U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM

12,325 posts, read 19,940,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberchrist33 View Post
Liberals/Demo were right about Vietnam, it was Kennedy that stated:
U.S. objectives and concept of operations [are] to prevent communist domination of South Vietnam; to create in that country a viable and increasingly democratic society, and to initiate, on an accelerated basis, a series of mutually supporting actions of a military, political, economic, psychological, and covert character designed to achieve this objective.[6] LBJ wasn’t much better. It took a Republican, Nixon, to get us out of that situation. The authorization for the use of force in Iraq was voted by the Senate, with a vote of 77 to 23, and the House of Representatives by a vote of 296 to 133. Corporations provide jobs for persons that feel that the government doesn’t owe them a living. Normal persons go into business to make money, not to be eleemosynary. That’s how capitalism works. And, it does work, when you apply it correctly, and not let the loony liberals force banks to make high risk loans to low income individuals, showing “welfare benefits” as sources of income.

Civil rights? Now, this is a good one. Glad that you asked. Abraham Lincoln became the first Republican to win the presidency, and he ran on a platform of halting the spread of slavery. The Republican Party originally counted many blacks within its ranks.

Following the Civil War, twenty-two blacks – thirteen of them ex-slaves – were elected to Congress, all as Republicans. The first black democrat was not elected to Congress until 1934, from the state of Illinois . The first black congressional Democrat form a Southern state was not elected until 1973.

How many blacks know that blacks founded the Texas Republican Party? On July 4, 1867, in Huston , Texas, 150 Blacks, and 20 whites formed the party. No, not the Black Texas Republican Party, they founded the Texas Republican Party.

Emancipation? Republican President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War. In 1865, the Thirteenth Amendment emancipating the slaves was passed with 100 percent of Republicans (88 of 88 in the House, 30 of 30 in the Senate) voting for it. Only 23 percent of Democrats (16 of 66 in the House, 3 of 8 in the Senate) voted for it.

Jim Crow laws? Between 1870 and 1875, the Republican Congress passed many pro-black civil rights laws. But in 1876, Democrats took control of the House, and no further race-based civil rights laws passed until 1957 (Eisenhower, a republican). In 1892, Democrats gained control of the House, the Senate, and the White House, and repealed all the Republican-passed civil rights laws. That enabled Southern Democrats to pass the Jim Crow Laws, poll taxes, literacy tests, and so on, in their individual states.

How man blacks know that only 64 percent of Democrats in congress voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act (153 for 91 against in the House; and 46 for, 21 against in the Senate)? And that 80 percent of Republicans (136 for, 35 against in the House; and 27 for, 6 against in the Senate) voted for the 1964 Act?

Woman’s rights? Okay, this never, ever ceases to mystify me. Most woman’s rights advocates believe that woman shouldn’t get married, and have children. That it’s a patriotically society. But, let me ask you this, if you had a daughter, would you want her to “financial support” her husband? What about good ole Gloria Steinem? She was in committed relationships, throughout her entire feminist life, and finally finished it off, but marrying a man, that was financially sound. Fortunately, for her, he died on two years, after they married, so she’s sitting on easy street now. And, what about all those woman that listen to her stupid rhetoric, they’re alone, poor, and bitter, and they are pissed that she took the traditional route. I’ve never understood wanting equal rights, when we women are the stronger sex.

Workers’ rights? I’m old school, the only right you have is to come to work, do your job, mind your business, and hope that paycheck clears. I work with many persons that are liberal, and feel that the corporation “owes” them something, just for showing up. Those are the ones that don’t put out as much work, as we kool-aid drinking, wingnuts.
Following Lyndon Johnson's "betrayal" of conservative racist Southern Democrats when he signed civil rights legislation, closed minded bigotted Southern Democrats started running to the Republican Party as a punishment to the Democratic party. That shift occured over the remainder of the 60's, the 70's and culminated with the election of Reagan in 1980.
to suggest that anything that happened in the Republican Party pre Johnson is applicable to the Republican Party today is foolish and inaccurate.
In the end, it's mostly been conservative ideas that have proven to be wrong historically, no matter which party they represented at the time.
Without liberal and progressive ideas and people in our history, women would not be voting, A.A.'s would still be slaves in many states, children would be working in factories, our environment would be more polluted than it is, etc. The history of America has been one of progress toward to a better tomorrow, equality and a more perfect union. Without that history, we would be nothing. The advent of neo-conservatism in the 80's has led an entire generation of Americans to believe that it's their ideals that have been responsible for driving this country toward success for more than 2 centuries and that's simply not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

13 posts, read 66,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Following Lyndon Johnson's "betrayal" of conservative racist Southern Democrats when he signed civil rights legislation, closed minded bigotted Southern Democrats started running to the Republican Party as a punishment to the Democratic party. That shift occured over the remainder of the 60's, the 70's and culminated with the election of Reagan in 1980.
to suggest that anything that happened in the Republican Party pre Johnson is applicable to the Republican Party today is foolish and inaccurate.
In the end, it's mostly been conservative ideas that have proven to be wrong historically, no matter which party they represented at the time.
Without liberal and progressive ideas and people in our history, women would not be voting, A.A.'s would still be slaves in many states, children would be working in factories, our environment would be more polluted than it is, etc. The history of America has been one of progress toward to a better tomorrow, equality and a more perfect union. Without that history, we would be nothing. The advent of neo-conservatism in the 80's has led an entire generation of Americans to believe that it's their ideals that have been responsible for driving this country toward success for more than 2 centuries and that's simply not true.

The republicans started switching to the Democratic party, during the FDR administration, and the initiactive (terrible word for what it was) of “The New Deal”, or as I like to refer to it, as “the Raw Deal”.

I don’t know what you mean, by this sentence. Are you saying that all that the Republican party did, for black civil rights, including the Civil War, and the Civil rights Act of 1957, and 1960 that were signed into law by Eisenhower. Both acts constituted the first significant civil rights acts since the 1870s, can not be applied today? I have never heard that the Republican party’s stance of civil rights has changed. If it has, please advise; because I think I missed that news flash. For you to suggest that anything that happened in the Republican Party (including, but not limited to; the Civil War) is not applicable to the Republican Party of today, is not only foolish, and inaccurate, but is down right ludicrous.

Okay, you’ll need to give me actual facts, regarding this statement. Fiscal conservatism, supply-side economics, national defense. Family values. Yeah, I can see were they are historically wrong. I guess you have yet to read Ann Coulter’s new book, “Guilty: Liberal Victims, and their assault on America”. She devotes all of Chapter 2, on how wrong conservative values, can be.

Aside from Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, and myself, most woman are liberals, so maybe they shouldn’t be voting. What the hell are A.A’s? Do you mean blacks? Okay, now you are just talking crazy. Abraham Lincoln was far from being a progressive, in fact, he wasn’t even an abolitionist, because abolitionists, at the time, were akin to what liberals are, today. Lincoln, and Fredrick Douglass were concerned about what the freed blacks would do, after they were emancipated, and that emancipation should take into consideration, education, and training, and finding house, for the freed blacks. Abolitionists, just wanted them to be freed, and did not have a coherent notion of what to do with them, once they were freed.

Next thing you’ll be telling me, is that Margaret Sanger was a great American. Hey, have you ever heard of the word “eugenics”? No, google Margaret, and eugenics, and get a little education. Even Alice Paul was opposed to Abortion, Mary Meedhan talked about Alice Paul’s stance on abortion, and she wrote, “When I worked with Alice Paul I asked her about the abortion question — point blank. She said directly, "Abortion is just another way of exploiting women." Then she went on to explain that the National Woman's Party was organized for the benefit of women. Killing female babies was no way to benefit or protect women.”

And, I hate to break it to you, but there are children that are still working in factories. You can start working, at the age of 14 years, with parent permission. Children, younger that that, are working in farms, still today.

I guess you have yet to read the information, published by the EPA that indicates that our air, and water, are cleaner; now, then they have every been, except, of course, the Hudson, but we have GE, and Jeffrey Imelt to thank for that, a big Democrat contributor. Yeah, Demos!

The History of American has been, as I quote: “We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

And, I’m not sure what you mean by “equality”. We are not equal, but any means, we are all different, and the chance of equality, does not guarantee equal results, which is why you liberals find so hard to understand.

As the definition of neoconservatism is, “Neoconservatism is a political philosophy that emerged in the United States. Its key distinction is in international affairs, where it espouses an interventionist approach that seeks to defend what neo-conservatives deem as national interests. In addition, unlike traditional conservatives, neoconservatives are comfortable with a minimally-bureaucratic welfare state; and, while generally supportive of free markets, they are willing to interfere for overriding social purposes.” This philosophy has served our country very well. You need to read, Larry Elders, “Showdown”. You can tell when country prospers, by their Free-Market, capitalistic mentality. Are you telling me that if you had billions of dollars, you would give it all to the poor, or re-invest that money, into corporations, to make more money, and then hid those profits if tax-shelters, in order to protect them from the tax man, and thereby saving it for your future children, just like the Kennedys, and Barbara Streisand, and Micheal Moore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or