U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 AM
 
4 posts, read 15,323 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I currently live in the Winchester Va area. We have been thinking about relocating to a different state now for a while. We thought about Maine, but my husband can't deal with the cold weather and snow. My husband has a lot of close family members in Florida and we recently went on a visit and we love it. We have a 2 yr old and an 8 month old. I know that we could get used to the humid weather. We would want to live on the gulf side maybe in the Seminole area, or surronding areas. I stay at home and my husband works as a pharmacist. His only concern would be that he would have to take a pay cut working in Florida because there are so many pharmacies.
I would love to hear pros and cons of this area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 PM
 
8 posts, read 15,810 times
Reputation: 13
Thumbs down Seminole is nasty.

Seminole sucks! I lived there and worked there. I was a good employee, but was outed and disciplined at work, assumed to be gay, but THAT was none of their business. Bigots galore! I would not live in, shop at, drive through, or even contimplate visiting someone there. Nothing good in a town full of people practicing hate toward people different than themselves. YUK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
14,114 posts, read 20,032,941 times
Reputation: 9494
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareeverywhere View Post
Seminole sucks! I lived there and worked there. I was a good employee, but was outed and disciplined at work, assumed to be gay, but THAT was none of their business. Bigots galore! I would not live in, shop at, drive through, or even contimplate visiting someone there. Nothing good in a town full of people practicing hate toward people different than themselves. YUK!
Why are you here dragging up these old threads to make these comments? Also, I have a very good friend who dated a girl that was part of the GSA at Seminole High and found it to be very accepting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 10:41 PM
 
8 posts, read 15,810 times
Reputation: 13
Angry Because it is still an issue there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why are you here dragging up these old threads to make these comments? Also, I have a very good friend who dated a girl that was part of the GSA at Seminole High and found it to be very accepting.
It is a very serious issue, especially for LGBT gang. Seminole is a place where you can walk and meet someone and say 'hi', and they won't respond to you, then they will judge you based on nothing. You can be a productive person and BAM!, if you are judged to be anything but a 'good' Christian IN THEIR JUDGMENT, you will be dealt with harshly, as I was. It is a place to be avoided by all LGBT persons. Ask Susan Stanton of nearby Largo, it's the same there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
14,114 posts, read 20,032,941 times
Reputation: 9494
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareeverywhere View Post
It is a very serious issue, especially for LGBT gang. Seminole is a place where you can walk and meet someone and say 'hi', and they won't respond to you, then they will judge you based on nothing. You can be a productive person and BAM!, if you are judged to be anything but a 'good' Christian IN THEIR JUDGMENT, you will be dealt with harshly, as I was. It is a place to be avoided by all LGBT persons. Ask Susan Stanton of nearby Largo, it's the same there too.
Sorry, but I know many gay/lesbian people who either live in, or frequent Seminole quite often and have never experienced the wide spread bigotry that you claim exists. The GSA at Seminole High is very active and receives quite a bit of support from the community.

And you're terribly misrepresenting the Steve Stanton issue. There was overwhelming support for him from the community and the mayor or Largo. I remember several large demonstrations supporting him, an article by the St. Pete times stating that the majority of the public supported him as well as relatively large national support.

Let's face it. You (assuming your story is true) got treated unfairly at your previous place of employment and now you are imputing that bigotry on an entire city with a population of over 10,000. Your post is full of emotion and totally devoid of logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
 
8 posts, read 15,810 times
Reputation: 13
Thumbs down You are blinded because you don't see

Concerning the city of seminole:

When a small group of people with power to do wrong or do the right thing, and choose the wrong, bigotted way, there is a problem. No one said that if you live in a city with bigots makes a person a bigot. When the powers that be are bigots, and act with malice and bigotry, I think I have the right to say bigotted acts were made against me, I was lied to, and was lied about under oath, and was wronged at their option, because of their abuse of their power. The city of seminole spends tax dollars to harass, deny, or otherwise impede justice for people that cannot defend themselves or afford to hire an attorney. It is a dishonest place, run by dishonest or hypocritical or incompetent people. If you are into women being bothered by men at work, paid a lower wage, and treated differently for being pregnant, you can live in podunk City of Seminole. Sometimes justice is found, sometimes justice is denied, here, denial of justice is bought with tax money and lies.

PS Susan Stanton was fired because she wanted to change her sex, not because of any other legitimate reason. Remember, bigots are always hiding from the truth. They can't stand the truth, so they lie to hide their filthy ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
14,114 posts, read 20,032,941 times
Reputation: 9494
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareeverywhere View Post
Concerning the city of seminole:

When a small group of people with power to do wrong or do the right thing, and choose the wrong, bigotted way, there is a problem. No one said that if you live in a city with bigots makes a person a bigot. When the powers that be are bigots, and act with malice and bigotry, I think I have the right to say bigotted acts were made against me, I was lied to, and was lied about under oath, and was wronged at their option, because of their abuse of their power. The city of seminole spends tax dollars to harass, deny, or otherwise impede justice for people that cannot defend themselves or afford to hire an attorney. It is a dishonest place, run by dishonest or hypocritical or incompetent people. If you are into women being bothered by men at work, paid a lower wage, and treated differently for being pregnant, you can live in podunk City of Seminole. Sometimes justice is found, sometimes justice is denied, here, denial of justice is bought with tax money and lies.

PS Susan Stanton was fired because she wanted to change her sex, not because of any other legitimate reason. Remember, bigots are always hiding from the truth. They can't stand the truth, so they lie to hide their filthy ignorance.
I don't even know how to respond to this, as it's full of garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 PM
 
465 posts, read 629,107 times
Reputation: 779
I've lived in Seminole, and I'm currently living in Largo. They are both very nice areas. I do not have children, but I've heard that Seminole has a great school system. Things I don't like...there is a lot of traffic, and we are now into our 5 months of heat and humidity...BUT we did just enjoy 7 months of very nice weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pinellas County
1,430 posts, read 2,632,133 times
Reputation: 1025
We have lived in Seminole for almost 9 years. Our children have lived through the Seminole school system my son is a junior, my daughter is graduating today, albeit from St Pete High.
The people in my neighborhood are black, gay, old, young, wealthy, poor, retired, working, unemployed, American, foreign permenant residents, visa residents, christian, jewish, muslim, non believers. I have never experienced any bigotry, even though I'm a foreign, non churchgoer, though I do find many of the folks a little backward in their ideas at times, but this is the South, and sometimes a country person, from a Bible belt environment will find themselves upset at the attitudes of the 'fast living' north easterners. Not everyone wants someone elses beliefs chucked in their faces, and sometimes new folks need to assimilate a little first.
However, I do know that bigotry does exist all over, and its hard to deal with when aimed at you.
But I do know that Seminole is a great place to bring up children, as to their influences, if the parents are paying attention to them, their upbringing and teaching them the things they believe are right, there is no reason to worry about their growth and development. I think pharmacy work is good here, not sure on pay, but we certainly have enough of them on street corners, due to the huge aging population.

I say good luck to you, and don't worry on the traffic, its nowhere near as bad as London, Paris and New York and LA LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,677 times
Reputation: 11
I've lived in Largo, FL since 1994 and my mother-in-law has lived in Seminole, FL for about the last five years. We love both places, and I've never before heard anyone complain that either place is "bigoted" in any, particular way. Susan Stanton was very much supported by the majority of people in Largo, and most felt sad that she was voted out of her job by a handful of co-workers on the City Council. My neighborhood is a working-class, multi-cultural area and people here are very accepting of diversity among individuals. My gay friend lived with us for several months, and reported no problems in Largo -- whatsoever. There is a lot of traffic, but you tend to get used to it, and learn how to navigate the side-roads. We like Seminole, as it has a more "small town" feel. Good luck to you. My advice is to visit the area and stay a few days; ask LOTS of questions of current residents. And, don't let one negative report about an area spoil your decision. Also -- you will adjust to the hot summers. It just takes a little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top