U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 80,539 times

Advertisements

If you want "country" from Tampa go East not North (Pasco county) or South as you will remain close to water. Here in Florida since storms homeowners ins. up over 500% and seperate high deductable wind ins. up over 200% with additional increases expected now every 6 months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 04:42 PM

320 posts, read 1,473,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachpad
The best area and least crime in Tampa is Davis Island which many associate wth being a real expensive area but I lived there many years ago and there are smaller homes on the island which shouldn't be all that expensive. Try google for Davis Island (Tampa) and see what you get. Sure you can get a little more for your money by traveling out some distance like Pasco county is at least 20 miles North of Tampa and, for your information, the biggest industry in Pasco County is nudist resorts! The problem with going out far if your husband has to travel to work is the price of gasoline!
My husband will be working in Trinity, when he is working in the office. This is why we were considering Pasco/Hernando/Citrus counties. If we were to live South of Trinity, the traffic he would encounter would be pretty bad from my understanding.

As far as gas, my husband actually does very little work in the office. He probably only works in the office for 4-5 months altogether. The remainder of the time, he has to drive to various cities so we figure we will spend the money on gas any way you look at it.

We do not like to be in the middle of everything. We are used to driving distances for everything. We currently drive about an hour to go to the doctor, an hour to got to Church, about 10-15 minutes to grocery shop or get gas. The nearest local shopping and restaurants are 10-15 minutes. The nicer shopping and restaurants are an hour. So you see, we are accustomed to this. Now once we move and adapt to our surroundings, we may not want to do this anymore but for now we are quite used to it and really do not mind.

The nudist resort thing was mentioned to us recently. Please give more info if you can. This is not something that we want to live next door to. It seems like it could have a negative impact on property values , or maybe not.

All jokes aside, we really do not want to live next door to anything like this and it never occured to me that this was something we had to watch out for.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:18 PM

110 posts, read 339,790 times
Have you ever seen the show "Simple Life" with Paris Hilton? A few years back they went to a nudist colony in Pasco and ever since, people think the whole county is covered in them. Not true. I've been there 2 years and couldn't tell you where one is located.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,217 times
Default Pristine Place

Here is the official Pristine Place website....

http://www.pristineplace.net/index.php (broken link)

Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
Default Citrus County

Hi Jewels,
I live in Citrus County and really like it. I moved here from Ohio and there are many people here from KY, PA, OH, VA, WVA, etc. The Pine Ridge area you mentioned is very nice and has what are called mini farms. I believe the lots are up to 5 acres. We living in Citrus Springs and while I'm in a very quiet neighborhood that is not very poplulated and the prices of the homes are reasonable you would be pretty far from Tampa. It would be a long commute for your husband. I work in the Crystal River area which is near Homosassa Springs. I like all three areas but one site that I would definately check out before moving "anywhere" in Florida is www.fdle.com to check out where any sexual offenders or child predators live. If you go through a realtor there is a small print recommendation that you check out that site before purchasing a home but they don't have to mention it to you because it's in print on the contract. I don't have small children anymore but I do have a grandaughter that comes to visit. Plus, I don't want sickos for neighbors. You may want to also check if trailers (mobile homes) are allowed in the area too. Some people really like mobile homes but they don't hold up in hurricanes and I wouldn't want to spend good money on a beautiful home and have a mobile home built right across the street from me or next door. I also recommend checking out www.familywatchdog.us (broken link) for predators also. My husband is a former police officer so we are not paranoid but strive to be aware of these things.
God bless you in your search! FL is really nice and a great place to fish. There is a lot of wild life in Homossassa Springs (manatees, sea turtles, etc) out on the water. No malls though. :>(
Best wishes.

Last edited by fishybeachbum; 10-30-2006 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: to add underlining and color

Old 11-20-2006, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,426 times
Default If you havent purchased yet..

If you have not purchased yet.. consider East Linden Estates w/ it being a buyers market now there are homes under 300,000. It is an established community. The lots are half acre plus and it is just off the suncoast pky at county line rd.. HOA fee 125 per year not month like the masterplanned communities... If you want a ton of kids and dont mind zero lot line homes master planned are great ie. trinity, sterling hill, want larger lots nice homes may need some modernizing at the 275,000.price. East Linden is great..Barony woods, West linden, Autumn oaks.. all in same area.. My Husband comutes to Tampa daily for work and he says the suncoast is fine until just past Citris pk mall exit.. If Looking close to 19 remember it would add a good 20 minutes to your commute once you get off the suncoast.. We used to live on Hernando Beach and commute down county line rd added 20 min to his commute. Good luck.. Hernando County does have alot to offer.. the weeki wachee river is beautiful if you like to kayak or have a sm boat.. also the gulf of mexico.. lots of parks and not quite as hectic busy as tampa.. and hopefully w the realestate market cooling growth here will slow..

Last edited by Happy in Spring Hill; 11-20-2006 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-20-2006, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 11,438 times
I Am ***** And Would Like To Help You Find What You Need, I Have To Tell You There Are A Lot Of New Residences Or Communities Building Right Now At Very Good Prices...if You Want I Can Help You...is Not Only My Job But My Service To Help You Get The Best You Can Afford...i Am Very Possitive I Will Find The Right Place For Your Family

Take Care

***** M.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:13 PM

185 posts, read 651,271 times
I'd keep an open mind. You're near some fairly affordable area with beach access.

I don't know, but it seems you might have to travel and incur expense to find your acres and acres of land.

It sure is peaceful looking out over the Gulf. Just a thought.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM

185 posts, read 651,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36 View Post
My husband will be working in Trinity, when he is working in the office. This is why we were considering Pasco/Hernando/Citrus counties. If we were to live South of Trinity, the traffic he would encounter would be pretty bad from my understanding.

As far as gas, my husband actually does very little work in the office. He probably only works in the office for 4-5 months altogether. The remainder of the time, he has to drive to various cities so we figure we will spend the money on gas any way you look at it.

We do not like to be in the middle of everything. We are used to driving distances for everything. We currently drive about an hour to go to the doctor, an hour to got to Church, about 10-15 minutes to grocery shop or get gas. The nearest local shopping and restaurants are 10-15 minutes. The nicer shopping and restaurants are an hour. So you see, we are accustomed to this. Now once we move and adapt to our surroundings, we may not want to do this anymore but for now we are quite used to it and really do not mind.

The nudist resort thing was mentioned to us recently. Please give more info if you can. This is not something that we want to live next door to. It seems like it could have a negative impact on property values , or maybe not.

All jokes aside, we really do not want to live next door to anything like this and it never occured to me that this was something we had to watch out for.
You might find driving 10-15 minutes doesn't get you as far as it would in Ky.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:05 AM

53 posts, read 245,869 times
Default Hernando and Citrus Detailed Info

You will pay a little lower insurance in Hernando, but in Citrus you need to look up high meaning - elevated land, or you will pay flood. Stay away from the river in Citrus because they often get flooded. My father moved from Tampa to Inverness to take over the Police Academy and he loves it. It is rural and absolutely beautifiul. We moved here from Arkansas, and it reminds us of home. It has rolling hills, and sprawling oaks. If you go to Citrus, I would suggest Inverness, but again, look for properties that are on those rolling hills just outside of the town and near the interstate. Also, Inverness has a pretty quaint downtown. (low crime). Citrus has impact fees.

In Hernando, you have Brooksville, which is similar to Inverness but much closer to Trinity with wide open spaces. It is growing, so anything you buy will be a good investment. It is quite beautiful. There is a community called Southern Hills that is built around a breathtaking golf course. Right now, you can get a pretty good deal around there with a little bit if land (1-2 acres). The town has rolling hills and hundred year old live oaks throughout. The best thing about Brooksville is that it has the veterans, a toll road that will get you to Trinity in 15 minutes or so. Now stay away from I-75 because eventually there will be a mall going there, so make sure to ask your realtor what future development is in store for the place you like.

Note: Stay away from places like Dade City and Zephyrhills if you want to avoid higher crime. These two areas have the lowest price housing with the highest rates of property crime for their county. I am not opposed to these towns but you stated that you wanted a low crime area. Same goes for Port Richey, Holiday, and Spring Hill as you will pay insurance, which you should because you are close to the oceon, and there is a lot of drug crime, and such. (just a few of the towns that have higher rates of criminal activity. To see more, you can check out the FDLE and inquire about these stats).

All this information is public information, you can look at the value of existing homes on the county's property appraisers site to see how much the previous owner paid. Homes built in 2004 or later are up to the latest hurricane codes. We live in New Tampa and I am not a realtor, but a criminological reseacher, so there is no special reason to point you the wrong way. I just know how it is to come to a new state and not know what is going on. It is nice to have honest advice to help you through the transition.

helpful websites:
http://www.floridamoves.com/
http://www.co.hernando.fl.us/pa/
http://www.pa.citrus.fl.us/
http://appraiser.pascogov.com/
http://www.hcpafl.org/www/index.shtml (broken link)
http://www.dos.state.fl.us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay