Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 19,916 times

Advertisements

Ok, my husband is looking at a potential job in Largo. I am a native Floridian and he lived there about 10 years before we moved to TN 3 years ago. We've lived in several areas including Tampa and Plant City but we are not as familiar with Pinellas county. We have 3 children from 5-10 so schools are important. Housing prices are high compared to TN and I understand homeowners insurance is ridiculous.

What area do you think we should live in for (Largo, Palm Harbor, HOliday, Pinellas Park, Dunedin, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs, etc.):

Affordable housing and insurance (below $250K w/at least 1800 square feet)

Good schools

Not too long of a commute from Largo

Family friendly (activities for kids, sports, cub scouts, etc.)

Church is very important and there is one in Pinellas Park and Clearwater.

Also, are the housing markets still dropping like crazy? We heard a rumor that buyers can come in and make low offers in relation to the actual asking prices and sellers will accept them.

Sorry for my rambling but I really want whatever information we can obtain.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 AM

36 posts, read 138,005 times
I personally would not live in Largo or Pinellas Park. It is much too crowded for me.
I would look at Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs to start with. I also would look at Safety Harbor.
Personally, I wouldn't look at Holiday, on the other hand, I would look into Trinity.

These are all personal choices mind you........ You really need to come down and visit before making a decision.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:56 PM

112 posts, read 364,411 times
The commute to Largo from Northern Pinellas/Southern Pasco could be ugly. But...Palm Harbor, Tarpon, Safety Harbor are all nice. Too much deeper in Pinellas can be iffy and further north the commute would be rough. Take a drive down US19 at 7:30am and you'll see what I mean about the commute.

I doubt many people will go for lowball offers unless the house has issues. Look around, maybe rent first (plenty there) and decide on a house after you're familiar with the area.

What I see is the market is getting slightly better, although houses aren't going up in price, just gradually selling.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:39 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
You might rent first and see which areas would work for you.
Large itself is nice to live, so is Seminole, which is close by.
Palm Harbor is a nice area to live, so is Safety Harbor and Oldsmar.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM

458 posts, read 598,472 times
I am a very happy guy right now. Two posters in a row actually suggested renting first in the area you think you would like, then buying if things work out.

It finally seems like the tide is turning. These over inflated housing prices will take years to come down. And that will only start in earnest once people realize how many great rentals are on the market in Florida and that the rent vs own numbers are way out of whack right now.

The Tampa-Sarasota-Bradenton area is overpriced by 30-40%. Be patient folks, rent for a year or so and reap the rewards.

I also like the low ball offer idea....you might be surprised how far sellers will come down after initially being 'insulted'. The realtor association puts out inflated sale prices so don't believe all the 'median' home price numbers you here. Plenty of for sale by owner properties are going for much lower prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay