U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:08 PM

320 posts, read 1,474,061 times

Advertisements

Due to my husband's job, we are going to be relocating from Kentucky to the Tampa area. My husband will be working in the Trinity area. I have been trying to research the various neighborhoods in the area but it is difficult to do online. I could really use advice as to what areas to stay away from, and which are good areas.

Let me tell you about where we currently live to help you in advising us. We currently live in a fairly small town with a very low crime rate. It is very safe and secure feeling here, and everyone knows everyone. I really like living in this atmosphere. Our subdivision is a new subdivision in the country. All lots are between 1-5 acres. Our home is 2100+ s.f. Homes like ours sell for about $189K here. We really like the country setting, trees, etc.

The houses in Florida are much more expensive than in KY. We know we will have to pay more for a house there but we don't want to go to much higher. My husband is having a hard time accepting the house prices in the FL area. Someone recently told him that if he was willing to drive 35-45 miles to work, that we could get a nice home closer to the prices we are accustomed and more similar to the type of neighborhood we are used to. We would like to stay below $325K. We were told that by going out to Spring Hill, Brooksville, or Homosassa that we could probably get a new house that meets our needs on at least a half acre lot between $212K-$260K.

Are these areas good? What is the crime rate like? What are the housing values doing?

I have been told that Pasco county is a good county to live and that Hernando is not - why is that? What about Citrus county? Is there a big difference in taxing values and insurance rates between each of these counties?

Any advice, or suggestions on areas to look for a home or subdivisions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2006, 05:27 PM

110 posts, read 655,314 times
Hmmm ... if you really want a large lot, you may have to go that far north. However, I wouldn't recommend going north of Pasco County if you're commuting to Tampa. While the lots are small, there are some nice treed lots with views of ponds in Land O Lakes, for example. It's a nice laid-back, family-oriented area that is small-town in nature. We were in a development called Grand Oaks and many homes are on conservation lots - that might serve you while allowing better access to Tampa.

- R&K

Old 06-09-2006, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. Why wouldn't you recommend moving north of Pasco county? Is there a lot of traffic commuting to the Trinity area from that direction?

I have been looking at area towns/cities, subdivisions, and houses all day online and I think I am more confused now than ever. I have made absolutely no progress in narrowing my search.

Has anyone heard of any of these subdivisions:

Sterling Hill, Spring Hill, Spring Ridge, Sugarmill Woods, Suncoast Lakes, Asbel Creek, Green Hammock, Canterbury Lake Estates, Pine Ridge @ Sulfur Creek

Are they good, bad, okay? Any better thatn others? Are there others that anyone wants to recommend?

Old 06-10-2006, 12:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,348,650 times
Hi Jewels Pasco and Land o lakes are nice. Right now the housing market is droping here. With the price of gas 2.89 and the traffic I don't think your husband would enjoy the compute. Also in the summer here we get real heavy rain. I do not know much about spring hill etc. However spring hill has alot of sink holes. You might be wise to rent for 6months to a year near his job and get the feel for what you really like. I heard trinity is nice and they have alot of good schools etc. Why not visit and look the situation over.
Grand Oaks is near me and is real nice also.
judy

Old 06-10-2006, 01:25 PM

Thanks, Judy.

My husband is currenlty working in Florida and we are renting a condo in NPR. I plan to visit soon to look around. Trinity is very nice but probably out of our budget. His boss took him looking a while back and the homes seemed to be $500k plus. We have heard a lot about Land O' Lakes, and I have heard several people mention the Grand Oaks neighborhood. From all accounts, it is very nice in that area.

Our problem is that my husband has become very accustomed to the large lots we have in our current neighborhood, and the prices as well. I am accustomed to having at least 2100 sf of living space and I prefer new or at least newer. If we put my husband's requirements together with mine - I don't think we can even afford Land O' Lakes.

My husband just went to look at a couple of houses. One in Orchard Park in Spring Hill. It was nice size with a pool. They were asking around $269k. I don't know if this is good for that neighborhood or not. Problem I see with the house is that it was built in 1990 and will need updating and probably will start to need repairs. My husband is NOT a handy man of any type so that means I live with any problems that arise, or we have to contract out for the repairs which means more money.

He also went to look at a couple of new houses in the Trillium neighborhood in Brooksville. The houses are new, kind of nice, large and inexpensive ($230-235k). Of course, my husband says the area (still under construction mind you) is dull - lacks character. He also said it is more out of the way than Spring Hill and he probably wouldn't want to drive that far. I sort of knew he whould change his mind about driving after he started driving out to some of these places. However, I don't see any other way for us to both get what we want in a house. Of course, I don't know if these are good prices for Brooksville, or what crime is like, etc. so there may actually be other reasons not to live there, I am just not sure yet.

I just came across another home in the Sterling Hills subd. in Spring Hill. My husband is going to look at it next. It looks nice but it did not give the sf, or lot size in the listing. It is new and they are asking $257K.

I really know nothing about sink holes. What causes them? Too much rain? Drought like conditions? How do you recognize if there is a sink hole problem? What do you do about sink holes?

Old 06-21-2006, 11:40 PM

110 posts, read 339,924 times
Jewels - I'll try to chime in with what I know. We live just south of NPR in Holiday, west of US 19 in a subdivision called Key Vista. Very nice, gated, safe, lots of kids, etc. House prices are anywhere from low 2's to upper 4's. Pasco taxes are lower relative to Pinellas and Hillsborough. No state income tax takes some of the sting out of higher housing.

If you're looking for a decent commute, there should be plenty of places along SR 54 that should suite your needs. Lots of new subdivisions coming online but beware of the house flippers who bought and are trying to sell for $100k more. Look here for recent sales, etc. removed

I'd beware of anything too far north of southern Hernando. If your husband is working in Trinity, he's probably going to commute down the Suncoast Parkway or US19. Dry run the commute from wherever you're looking because it can be bad at times.

The Tampa Tribune has a decent site with general info about areas. Note the bottom right corner "crime tracker" section.

http://community.tbo.com/ (broken link)

Sink holes. Supposedly Pasco county has no more sink holes than any other counties. What we do have are lots of advertisements for sinkhole attorney's who've driven up the cost of insurance. Supposedly insurance reform will help alleviate some of that pain. I believe they're caused by a variety of things but being near the coast, underground aquaducts, bad luck, etc. can cause them. If you google "florida sinkhole" you'll get better info.

Let me know if I can help more. Good luck!

Last edited by Marka; 06-22-2006 at 03:06 AM..

Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 AM

Cltsig,

Thanks for the info. This is the type of info I am looking for. I am trying to get a feel for the area and the various subdivisions and could really use some subjective advice with regards to the personal perception of the people living in the area. I can get the objective and fluff from the realtors. I want the info the realtors are not allowed to provide by law because it may appear that they are practicing "steering".

My husband will be working in Trinity so we are looking at the area around Trinity; including points East and West, as well as North. We live in rural KY and like living in rural KY so we would like to be in an area that is as close to being like KY as possible. We can drive to restaurants and entertainment, we are not interested in being in the middle of everything. We like our home to be like a retreat; an escape from everything.

My husband wants to stay between $200-$300k as far as price goes. He really doesn't want to go as high as $300k.

We have looked online at Trinity and Land O' Lakes. Both areas are really nice but homes seem to be built so close to each other, especially in Trinity. They are also more expensive. It seems that we can get a lot more for our money by going North a bit. Other areas we are looking are Hudson, NPR closest to Trinity, Wesley Capel, Zephyrhills, Odessa... What are your opinions of these areas.

My husband is not opposed to commuting 30-60 miles to work, so we have expanded our search to Hernando and Citrus County. Both are more rural and have a small town feel. Prices are cheaper. We are trying to determine what neighborhoods would best suit us but haven't really been able to get much advice on this. Maybe you could help me and the others on here considering this area.

I would like more info on Sterling Hills, Pristine Place, Glen Lakes, Seven Hills, Silverthorn, Regency Oaks, The Oaks, Orchard Park, Rainbow Woods, Spring Hill and Woodland Waters. We have also been considering Trillium, Villages of Avalon, and Sherman Hills.

I would like to know if these communities are gated or not, deed restricted or not, any crime problems, do any have more of a problem with sinkholes than others, are any having a problem with holding their property values, what is the general train of thought on these communities for people living in the area. Some of these neighborhoods are divided in to additional parts, is a particular part or section better than others? Is it better to have a Spring Hill address, or a Brooksville address - does it matter?

We are also considering Sugarmill Woods but again what section, or does it matter.

I just came across homes in your neighborhood last night and was going to ask about it on here so I appreciate you posting about it. You answered my questions with out even knowing it.

What are your thoughts on a new home versus an older home? We can't determine if we should go with a new home in a new neighborhood, or go with an older home. New is nice and there are a lot of decent size new homes around $220-250K. New would not have a pool, of course I have considered checking to see what the possibilty would be of having a pool added. New also tends to be plain. Of course, a lot of the new also come with all of the appliances (including washer and dryer) which is nice. An older home sometimes allows you to get more home for your money and is easier to find with an inground pool but then there is the issue of updating, repairs and more maintance. I read on here that an older home would likely cost more for insurance too. Any thoughts?

kimwick has also been helpful and seems knowledgeble about the area. If you read over this and have any advice, I would love to hear your thoughts too.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM

110 posts, read 339,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels36
I want the info the realtors are not allowed to provide by law because it may appear that they are practicing "steering".
-You're right there, realtors will steer. I've only lived in the area 2 years so I'm no expert, but I did help my mother-in-law search and my sister-in-law moved here from KC, so I have some knowledgel. You may want to look at the area near I-75 and SR54/SR52. Lots of new development, nicer strip plazas, new shopping, close to I-75.
Quote:
My husband will be working in Trinity so we are looking at the area around Trinity. We live in rural KY and like living in rural KY so we would like to be in an area that is as close to being like KY as possible.
-If you want rural, the newer subdivisions won't be to your liking. Houses on top of houses. If you go with a place in the country, you're looking at an older house (see below).
Quote:
My husband wants to stay between $200-$300k as far as price goes. He really doesn't want to go as high as $300k.
-That's possible. Prices are slipping somewhat, which is good for everybody.
Quote:
We have looked online at Trinity and Land O' Lakes. It seems that we can get a lot more for our money by going North a bit. Other areas we are looking are Hudson, NPR closest to Trinity, Wesley Capel, Zephyrhills, Odessa... What are your opinions of these areas.
-I'm not intimately familiar with those areas, but it seems to be nice from what little I do know. Bear in mind the closer to the Suncoast Hwy or I-75, the more expensive it will be. Trinity is a little too "planned" for my liking, but I'm sure it's nice.
Quote:
My husband is not opposed to commuting 30-60 miles to work, so we have expanded our search to Hernando and Citrus County. Both are more rural and have a small town feel. Prices are cheaper. Maybe you could help me and the others on here considering this area.
-All I really know about Hernando and Citrus I've learned from riding my motorcycle up there. Lots of rural areas, very beautiful (pine trees, etc), definitely better prices but that comes at the expense of being far away from things (which may be a good thing for you).
Quote:
I would like more info on <cut for length>.
-I don't know anything about specific subdivisions, sorry.
Quote:
Is it better to have a Spring Hill address, or a Brooksville address - does it matter?
-Again, no clue here. You're pretty far up there away from the hustle and bustle. Yeah, there are Walmarts and an occasional Publix, but you might find yourself venturing into Pasco and Pinellas for shopping. My wife and I love Costco but that's in Clearwater, so even from Holiday we travel south. Better shopping - clothes, furniture, etc. - and restaurants down south. This is a generalization, but that's my take on it.
Quote:
I just came across homes in your neighborhood last night and was going to ask about it on here so I appreciate you posting about it. You answered my questions with out even knowing it.
-Glad to help. It's a nice neighborhood, prices are dropping and interest rates are historically low, so this might be a sweet spot. Of course that's true across FL, some more so that others.
Quote:
What are your thoughts on a new home versus an older home? W New is nice and there are a lot of decent size new homes around $220-250K. New would not have a pool, of course I have considered checking to see what the possibilty would be of having a pool added. I read on here that an older home would likely cost more for insurance too. Any thoughts?
-I prefer new homes. Nicer, newer appliances (AC = $5k to replace, water heater $500-1000,etc), better use of space, and generally nicer. Our current house has a certain type of roof that helps our insurance premiums. I'm not up on the terminology, but it has 4 sides as opposed to the normal 2 w/overhangs, so in theory a hurricane is less likely to rip off the roof because it's more like a pyrmaid than a kite. Thats what State Farm told us anyway. Our house also has a reinforced garage door, which is one of the weakest links.

Also, never buy a wood frame house. Moisture, termites will do it in. We looked at houses and SF said $6k to cover wood vs $2k for block. Little Piggies I guess. Go to the Pasco Cty appriasers website (link above was removed) and it will show construction.

Regarding pools, I personally don't want the upkeep and expense of a pool. If your neighborhood has one, I'd opt for that. If not, and you decide to have one installed, get references. A lady across the pond from me had one installed that sat in a partially completed state for about 6 months. Not sure where to steer you there, but as with anything, do some research.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM

16 posts, read 80,586 times
Default Davis Island in Tampa/Pasco county see message

The best area and least crime in Tampa is Davis Island which many associate wth being a real expensive area but I lived there many years ago and there are smaller homes on the island which shouldn't be all that expensive. Try google for Davis Island (Tampa) and see what you get. Sure you can get a little more for your money by traveling out some distance like Pasco county is at least 20 miles North of Tampa and, for your information, the biggest industry in Pasco County is nudist resorts! The problem with going out far if your husband has to travel to work is the price of gasoline!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 PM

808 posts, read 3,046,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltsig
- Our current house has a certain type of roof that helps our insurance premiums. I'm not up on the terminology, but it has 4 sides as opposed to the normal 2 w/overhangs, so in theory a hurricane is less likely to rip off the roof because it's more like a pyrmaid than a kite. Thats what State Farm told us anyway. Our house also has a reinforced garage door, which is one of the weakest links.

Hip roof is the term you were thinking. Sometimes called hip gabled roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay