Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here who works in the Dental industry?
I'm a college student and trying to find a career path. Considering starting out as a Dental Asst. or Dental Hygienist. What type of schooling/certifications do each require, what are the pay ranges, and which offer more opportunity in the field?

I looked at some info on the ADA website already, I was just curious to hear from people who are apart of that workforce, and what the pay rates look like in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:28 PM

21 posts, read 97,112 times
hey I am a Dental Hygienist. For assisting you dont really need anything unless you want your x-ray license or RDA after your name. Then you take courses for that. However Dental Hygiene requires an Associates Degree in Dental Hygiene with Sciences like human anatomy, physiology, embryology, chemistry, and other classes specifically in dental hygiene. its VERY tedious and you have to be a full time student. That is the general requirement across states, and you MUST pass the national and clinical boards in order to get licensed. I'm in NJ and my salary is $40 dollars an hour,but i am a new graduate and others who have been working longer are getting more. Across the states it may be a little different, but expect 30 to $40 in that range. Assisting depends on expierence, and that can range from $9 dollars to 20 dollars an hour, it depends on what kind of practice. (Speciality, etc.) I am curious to find out the exact median salary for florida as well, as I am going to be attending University of Tampa to recieve my bachelors in Public Health (I want to teach hygiene and it requires a bachelors degree). If you have some science courses under your belt, i would consider dental hygiene because it is a great profession, and everyone who is in it is happy generally with what they do. (Flexible time off, choose your own hours, etc.)

Any questions about Dental Hygiene I would be happy to answer, like National boards etc... they are the same qualifications across the states.

Christine =)

Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 PM

This link is helpful the website you want to go to is ADHA (American Dental Hygienist Association) not ADA, because ADA is dentist orientated....

ADHA - Education and Careers - What is a dental hygienist

that gives general career info in that link, such as schools, salaries and job opportunities. For example, as a hygienist you could work in sales for Crest, Colgate stuff like that, or with the State.. not just private practice. I am very happy with this profession I chose =)

Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 PM

I am also part of a program which goes into school districts to promote oral health and teach kids brushing ... etc. i LOVE what i do! (Okay my last post! =) !! )

Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,369 times
Sunsetladyx, I have a question! I am taking prerequisites for a DH program which offers only BS in hygiene. Although, i like hygiene I am afraid that where is no job for DH even with BS degree. You said, you want to teach hygiene, but in my area (New Orleans) where is not so many schools which offers a DH program. In fact, only one- in LSU- and i plan to apply where. I am really afraid to make a wrong choice, spend all my years on nothing (BSH program is expensier whan BS in nursing by the way). So...i am a little confused about my choice Can you suggest me something?

Sorry for my english ( I am not american).

Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 PM

MilaK-

Dental Hygiene is a GREAT field. There are laws right now being passed to help alleviate the job problem. You see, there is an EXTREME problem in dentistry. In New Jersey, it is VERY easy to find a job, so i am not familiar with your aspect in New Orleans. However, in other parts on the country there is a significant issue with access to care. Many people are in dire need of dental work yet do not have insurance, or do not realize the magnitude of their problems. Some states are allowing hygienist to work without the dentist.. in certain scenarios!

Independent Practice
A Dental Hygienist who holds a Limited Access Permit (LAP) may provide most dental hygiene services without the supervision of a dentist. The provision of services under a Limited Access Permit is limited to patients or residents of the following facilities or programs who, due to age, infirmity or disability, are unable to receive regular dental hygiene care: (NEEDS to be under supervision of dentist in certain states..)
  • Nursing home
  • Adult foster homes
  • Residential care facilities
  • Adult congregate living facilities
  • Mental health residential programs administered by the Department of Human Services.
  • Facilities for mentally ill persons
  • Facilities for persons with mental retardation
  • Local, state and regional correctional facilities and juvenile detention facilities.
  • Public and nonprofit community health clinics.
  • Homebound adults
  • Students or enrollees of nursery schools and day care programs and their siblings under 18 years of age, Job Corps and other similar employment training facilities, primary and secondary schools, including private schools and public charter schools and persons entitled to benifits under the Womens, Infants and Children Program.
There are MANY opportunities that people do not think of! I think you will be more than ok!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,369 times
Thank you, Sunsetladyx!
You gave me more optimism about dental hygiene!
Yes, I have heard that Louisiana in great need of health care workers, including DH. But when I checked job postings on monster.com etc- where is none. Probably, I am looking in a wrong websites. My great friend is a DH in North Carolina. She complains that where is practically no jobs in her area. Hopefully, my BS will expand my possibilities to find a job.
Thank you again!
Good luck in your future career.
Mila.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,481 times
There are very few RDH jobs in Tampa also, too many hygiene schools. Average salary $28-$30/hr.
I think hygiene should be a Bachelor's degree, the associates is so misleading. You need a year of prerequiste courses before you can get into the actual program so why not go the extra year and come out with a bachelor's????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay