Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

Ok Here goes, I'm a senior at U-mass Boston and I'm graduating in may. I'm planning on moving to florida, and I'm seriously considering the tampa area. However, i know there are areas that are basically filled with older people, and that is exactly where I do NOT want to move. I'm looking for an area where I can find a job (I'm a criminal justice major, looking to work in probation/parole, or something related to that), I'm also 21, so I want to have fun! Diversity is a HUGE thing for me, I definitely don't want to live somewhere with all old white people (no offense to anyone!), I just am interested in African-American men! I'm also looking for a one bedroom in the range of 500-900 Can someone help me? I've heard that southern tampa is the best for fun, jobs,and diversity, but I'm hoping others can let me know, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times
I think you'll enjoy Tampa. Tampa is not an older crowd, while other parts of Florida are. I.e., St. Pete and the other cities in that peninsula are older crowds. Ft Myers/Cape Coral area is an older crowd, etc.

Tampa is a great city with wonderful culture and diversity. Little bit of everything here, but don't try and compare it to Boston.

500-900 isn't too difficult, but I'm not sure what neighborhoods you'll find that range in, as I haven't been in the apartment market for quite some time now. I doubt you'll see a one bedroom for 900 or under in South Tampa.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
S. Tampa is the area but I have to warn you, there are 'old' ppl there too. Check out apts in 33611. One of our members just moved into The Cove and you can get a 1 bd from $750. You won't be living on the bay for that price though.
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...WT.mc_id=14739

You can ask about ones you are interested in and get opinions. Camden Bayside is also another complex

Tampa is definitely not a retirement community which I think is what you are envisioning when you refer to living around 'old' ppl. There are a few 55+ communities around Tampa but not many. You couldn't live there anyway.

You might want to check out Brandon area too.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-10-2008 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: added

Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Tampa is, and always has been a "working man's town", which is to say that it is NOT a resort city like those on the coasts which tend to attract more retirees and vacationers. So basically, I consider Tampa a city like many cities anywhere in the U.S.A. where you will find a mix of ages. Tampa is also very, very diverse.

While I normally do advocate South Tampa for most folks, keep in mind this is also one of the "priciest" areas of town, and not sure if it's really the vibe and "diverse" place you would like. Perhaps I would suggest the "north Hyde Park" area, which is north of Kennedy, but close to South Tampa and all the other action. Haven't been there in awhile, but last time I was there this area was kind of up-and-coming and more affordable.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
You will want to look in and around South Tampa...check out craigslist and realtor for private condo/townehome rentals..a freind of mine just found a nice large one bedroom right off S. Howard Avenue in Hyde Park/SOHO area for $800/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay