U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,781,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Mach, things have changed a bit. St. Pete has grown a downtown, and Ybor has been invaded by chain stores. Skipper's Smokehouse still rocks, though.
And ordering a salad at a BBQ joint is sacrilege!
I've heard this about Ybor(invaded by chain stores)...but dont see any except maybe Coyote Ugly(but thats been there a while)...what chains have invaded Ybor?
Ive always said a Planet Hollywood, RainForest Cafe or Hard Rock Cafe and the like would really turn things around down there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 03:37 PM

68 posts, read 197,738 times
Quote:
Not a Californian but I'll take a stab at answering anyway.
You're not going to find many progressives in eastern Hillsborough. Those are the people who brought us the psychotic deliciousness of now-State-Representative Ronda Storms (think "Sarah Palin on crack").
Probably Seminole Heights, parts of South Tampa, downtown St Pete (Kenwood or Old Southeast), parts of Clearwater, or Dunedin would be blue enough for you. Maybe Indian Rocks Beach or St. Pete Beach. Overall, Pinellas County trends more progressive than Hillsborough.
There are artists kind of interspersed in the above areas, and a really good full-service (and non-chain) healthy grocery (Nature's Food Patch) in Clearwater. If you don't mind chains Fresh Market's up the road, and there are rumors of a Whole Foods going in in Dunedin.
Something else you might want to check out is wmnf.org, which is sort of a touchstone for the progressive folk in the Bay Area. They have the distinction of having been, for awhile, the only truly listener-supported radio station in the state (because some whacked out state representative-- not the above-mentioned Ms. Storms; Tampa has had plenty of right wing nutjobs in office-- got their funding pulled for playing Iris Dement's Wasteland of the Free. Listeners jumped in and made up the difference-- yay for community radio!). Good music, interesting people, and a community calendar that might give you more information about the area.
Good luck on your relo!
Not true. There are plenty of us here. Hell Hillsborough went blue last week. I DESPISE Rhonda Storms and think Kathy Castor is amazing. Are there RWingers here? Absolutely. But there are in California as well......just look what happened to Prop 8.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 PM

68 posts, read 197,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX8725 View Post
I'm sorry about the ambiguity, I am part Vietnamese and part Chinese but I guess I grouped it altogether as "Asian" because in many Asian marketplaces, neighborhoods in CA a lot of different restaurants/communities/shopping-centers are located very close to each other (i.e. Chinese,Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese).

I guess it should also help if I mentioned that my company's Tampa office is right off W Waters Ave (inbetween the Veterans Expressway and N Dale Mabury Hwy). How long of a commute would this be from Pinellas County/Hillsborough County/Pasco County?
Your office is in Hillsborough County. Depending on what you want, Westchase, Citrus Park, Town n Country and Carrollwood are all very close. It is about a 40 minute drive to Clearwater from there at rush hour. Less in off times. Pasco would be about the same.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,668,157 times
I can't wait to visit Tampa / St. Pete in 2009.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:39 PM

241 posts, read 433,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playball40 View Post
Not true. There are plenty of us here. Hell Hillsborough went blue last week. I DESPISE Rhonda Storms and think Kathy Castor is amazing. Are there RWingers here? Absolutely. But there are in California as well......just look what happened to Prop 8.
YES! I was so thrilled we went blue; as my daughter said, that was almost as good as President-elect Obama winning! Now we'll have to work in the future to KEEP Hillsborough that way!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,547,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playball40 View Post
There are plenty of us here. Hell Hillsborough went blue last week.

It did indeed. Shocked the crap out of an awful lot of people, that's for sure. Probably not the least of which was Brian Blair.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,088 times
Interesting!!! My husband's job is transferring him to San Diego, CA. He originally was born in Long Beach. He is very excited to be going back especially since his family lives there. I personally think you would enjoy Florida. Let me know if you are looking for a home. We recently put our home on the market. It's a 3/2/2. It's cheap!!!! Let me know if you are interested and I can give you some information. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,184,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Actually, not that different unless you are talking about the major cities in California. The smaller cities and towns can be compared to many of Florida's. California is nice, but come on, it's not Shangri-La. Unless maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

I have to agree though with what some others here have said, if you are already setting it up that California is so great compared to here, you are not going to be happy. It is my opinion that you really will NOT be happy if you go live in Thonotosassa with your sister - that is really rural, and the rural areas here are very conservative. You will need to be in one of our larger cities like in the Tampa Bay area, or at least in Sarasota which I mentioned earlier.

We have plenty of artsy things going on, plenty of techie stuff and our beaches are way better than California's (unless you are a surfer, in that case not). Florida is a BARGAIN to live in compared to high-priced California, and a lot of folks from Cali have come here and realized they can really get a bang for their buck here.

Well, untimately it's up to you to decide. I think you need to make a long-term visit or give it a trial run. There are no guarantees in this life, but if one doesn't have a positive attitude going in, a situation won't work.

Good luck to you.
The small beach towns in California are extremely different from the small beach towns in Florida. I have lived in both, Bonny Doon/Santa Cruz area and now Tampa. The people are different, the food is different, the shopping is different, the feel is different. It is not easy for a vegetarian to live here, where as in CA, you can go anywhere and there are options. Actually, Indiana is more vegetarian friendly than Florida, if that tells you anything. Health food stores are not that abundant, and not that good. People are a mix of east coast or southern for the most part and there are also abundant rednecky types. Not that much religious diversity here. Not nearly as many artsy shops as you would find in CA small towns, none of the organic cafes, etc.

I like living here, but it is a FAR stretch from CA. I like it here because its what we make of it, we drive around a lot and dont just stay in our little neighborhood. I'd say in the 4 months we've lived here we've visited more areas than most people who've lived much longer. We go to Dunedin, Clearwater, St Pete, Pass a Grille, Tampa, etc e very weekend to explore, shop and eat out. That makes it fun, and I like the areas, but again, there is little comparison to CA, except for the beach. I would visit for a month or more, or just move temporarily personally if I were you.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,547,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
It is not easy for a vegetarian to live here, where as in CA, you can go anywhere and there are options. Actually, Indiana is more vegetarian friendly than Florida, if that tells you anything. Health food stores are not that abundant, and not that good. People are a mix of east coast or southern for the most part and there are also abundant rednecky types. Not that much religious diversity here.
That's not been my experience at all, Davachka, but it does variy tremendously depending on where in the Bay Area you live. If you're in New Tampa or Westchase (long categorized as Desperate Housewives on steroids), things will look much less diverse or vegetarian/vegan-friendly than, say, Seminole Heights, parts of South Tampa, St. Pete, or old Clearwater. Thonotosassa and the eastern 'burbs definitely have a little bit of bleedover from Polk County (a.k.a. Mississippi-By-The-Mouse).
It also depends on your social group, I think. I've gotten pretty used to cooking vegetarian for parties or potlucks-- I'm not (too much a southerner to deny myself barbecue), but a huge percentage of people I know/run into are.
The religious diversity thing is trickier. People used to figure since I wore a lot of below-knee-length skirts to work and wore my hair in a long braid I was Pentecostal. Uh...not hardly. But I don't wear a pentacle the size of a dinner plate, and I'm a soccer mom, so I'm not stereotypically Pagan. IME, folks see what they expect to see.

ETA: Just noticed: you've only been here four months? Four months after any move you'll know an area well enough to sort of recognize the superficial qualities of a new city, and not be anywhere near finding any depth. It takes a good year, often two, to get that kind of handle on things. Particularly in an area as large-- and yes, diverse-- as Tampa Bay.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 AM

15,793 posts, read 32,998,043 times
Quote:
That's not been my experience at all, Davachka, but it does variy tremendously depending on where in the Bay Area you live. If you're in New Tampa or Westchase (long categorized as Desperate Housewives on steroids), things will look much less diverse or vegetarian/vegan-friendly than, say, Seminole Heights, parts of South Tampa, St. Pete, or old Clearwater. Thonotosassa and the eastern 'burbs definitely have a little bit of bleedover from Polk County (a.k.a. Mississippi-By-The-Mouse).
It also depends on your social group, I think. I've gotten pretty used to cooking vegetarian for parties or potlucks-- I'm not (too much a southerner to deny myself barbecue), but a huge percentage of people I know/run into are.
The religious diversity thing is trickier. People used to figure since I wore a lot of below-knee-length skirts to work and wore my hair in a long braid I was Pentecostal. Uh...not hardly. But I don't wear a pentacle the size of a dinner plate, and I'm a soccer mom, so I'm not stereotypically Pagan. IME, folks see what they expect to see.

ETA: Just noticed: you've only been here four months? Four months after any move you'll know an area well enough to sort of recognize the superficial qualities of a new city, and not be anywhere near finding any depth. It takes a good year, often two, to get that kind of handle on things. Particularly in an area as large-- and yes, diverse-- as Tampa Bay.
Totally agree with you Aconite - it really depends where you are in Florida, same as in California - even California has "rednecky" areas, I've experienced.

Certain cities like St. Pete and Sarasota have a wealth of good eating options, organic, seafood and vegetarian. And the food in some of these places is the best I have eaten anywhere in my travels. And I agree about certain areas of Tampa being quite hip and having wonderful options for dining and culture.

I have met quite a few transplants from California here, and they seem to be pretty happy with the quality of life. You really get a bang for your buck here.

P.S. - To Aconite - I, too, wear long skirts with my hair in a braid (sometimes!) Goes with my "gypsy" persona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or