U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times

Advertisements

Let me start with the Rays beating us in Game 7 has nothing to do with this move, lol. I am and always will be a Sox Girl. But I will root for the Rays in the World Series!

For the past 7 years I have been coming down to the Tampa Bay area staying with my Grandma in Gulfport or on St. Petes Beach. Everytime I am there I do not want to leave and have been saying I am moving. Well the time has come...My goal is to be there in January. I am done with snow and this city (although I love it) just need to switch it up a bit.

I know that I do not want to live in Gulfport. Although I love the Art District and the local bars and restaraunts, I think I am too young for that scene.

So my next thought was St. Pete Beach or downtown St. Pete. I am really looking to live near where I work. With all the hotels and stuff down there I figured that'd be a good option. I am a city girl so I prefer not to drive unless I have to.

Now as I lean closer to downtown....I wonder what the scene is like. Is it more people my age than the beach seemed to be? Would I be able to get by without a car? I have been looking at apartments on Craigslist and TBO.com for $6-700 a month. And hope to get a waitress/bartending job.

Can anyone tell me more about this scene or any other places a 25 year old can fit in comfortably? Fun bars and hangouts with good people. Looking for suggestions....I will be down in December to check out some places and jobs before I U-Haul it down there in January.

Someone, Anyone...Please and Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:07 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,445,180 times
Hi, I moved here from Boston six years ago and live in Tampa. Prepare to be frustrated by the average age and lack of hustle and bustle. I don't drive, but it's frustrating here as the Bay area is car-centric I wish I could move back to Boston -- I'll trade with you if you want

Actually, I've enjoyed my break from winter and I think you'll have fun here. Down Town St. Pete can be a lot of fun. I LOVE Cafe Alma (one of my faves) and on the beach you should check out UnderTow or Sirata.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM

106 posts, read 406,191 times
Not sure if you are checking your post anymore, but I have been visiting relatives in Seminole for many years (my family and I are from Worcester). I moved here this August and frankly (although I am older) have been pulling my hair out trying to find cool places/clubs. beaches, etc. to hang out at.

Interestingly, in St. Pete just West of downtown on Central are some cool little grungy joints like the Emerald or the Garage if you like locals and music, but for the most part St. Pete downtown is like all of 2 blocks of stuff (pretty small). Undertow on Sundays & Caddy's on Sundays are fun. I have heard Shepards in Clearwater is good, but haven't been there yet.

I did get introduced to some of the Dentons/S. Tampa stuff, but to far to drive when drinking.

I went to a Bucs game last weekend. That is a freaking party.
Gasparilla is after the Superbowl in Feb. this year - WOW that is another freaking blast!

All in all I will probably move closer to St. Pete should I not move back WEST!

Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,675 times
You don't want downtown St Pete, Gulfport or St Pete Beach. Nice places to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there. You want Hyde Park in Tampa. Try to check it out online. It's young, active, vibrant, wonderful shops and restaurants that you can walk to. I don't know Boston, but Hyde Park would equate to the nicer aspects of DuPont Circle or Georgetown. The only problem would be is they pay you in sunshine. Come on down for a visit, line up a job, then move down. What are you waiting for? Call the airlines and book a flight.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 PM

892 posts, read 1,410,049 times
Get ready for a pay cut.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,228 times
Hyde Park...I'm 25/f work in a bar, live behind MacDintons off Howard Avenue. It's close to everything. If you move to St. Pete you will find yourself looking to move to Hyde Park...guarantee it! St. Pete is awesome to visit, but not the heart of the area for our age-group...

Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 AM

108 posts, read 281,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizcahall View Post
Hyde Park...I'm 25/f work in a bar, live behind MacDintons off Howard Avenue. It's close to everything. If you move to St. Pete you will find yourself looking to move to Hyde Park...guarantee it! St. Pete is awesome to visit, but not the heart of the area for our age-group...
Actually, there is a good deal of young people in downtown St Pete these days. It really depends on what you're into. Hyde Park is more for young professionals, while St Pete downtown has a little of everything.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 20,118 times
I to Age 27 am from the Boston Area (Wilmington Currently) and have family in Seminole which I have visited now over 50 times and have considered moving myself due to the weather and sometimes mean attitude of fellow Bostonians. I can give you a run down of fun bars and clubs Some of my favorite are the following.

Chanelside - This district area of Tampa is a large plaza with a bunch of different bars and clubs and a outdoor courtyard. Some of my favorites include Splitsville ( equivalent to a Jillian's in Boston but much more fun) Margarita Mammas and Banana Joes which has a huge dance floor and party on Fridays and Saturdays.

Ybor City- On 7th ave in Tampa is Ybor City a large area of bars and clubs on a single street. The area can get pretty rough but in my 50 or so times of visiting I have never been involved in anything. Some of my favorites on this street are Green Iguana , Prana (a 5 floor club) and some of the small dives.

St. Petersburg- Downtown St Pete has a bunch of great small dive bars and other things such as a wine bar. I think you will find that no mater where you go it is much cheaper to go out in Florida and drink specials are a plenty in addition to less or no cover charges and friendlier bouncers than Boston.

Good luck with your move and I wish I could go soon myself but I have a girlfriend who is in school around her and doesn't want to leave just yet

Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,911 times
If you are from Boston (the actual city) then you will regret moving down here once the newness wears off. Besides weather, there isn't much. Travel two miles outside "downtown" Tampa and you will feel like you are in rural South Carolina. If you are from the suburbs of Boston, then Tampa/St. Pete might be your speed. Nice place to retire I would imagine, but if you have any sense of urgency in life (professionally or socially), you will be extremely disappointed.

Thought about anywhere else?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 PM

892 posts, read 1,410,049 times
If you don't like snow, than this area will be the answer you are looking for.

IN EVERY OTHER WAY.......Boston is far superior. Trust me, the "newness" will wear off. It is hard to realize what Florida is like untill you live here for a few years.

Many people after living here realize that they would put up with and even enjoy cold, snowy, grey WINTERS (it's only 4 or maybe 5 months) to gain the positives of living in an area such as Boston.

Positives such as: FAR BETTER schools
FAR BETTER pay
FAR MORE opportunities for advancement
An ACTUAL small piece of land in the suburbs/towns
rather than a lot just big enough to fit the house
An ACTUAL change of seasons
Proximity to other states/area for different scenery and
activities. It takes FOREVER to get out of FL
REAL, GENUINE people-a little loud and fast...... but
GENUINE.
ECT......ECT.......ECT......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or