U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 AM

93 posts, read 231,283 times

Advertisements

What are people's impressions of New Tampa/Tampa Palms area. I know it's quiet, safe, good for families etc. But I'm concerned about the sheer boredom of the area and the fact that any sort of "life" seems to be an uneccissarily incovenient 20+ minute drive through traffic.

It is really that bad? How does it compare to Carolwood, for example, or Lutz?

Are there people who live there that feel like they are going nuts in suburban hell? Or do most people actually love it and find it to be a great lifestyle... maybe even better than they expected?

I know a lot of this depends on the person. Eventhough I would prefer a So. Tampa lifestyle, I think I'm priced out of that area. So that leaves me options of New Tampa vs. Carolwood vs. Lutz as far as a reasonable place to raise a family and commute to work (near USF). Any insights from people who have tried these places on for size is greatly appreciated. What interesting things have you learned only after living there for a while?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:52 PM

29 posts, read 90,831 times
New Tampa -- It's a wonderful, exciting place -- there's a gator in every pond! I own a condo there I'd like to sell, but won't sell it until prices rise again whenever that is.

I also own a condo in St. Pete and I always weigh whether I would rather live closer to the water and the action in St. Pete but in a more downscale area, or a little more upscale and boring in New Tampa. There's no clear winning answer.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:41 AM

7,269 posts, read 9,684,299 times
I'm dating a man who lives in New Tampa - the area is quite nice. It is quiet up there, safe, all that you mentioned. He does not complain about being bored out of his skull, however, most of his activities/business is down in the south Tampa. Before Westshore, I lived in Carrollwood. Can't go wrong with mid-Northern areas of Carrollwood, plenty to do. If I had to choose between New Tampa and Carrollwood, I would choose to move back to Carrollwood. New Tampa is just a bit slower paced for my lifestyle than that of which I prefer.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the info JeepGirl.

Does Carrollwood actually have more "activity" than New Tampa. It was hard for me to tell during my brief visit. I also got the impression that Carrollwood is a lower real estate value area compared to New Tampa... which certainly isn't a bad thing, I just wonder if there are drawbacks that contribute to that. I will definitely look at the northern area you mentioned though. I did remember seeing some very nice neighborhoods there.

I've also heard that Carrollwood is a hellish communte to the USF area, despite being pretty close. Is that true??

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM

12 posts, read 84,867 times
I live in Carrollwood and I work at USF. I live almost exactly 10 miles from work and in the morning it takes me 25 minutes to get to work...if I leave by 7am. If I leave between 7:10 and 7:30 it will take 40+ minutes to make the same trip. Coming home, I leave the office at 4:30 and the same trip in reverse takes 30-35 minutes. Whenever I leave between 5 and 5:15 it takes 45 minutes to almost an hour to get home.

The heavy traffic is why I arrive early and leave early. Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM

15,835 posts, read 33,176,251 times
If it were me making the choice, I would choose Carrollwood. I don't think the commute would be that much more (New Tampa is hellish with traffic, IMO) and there is much more character to the Carrollwood area. Also, it's closer to drive to other Tampa amenities than New Tampa. This is a personal thing but I don't like gated community after gated community mixed with bland strip malls and few trees, which is what most of new Tampa looks like to me, but a lot of people like the relative "newness" of it.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvalle View Post
Thanks for the info JeepGirl.

Does Carrollwood actually have more "activity" than New Tampa. It was hard for me to tell during my brief visit. I also got the impression that Carrollwood is a lower real estate value area compared to New Tampa... which certainly isn't a bad thing, I just wonder if there are drawbacks that contribute to that. I will definitely look at the northern area you mentioned though. I did remember seeing some very nice neighborhoods there.

I've also heard that Carrollwood is a hellish communte to the USF area, despite being pretty close. Is that true??
New Tampa is less expensive than Carrollwood. Carrollwood has numerous elite neighborhoods to live. The caliber of people, because of these neighborhoods, are a bit higher. Carrollwood has a lot of money in it. The very Southern end of Carrollwood, around the Linebaugh/Dale Mabry - Waters/Dale Mabry is a dump, avoid those areas. Anything at Fletcher/Dale and north - up to Ehrlich (and a couple lights north, but not past Gaither HS), you are good. But that's only my opinion and what I like and see as suitable. After traffic disappears, New Tampa is a sleepy community - no one says, "Hey, lets go to New Tampa for a great time!" Much more activity in Carrollwood and in Citrus Park/Westchase for things to do at night. Not sure about the commute to USF, I do not go to school.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:01 PM

This is great info. Thanks guys.

It seems to me that I'd be more comfortable in Carrollwood. I tend to like places with more character and community, even if they're not "new". But that commute to USF area does seem a bit scary.

I really had no idea that Carrollwood had such "exclusive" or "high end" areas, as you imply. So I take it that Northern Carrollwood would be considered a very safe place to raise a family? Moreso than New Tampa or Lutz?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM

15,835 posts, read 33,176,251 times
Quote:

It seems to me that I'd be more comfortable in Carrollwood. I tend to like places with more character and community, even if they're not "new". But that commute to USF area does seem a bit scary.

I really had no idea that Carrollwood had such "exclusive" or "high end" areas, as you imply. So I take it that Northern Carrollwood would be considered a very safe place to raise a family? Moreso than New Tampa or Lutz?
Those are all good areas to raise a family - it's just all in what you prefer.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Carrollwood has high end areas scattered all over north of Fletcher. Not just straight north of that, but to the W/NW where it runs into Citrus Park and NE as well. Lake Magdaline is very nice as well, that is the NE side. You are safe raising a family in New Tampa or Carrollwood, it's all about how isolated you want to be and what is in the monthly budget.

Lutz. . . I don't even consider that a part of Tampa, it's so disconnected and way up there. Some people love it in Lutz. . . I don't care for it. Same for Land O Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or