U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 04:13 PM

227 posts, read 755,478 times

Advertisements

Just starting to research moving to Tampa...

Can current residents give me an idea of which parts of town to start to research.

I'm looking for a newer home (preferably less than 5 years old)

Most likely in the 250K range (although if a bank will loan me more I'd be capable of going up to the 300K range.) I'm currently in the low to mid 80K income range and increase 3% per yr. with expected income of 140K within 5 years.

I would like to be somewhat close to the Tampa airport, but not a determining factor.

Obviously safe neighborhoods, descent schools etc..

How is the crime in Tampa compared to what I've heard about Daytona, Ft. Myers etc. I know all cities have crime, including the high crime in my city, but specifically are there areas of Tampa to flat out avoid. I'd assume there is some sort of "hood" near downtown.

My wife likes the sun and the water/beach. I like those and I like a good beach bar, nice restaurants. Anything that feels like a vacation getaway for a night.

We're in our early 30's, but not so much into clubs or art. We're more into sports and boating. We also have a newborn baby so we're looking for nice family neighborhoods/suberbs.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,597,441 times
The newer homes in the area are going to be in the far north (New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, a few in Lutz, and Land O Lakes), the far south (Riverview, Gibsonton, Ruskin, Lithia, Apollo Beach), and some to the east (Plant City, Ruskin, Thonotosassa). Each of these areas has homes in the $250K range, but unfortunately are not close to the airport.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,812,558 times
I personally live in carrollwood and love it. were about 30-40 minutes from clearwater beach, its a great area with pretty low crime and overall pretty well kept. there are plenty of houses in the 250k range, espessially with the housing market the way it is.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 PM

10 posts, read 120,586 times
I was sick of winter at one time as well. I moved from the northeast to New Tampa about 6 years ago..Did research for more than a year before, looked at many homes, and purchased before the 'boom' really went into effect. My wife and I love New Tampa. Our home is in Arbor Greene, which is a beautiful master planned community. While I can't say its close to the airport, I've gotten there in 20-25 minutes on EARLY morning trips. Traffic in New Tampa certainly can be an issue. It has improved over the years, but then again there are traffic issues almost everywhere in the Tampa area, because of the population increase over the past 5-10 years. The demand for good roads far outweighs the supply, and availability. I've sat just as long on Dale Mabry in Carrolwood, and RTE 60 in Brandon in the am, as I have on Bruce B Downs in New Tampa. Traffic discussions about areas in and around Tampa will remain a consistent theme on this forum.

There are many young families in my community which does have beautiful facilities, and manned gated security. New Tampa consistently scores as one of the safest neighborhoods in the Tampa area, and Arbor Greene is one of the safest in New Tampa. We do have a very engaged HOA, which I happen to like. It keeps your neighbors from changing out their car engine in their front yards !! Also, it does assist in providing some consistency in real estate value.

Pride Elementary School is within a mile and Louis Benito Middle School is even closer. Wharton High School is within 5 miles and buses pick up in Arbor Greene. Shopping of every kind is within 5 miles too!! All of the big box home stores, Supermarkets, Target, Walmart, JC Pennys, Macys and Dillards, dining choices are overwhelming and good, from chains to Mom and Pops..

I was in your position 6-7 years ago now, and I didn't use this forum. I'm not sure it existed ?? I would suggest this, come to Tampa, drive through the areas mentioned here, and see how they feel to you..There are Pro Football players, Pro Hockey players and Pro Coaches who can afford to live anywhere in the Tampa area, and they live within my neighborhood...Its probably a little older (7-10 years) than the preference stated in your message, but there are trees, parks and greenery, and there are homes for sale in your price range.

Good luck with your search.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:38 AM

409 posts, read 1,397,074 times
Try looking into the Palm Harbor/East Lake area. Nice area, lower crime, A rated schools, close to the gulf, 20-25 mins from the airport.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 48,030 times
If you want to travel to other parts of Tampa then Wesley Chapel or New Tampa are nice areas, very quiet and secluded for the most part. Personally I would look in the Carrollwood and North Dale areas, very close to most things and fairly decent areas. You'll have pockets of crime in most places you go but overall it's pretty safe here. I feel much safer then the 27 years I spent growing up in New York. Just don't venture into certain parts of St Pete, i'm sorry but its kinda bad over there...

Old 12-02-2008, 06:28 PM

104 posts, read 340,835 times
All of the areas mentioned above could fit the bill. I am surprised no one mentioned the Westchase area which is close to the airport and offers newer homes some of which are in the $250K range. Carrollwood does have some nice areas as well and some pocket neighborhoods that are worth checking out. My favorites are Hidden Oaks and Whispering Oaks which are right off Dale Mabry,,,which provides easy access to the airport and the rest of the city.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,721 times
I agree that Westchase is a great area and pretty close to the airport. You also may want to consider Feather Sound, which is an upscale community just over the bridge on the St. Pete/Clearwater side. That way, you would still be 15 minutes from the airport and about 20-25 minutes from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or