Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:08 PM

79 posts, read 331,017 times

Advertisements

I live in Carrollwood now and am in the process of buying in New Tampa. Here are my impressions of both:

- Carrollwood is nice. Has stuff to do in terms of restaurants and bars. Close to Downtown (but not too close), which is nice if you work there. Easy access to 275 and the Veterans, so can go to the beach fairly easily.

- Houses are nice but older than New Tampa. Houses are a little bit more expensive in Carrollwood because of the amenities and closeness to stuff; however, I prefer newer houses and I found the houses in Carrollwood to be overpriced in spite of their age.

- New Tampa is a little further from everything and there is some traffic, but if you're from a large city like I am, this traffic isn't so bad and if you time it right, you'll be fine.

- New Tampa has everything you need by way of shopping. Its also pretty safe. Many of those gated communities are very well maintained and scenic. The one that I'm moving too feels like a resort.

- If you work in USF Carrollwood or New Tampa are fine in terms of commute.

In short, both are nice, but I prefer New Tampa. Carrollwood's a little overpriced...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:46 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
In my opinion, each suburb has its strong points. New Tampa has newer construction which should provide better insurance rates (2002 & later). It is located in the City of Tampa, so you can expect to pay 1-1.5 points more in taxes. Hopefully it equals out! If you haven't heard about CDDs, please do some research on that as well.

There are plenty of restaurants, Muvico, four golf courses, YMCA, big box stores and the new Shops at Wiregress (Hwy 56 & Bruce B Downs) is scheduled to open later this month. The shops at The Grove are already open (Hwy 54 & I-75).

Commuting in/out of New Tampa has always been an issue, but the I-75 exit was just expanded and I would guess that Livingston and Morris Bridge will be widened in due time.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 10-25-2008 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: typos!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
Default tampa palms

I assume you are single. I live in tampa palms with 2 kids. The traffic can be a headache going across Bearss and worse crossing Fletcher. I take my kids to a performing arts school in carrollwood. It takes me 25 to 30 minutes to get from tampa palms to carrollwood. There is not much night life in new tampa. A bar or 2, lots of restaurants, movie theater,etc. Depends on what you are looking for. New tampa is probably better suited for family life. Though it is a quick hop on to the highway to get to downtown. YMCA has a nice gym and I see guys playing basketball. Though this is a fairly safe area, you still have to be aware of your surroundings. You can get a nice house here for under $300k. Now is the time to buy. There is a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house with a pool and they are asking $340k.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
have you thought about wesley chapel, just up the road near I75 and 54. It is maybe 10minutes
til you hit the shoppes, and Oakely has just put in a new shopping pazza. Yes it is quiet, and peacefull.
If you are renting, or buying prices are now back to so called normal. As you did say, this area now
has good schools, shoping etc., and it is safe. Seven Oaks also is real nice near Sam's Club. In this economy, I would try to get the most for the money in my budget, you always may change. Meadow Point also has a real good school, and is a nice place. usf is maybe 20 minutes.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-25-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 124,833 times
It seems to me that you would do well in either Carrolwood or New Tampa, but as always, I'll put my 2 cents in for New Tampa. After living in New Tampa (and working near the Carrolwood area) for 6+ years I have never found there to be a higher class of people specifically, in Carrolwood. To imply that elite neighborhoods mean classier people, is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on this forum. Some of the wealthiest people happen to be some of the worst scourges of the earth. Money can't buy class. With that said, there may be 'elite' areas speckled throughout Carrolwood, but (IMO) there is a more consistent, broader range of upper middle class family neighborhoods in New Tampa, and PLENTY of elite sections as well. As for the nightlife, I've had some great meals in Carrolwood, but I can't say that I've found any nightlife there, aside from a few bars and pubs. Its great to leave em in Carrolwood and go home to quiet 'sleepy' New Tampa..

Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 AM

93 posts, read 258,428 times
One thing I find amazing is that no one here has really ragged on New Tampa. I figured at least one or two people would say something like "yeah I lived there and tried it out, but the place drove me insane with it's stepford wives vibe and total lack of anything interesting to do"

I'm not saying that is how I would feel, but I'm amazed at the lack of a negative comment. I take that as a good sign, I guess.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Joe View Post
It seems to me that you would do well in either Carrolwood or New Tampa, but as always, I'll put my 2 cents in for New Tampa. After living in New Tampa (and working near the Carrolwood area) for 6+ years I have never found there to be a higher class of people specifically, in Carrolwood. To imply that elite neighborhoods mean classier people, is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard on this forum. Some of the wealthiest people happen to be some of the worst scourges of the earth. Money can't buy class. With that said, there may be 'elite' areas speckled throughout Carrolwood, but (IMO) there is a more consistent, broader range of upper middle class family neighborhoods in New Tampa, and PLENTY of elite sections as well. As for the nightlife, I've had some great meals in Carrolwood, but I can't say that I've found any nightlife there, aside from a few bars and pubs. Its great to leave em in Carrolwood and go home to quiet 'sleepy' New Tampa..
Well being that you "worked near" the Carrollwood area, that would not make you such an first-hand expert, would it? Providing that you worked with others who also "worked near" the Carrollwood area. If someone cannot find nightlife in the Carrollwood/Citrus Park area, they are not looking - or are just a "bar and pub" sort of mind-set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay