Bayside West neighborhoods(some brand new construction). GO South of Gandy Blvd to Port Tampa City(end of Westshore Blvd), and you can get BRAND NEW construction for less than your range. Just some ideas...

Last edited by tampaguy03; 08-24-2008 at 04:12 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Regarding crime, houses, schools you will find both the burbs and south tampa have good and bad, ......i have friends that live in the burbs north of tampa and LOVE it, then I have others that live there and HATE it, cant wait to get out of there, but I will say, I dont know anyone personally who lives in South Tampa and hates it and cant wait to get out...you really need to ask yourself a few questions..

do you look cookie cutter houses and land tracts, gated communities, HOA and deed restricted communities, suburban traffic-4 to 6 lane roadways, big box stores and chain retatuarants and shops, everything brand new?(one of my brothers does) OR do you like to be close to everything, walkable areas to mom and pop type restaurants and shops, culture, history, character, and individuality, proximity to airport, downtown and westshore business centers, shopping, sports, festivals and events.....its a matter of taste and desire....

A good realtor can show you some nice houses in south tampa for your 300-375 range, just as they can in north tampa, it also depends on what you want in your house, and whats most important to you. You can get a GREAT South Tampa house in your price range in areas like Virginia Park, Palma Ceia, Bel Mar Estates, Fair Oaks/Manhatten Manor, and Bayside West neighborhoods(some brand new construction). GO South of Gandy Blvd to Port Tampa City(end of Westshore Blvd), and you can get BRAND NEW construction for less than your range. Just some ideas...
Thanks for the info. I guess the truth is that we'd like SoTampa much more if it's what you describe. But we also want low stresss and hassle. Funny, but from your post I might find the burbs more stressful in a "Brazil" or "Truman Show" sort of way. I'll have to go see for myself, but I'm leaning towards SoTampa. Aren't there any places out in Lutz or Wesley chapel that are more "semi-rural". That is to say, 1 acre lots, not cookie cutter, "natural" landscape, not gated. If we were to be outside the city we'd prefer this sort of thing to master planned community of crammed tract homes.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Aren't there any places out in Lutz or Wesley chapel that are more "semi-rural". That is to say, 1 acre lots, not cookie cutter, "natural" landscape, not gated. If we were to be outside the city we'd prefer this sort of thing to master planned community of crammed tract homes.
Yes, I would suggest you to consult with a realtor for those properties.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess the truth is that we'd like SoTampa much more if it's what you describe. But we also want low stresss and hassle. Funny, but from your post I might find the burbs more stressful in a "Brazil" or "Truman Show" sort of way. I'll have to go see for myself, but I'm leaning towards SoTampa. Aren't there any places out in Lutz or Wesley chapel that are more "semi-rural". That is to say, 1 acre lots, not cookie cutter, "natural" landscape, not gated. If we were to be outside the city we'd prefer this sort of thing to master planned community of crammed tract homes.
jdvalle - If you want something rural in a BEAUTIFUL setting, and don't mind just a few minutes further commute, check out Dade City in Eastern Pasco County. We lived there for 11 years, first moved out there when hubby worked at USF (about a 35 minute commute). Check out San Antonio, Darby, St. Joe, or in general the areas to the west of town. If you don't mind even further, check out Blanton. The scenery in this part of Florida is gorgeous, there are large rolling hills, lots of lakes and woods, you would think you are in North Carolina. Do check it out and see if it's for you. Now please understand you will be a pretty good drive from "city life." The town itself has some retaurants and big box shopping, but for anything more exotic you will have to drive at least to "cookie cutter" land of Wesley Chapel (about 20 minutes drive).

If this is too far away, then I would recommend Lutz. Personally I can't stand the blandness of Wesley Chapel, not too mention it is really getting congested there.

Just a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay