U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 PM

86 posts, read 190,497 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

This thread is going to sound like a repeat of what all of us out-of-staters are looking for. My family is planning to move to FL in June 2009. We have spent countless hours researching areas, but are always drawn to the Tampa area. We are willing to move within an hour of Tampa, as my husband will need to be near the city for work. I am currently a stay-at-home mother, so we only have one income. We have been pre-approved for a mortgage of around $110,000. After reading others who can spend much more on a home, I am worried sick! Are there any areas there that we can afford and are safe with good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 PM

198 posts, read 889,754 times
with only a 110K budget, you will have to compromise if you want to live close. The farther away from tampa, the prices will drop. You will have to decide how far your husband really wants to drive. If you go north, the suncoast parkway makes driving to tampa much nicer as its a limted access toll road. You can find homes for less than 110K up in spring hill, and other areas north of tampa. As for schools, there ok, some are better than others. You can use this site to help your research:

Florida School Performance Maps

Please be patient as this site loads lots of data and can be slow, so dont panic click. Make sure to turn on the middle or high schools if you kids are older.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the help. I will certainly check out the link for the school information. Do you happen to know much about the Zephyrhills area? Someone mentioned that to us to check out too.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,888,248 times
Zephyrhills is n. of Tampa. If you are going to be working in Tampa, it is a pretty far drive. Check out Riverview. You can get a fairly new house for a lot less $$ and the drive to Tpa is more like 30 - 40 min depending on where in Tpa your DH is working.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,343,416 times
You can look at the Plant city area. There are some inexpensive houses scattered around that are not necessarily in "Ghetto Areas". Plant city is an Easy commute to Tampa since I-4 to the east is no where as busy as the I-75/I-275 corridors. Small town feel but only 25 minutes to the heart of Downtown Tampa.

Nav

Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM

104 posts, read 340,509 times
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can find in this day and age for around $100K in Tampa. Definitely check out the Northern Suburb areas as well as Brandon/Riverview. If you are looking for a rural environment East Hillsborough is very affordable. In this day and age Short Sales and Foreclosures can get you a significant discount on home properties vs what they were a few years ago. Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 12-04-2008 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: send them a DM offering the list

Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 PM

37 posts, read 168,502 times
110,000 won't get you much around the bay area. But many sellers are desperate to sell, and this area has been as hard hit as any by the credit crunch. Its truly a buyers market. Try watching the local Tampa Tribune online classified realty listings, and it'll give you a good idea of the local prices.
The URL is tbo.com

Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 AM

Thanks to all for your input. I am following up on all areas and am looking forward to my upcoming trips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or