Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 PM

10 posts, read 37,870 times

Advertisements

How is the heat and how long does the worst of it last?
How is tampa overall?
I was thinking of living near the Chi Chi Rodriguez golf course area?
How long of a commute is that to downtown tampa or st. petersburg... most of the jobs seem to be in that area? I would probably work for the Dept of Transportation or the County......maybe the Dept. of Health ......looking to make about $40000 at least and get an even transfer of time......is this possible???
I am from New York and have a state job. I have read that the state of florida will take upto 5 years of out-of-state service that is in the Florida Retirement System. Has anyone done this if so, How much does it cost? Will they take an even transfer of time? Will the state or county pay for your time?

How are the benefits are they comparable?
Can you get laid off easy working for the state or a county job in florida? In New York once your in your in for good unless you really screw up?

Is it easy to move around within departments?
How does there pay scales work?

I work in the civil engineering field....... I inspect state roadway projects and bridge projects.

Any other suggestions or info about moving job wise or weather wise would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 PM

123 posts, read 346,028 times
The area your looking at near Clearwater is a good location. I just moved to that area from the south Tampa area and find this area w/better amenities , upscale neighbourhoods and close to plenty shopping and heallth establishments. Most cities dwon her have just taken a big hit from State budget cuts ( millions) This will effect schools and city services. We expect lay offs, so make sure you have a job before coming to Florida. Housing is expensive of course but ther are plenty for sale. You should be able to find reasonable rental though if you want to wait to buy.
State funding is being cut and we expect job freeze across the board. Even police dept jobs are affected. WE voted for lower property taxes so tis is the penalty. I feel pretty sure the sales tax will be hiked as soon as the elections are over in November.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 PM

76 posts, read 330,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzrod5 View Post
......looking to make about $40000 at least and get an even transfer of time......is this possible???
I am from New York and have a state job. I have read that the state of florida will take upto 5 years of out-of-state service that is in the Florida Retirement System. Has anyone done this if so, How much does it cost? Will they take an even transfer of time? Will the state or county pay for your time?
Why would the state of Florida honor time served in NY? That makes no sense at all. I know for a fact the County does not accept time accrued from other local jurisdictions within the state, so you can be certain the County won't accept your time either.

Quote:
How are the benefits are they comparable?
Comparable to what? The state of NY's? Moderator cut: ..

Quote:
Can you get laid off easy working for the state or a county job in florida? In New York once your in your in for good unless you really screw up?
I suggest you stay in NY then because Hillsborough County government is going to have to cut about $114 million from their budget next fiscal year to compensate for Amendment One and the crappy housing market. Most of that $114 million will come from personnel cuts. Last Fall the County went through a small RIF situation and a lot of vacant positions were cut and bout 60-70 employees were lid off. Essentially the County lost weight be eliminating most of its vacant but funded positions. This time around there are hardly any vacant positions left, so the cuts will affect funded positions that are not vacant.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-08-2008 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Please don't be rude

Old 05-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdame View Post
The area your looking at near Clearwater is a good location. I just moved to that area from the south Tampa area and find this area w/better amenities , upscale neighbourhoods and close to plenty shopping and heallth establishments. Most cities dwon her have just taken a big hit from State budget cuts ( millions) This will effect schools and city services. We expect lay offs, so make sure you have a job before coming to Florida. Housing is expensive of course but ther are plenty for sale. You should be able to find reasonable rental though if you want to wait to buy.
State funding is being cut and we expect job freeze across the board. Even police dept jobs are affected. WE voted for lower property taxes so tis is the penalty. I feel pretty sure the sales tax will be hiked as soon as the elections are over in November.
I go to MyFlorida.com - Home to look at state or county jobs... if they have a job opening on there at this point in time is it safer to say they will keep that job around... will it be better to work for the state or hillsbourough, pinnellas or pasco county or doesn't really matter
When are they going to make cuts or will the just put a freeze on .... how is the civil engineer feild as far as designing highways or inspecting highways???

Thanks

Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM

17,457 posts, read 38,855,436 times
The state and county both have cut hundreds of jobs and there is a hiring freeze. My husband works for Hillsborough County and has many friends who have lost their jobs. I can just about guaraqntee you will not get a state or county job with these cuts and many of our own residents out of work. And NO, they do not accept your out of state retirement - that doesn't make any sense. It was an ordeal just for my hubby to transfer his state to county plan.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The state and county both have cut hundreds of jobs and there is a hiring freeze. My husband works for Hillsborough County and has many friends who have lost their jobs. I can just about guaraqntee you will not get a state or county job with these cuts and many of our own residents out of work. And NO, they do not accept your out of state retirement - that doesn't make any sense. It was an ordeal just for my hubby to transfer his state to county plan.
It says it right on the FRS website that they will accept out-of-state service upto 5 years but yes it probably is an ordeal

Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,170,253 times
Chi Chi Rodriguez is indeed in a decent area, but if you're planning to live around there I hope you have more than a 40K income to rely on.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM

76 posts, read 330,470 times
Quote:
How much does it cost? Will they take an even transfer of time? Will the state or county pay for your time?
You have to be employed and vested in the Florida Retirement System in order for you to be eligibile to claim 5 years worth of out-of-state service. In essence, you have to work for state or local jurisdiction and be a participating member in the FRS for 6 years in order for you to be eligibile to pick up the out-of-state service. And as I read the statute, you don't just get it ... you have to pay for it yourself (20% of the yearly salary).

Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 PM

105 posts, read 198,340 times
good luck finding a government job PERIOD! My husband retired from the US Army in 2003 it took him 2 years to get into the government system even with his veterans preference!!!! If you hold a GS Position you might luck out and get a transfer within the government from New York to Florida (if you are currently employed by the Federal Gvmt. but other than that just like everyone else already said they are cutting jobs to the left and right here within the government! The area you want to live in is quiet pricey too! Are you looking to purchase a single family home? have you checked out the Federal Government Official Job website yet? USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site
One suggestion plan on applying for hundreds of jobs because thats how long it will take to even get a reply! My husband has been there and done that and 2 years later he got lucky.... and again that was with Veterans Preference Points and an MBA!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,061 times
the job market down there---how is it? my husband is in car dealership biz not selling but service and management w/14 yrs. experience. I have customer service experience along with working for state court system 5 years here in virginia....but, I also drive delivery(food) and I am a good waitress as well. How is the service jobs there? by the by, I noticed you guys have lots of foreclosures in crappy houses and good houses...what the heck happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay